Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

i think i have made a huge mistake but fixable,i have a massive amount of gap between the pushrod and rocker about a 1/4 inch maybe,when i bought the cam on special there was no warning about wont work with efi block,it has a small base circle ,i checked the old one and its lobes are much taller and base circle is fatter,so perhaps this cam suits older 302 blocks with roller lifters ?zVdwxZ8S_o.jpgpJOTOLpI_o.jpg

nah its a roller 224 @ hawaii 5\0 but i had no idea only a late model roller cam would fit, the small base circle cams since i just found out suit the older windsors ^_^ so there is trap to anyone else going down this path,i will ring em on monday and see if i can send it back or buy a early windsor for the next build and use this cam.

Coming along nicely!

Don’t forget to use thread sealer on the head bolts that go into the water jackets.

Get some AU spec rocker cover gaskets, they are reusable and seal perfectly, I don’t like the cork ones at all. Same with the manifold ends, just use sealer and use a bit around the water ports as well, I’m sure you are all over this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, NZXD said:

Coming along nicely!

Don’t forget to use thread sealer on the head bolts that go into the water jackets.

Get some AU spec rocker cover gaskets, they are reusable and seal perfectly, I don’t like the cork ones at all. Same with the manifold ends, just use sealer and use a bit around the water ports as well, I’m sure you are all over this though.

which bolts go into the water jacket ?

i am trying to find info on this small base circle cam,anyone else no anything about them ? 

Small base circle roller cams are commonly called retro fit roller hydraulic cams to suit the non roller blocks.

Small base circle roller cams are commonly called retro fit roller hydraulic cams to suit the non roller blocks.

Hey maybe you want it cause now im stuck with it ????? Or can you use it with longer pushrods on a roller block

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Hey maybe you want it cause now im stuck with it ????? Or can you use it with longer pushrods on a roller block

What’s the specs?

intake 218 exhaust 224 @hawaii 5/0- 1500 /5500 powerband 513 lift and 110 lobe sep,so its pretty mild with a bit of stick,all i did was smuther it in engine oil and put some cam breakin lube on the dizzy gear,then carefully fitted it and noticed the other roller cam was fatter,thats why my pushrods were too short about 1/8 of a inch maybe to 1/4 not too much but i reckon it could be used in a roller block with some longer pushrods ? i have sent a message to thunderhead289 and he should be able to tell me if its possible this guy is mr 302 windsor.pdw5Wr8S_o.jpg

So these outside bolts309043a3e021aa600a22118cc361852a.jpg

Yes, were they new bolts you fitted? They had torque to yeld head bolts from the factory that are a one time use as they stretch.

That bumpstick is a little to mild for me, my next build is having something around .600 lift and 240-250 duration.

yeah i just clean n paint everything that came with it,looks better for sale imo.

Yeah definitely looks good. I don’t think you’ll have any issue selling it.

yeah every engine i rebuild sells quite easy i dont ask much for it ,im planing on buying the 2nd 302 efi au 1999 engine down the wrecker as soon as this is sold it should have the gt40p heads which will give me a better base to start with,then take it from there i have been reading about the 331 stroker kit ,it doesnt need any block mods and drops straight in not bad for 990 us dollars forged pistons and scat crank n rods

Yes, were they new bolts you fitted? They had torque to yeld head bolts from the factory that are a one time use as they stretch.

Not the one I did. I had to replace them any way as some fuckwit previous mechanic lost one bolt and replaced it with a normal bolt.

Use holden head stud sealant, it’s the best stuff and the only decent thing to ever wear a holden badge.