Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

WINDSOR SMALLBLOCK TALK

Latley heaps of us are chatting about 302ws ect,,so i will start this thread with the 302w started showing up around 1968 in us and aust market and finished early 2000s,all sorts of names like mexican block or boss 302 block inc,there was many variants and roller blocks too.

Reading about Mexican blocks: despite what some have said of them, they're no stronger in construction than US ones, probably stemming from their use in a lot of trucks... and the assumption made that they're somehow a heavy-duty casting. The iron is apparently not as wear-resistant, meaning bores wear out more quickly.

Re: Boss blocks. They were essentially a tunnel-port block with 4V Clevo heads. Forged crank, 3/8" big-end bolts, The tunnel-port was a sad episode in engine failures. The ports were so extreme, that the motor had to scream upwards of 8500 rpm to make the numbers. The port runners were circular and so big that the corresponding pushrod had to go down the centre of it, running through a tube pressed into the head. Sort of like like the port entry from a red motor, albeit round, not rectangular.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

hey here is a good question if im gunna change this engine back to carby can i use the timing current efi timing chain cover or do i need to buy the earlyer one ,also do i need to change the balancer and flywheel back to 28once or just keep the 50 ounce ones ? 

hey here is a good question if im gunna change this engine back to carby can i use the timing current efi timing chain cover or do i need to buy the earlyer one ,also do i need to change the balancer and flywheel back to 28once or just keep the 50 ounce ones ? 

@NZXD

i bought the 302 efi engine from a nc fairlane im gunna get it tomorrow or later in the week it should be a roller block,does the sump vary from eb to xd/f ect ?
The sump will be fine, you have to keep the 58oz balancer and flex or you will have horrendous vibrations (possibly even break the crank) efi timing cover only suits the reverse rotation water pump

Im woofing all this sushi but all i can think about is that 02 roller

Reverse rotation, but coolant still flows the conventional way?
ie, out through the top hose?
cec97065cd318fc8214bc7f5f239b6dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Thom said:
12 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:
thom do our 302s have forged pistons ?

Eb to 97 el are supposed to, late el and au have a dish top hyperutectic piston

What about that other vid of it driving up the street, under load?
Btw, is it really your birthday today?

Yes it is, I'm 29 today, I'll dig up that video tomorrow

13 hours ago, Thom said:
14 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Yes it is, I'm 29 today, I'll dig up that video tomorrow

Happy Birthday dude! :)

Say what you like about the wheezor, but they always sound tits with a good set of pipes

Twin exhaust on my wagon, el short motor, gt40p's, au intake, stock manifolds and cats, twin 2 1/4 inch exhaust with x pipe

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk