Server maintenance Read more... ×
mcfly94

DIY Rebuild C4 (C10)

Hey guys, soon i want to rebuild my transmission.

At the moment its got some delay when selecting from reverse to netural then to drive, neutral-drive selection can sometimes be about 3 seconds before engaging. I think its got some worn seals inside.

I want to have a go at rebuilding it myself with my dad.

I was looking at something like this kit to rebuild

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-REBUILD-KIT-FORD-C4-C9-C10-high-performance-v8-6cy-/121088916904?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c31763da8

What are things to replace when rebuilding the C4? so far i know the reverse servo piston should be changed.

I also want to give it a bit more than standard, handle as much power as possible without going manual valve body, roller bearing, forged gears etc..

Ive read some stuff about oil modifications on the box.

Just after some advice.

I was quoted $1500 drive in drive out for around a 400hp box.

Its a C10 behind a crossflow.

Reverse servo piston

Full GSR kit (Gasket, seals + rings)

All clutches

front band

rear band

Front pump/converter bush

Extension housing bush

filter

#3 thrust washer

sprag/ roller clutch and springs

Forward diaphram spring

modulator

You'll find front planets are likely worn also . This is just a quick list . Not forgeting torque converter also and a good cooler

Reverse servo piston

All clutches

front band

rear band

Extension housing bush

filter

#3 thrust washer

Forward diaphram spring

modulator

You'll find front planets are likely worn also . This is just a quick list . Not forgeting torque converter also and a good cooler

thanks mate was acutally waiting for your reply. i fitted a large b&m cooler when i put the c10 behind the crossflow as well as i got a std reco torque converter of tyler06.

Just need to do the trans side of things.

Reverse servo piston

All clutches

front band

rear band

Extension housing bush

filter

#3 thrust washer

Forward diaphram spring

modulator

its got the 40-2 shift kit in at the moment would i need a new one?

also would kevlar bands be a good idea.

what are some good things to do to get it to hold that 400hp range.

Cooler will need flushing with clean solvent . If the converter is used really should be split and cleaned , unless the oil in there now is near on perfectly clean. Trouble is if reusing the fresh oil will wash any contaminents into your nice clean fresh trans

Kevlar bands are ok but not necessary . The factory linings on the bands give very good life or i like the red lining but not always available.

40-2 kit is fine to reuse but you must be familiar with how it is set up. Have seen many that have been reassembled incorrectly. The 40-2 gasket is different to the one in the rebuild kit so be careful . Either reuse the original if it is good or there is a small mod you can do to rge channel casting that you then use the stock gasket in the rebuild kit.

I like to add an extra clutch in top gear. Roller thrusts are a nice addition but not essential at that power . The list of different mods i do is endless :)

400 at the flywheel? A good rebuild paying close attention to all clearances , clutch packs and end float etc . An R servo, if yours is a 6 cyl is likely a B which is small apply. . The 5th clutch in top gear . The 40-2 kit gives plenty of line pressure for that power. There are some lube mods at the pump and #9 thrust washer .

And the front planet set as i mentioned . Most now are worn and need either replacement or rebuilding . There;s a few options .

yeah at the fly mate.

Its a c10, its already got an R servo.

Alright, sounds pretty achievable, although i may just get some else to do it for me, wouldnt want to make a mistake.