GRIFF

T5 and SOHC into XF

Hi all,

I have a 3 spd auto carbi xf. I have a LSD disc brake diff out of an e series I think that I want to put into my car. I know I need to change the master cylinder. Anything else? I think my dad said I might need to change hand brake cable.

I also want to t5 swap it. For that I will need a crossmember and gearbox mounts which I can get from Castlemaine Rod Shop or an XG or XH. A manual pedal box which I have at my local wreckers waiting to be picked up. Will I need a bellhousing out of a t5 XG?

And then later on this year I want to put an AU intech non VCT motor in. I can do the job I just need to find all the info and I've been reading up the past month and am struggling a little bit. If anyone has any info or can post links to threads that they know might have info it would be greatly appreciated. It dont want to pay someone to put it in id rather attempt it and learn something from it.  

So far I know I will need XG engine mounts, I will most likely go standalone ECU or chip the au ecu to bypass smartlock. Im going to need an xg bellhousing to adapt the t5 to the au motor in the future. XG swaybar doesnt clear the au sump so im gonna have to go custom I think.

Any more info or links is greatly appreciated.

Would not even think of doing stuff like this without this forum.

i'm heaps tired at the moment(think i have a cold or flu) so the brain isn't working as well as it should..
BUT..here's a few things you need to get IMPLANTED into your head.

XFs are VERY different to XGs. (XH heaps more.. almost nothing will fit)

• for your diff, brake master/booster will be fine, does your E series diff have the flat tailshaft plate? if so, your easiest solution is get an Eseries tail shaft(sedan for sedan) 
  • hand brake cable.. will need swapping also, if you have an EA EB ED diff, then get a handbrake cable from one of them..  EF EL diff. will need some custom stuff done(you may be able to cut and join between the 2)
  • T5 was available in XF, so if you can find the correct gearbox cross member it will bolt in(pre AU t5) no need for CRS anything.. 
  • T5 crossflow bell housing has always been reasonably rare, but they are out there. an XF to EL 6 cyl T5 bolts in on the crossflow bell housing and XF T5 cross member mount
  • if you are going OHC engine, then maybe wait till then to do the T5 conversion, because the ohc engine bell housing doesn't fit the crossflow and vice versa

• what do you like about the AU engine? i'd prefer a crossflow personally.  what you want to do has been done heaps of times now, i just used google and include this in the search..ohc into XF ozfalcon.com
    and got this as a result.. might give some details you are looking for? i can't be bothered checkng it right now

Also there's no need for xg engine mount chassis plates for an au engine unless you're going to use a log manifold instead of the bbm that's already on it. Xg's only had them so the log manifold would clear the strut tower whereas the with the bbm theres no such problem

I put a au engine in my xf earlier this year .

I used rod shop engine mounts to suit a Barra conversion as there the same blocks nearly
And a sway bar from tuff mounts to suit a Barra to clear the au sump .

I used a stock v8 core radiator but spun it around 180 degrees and welded the fittings on the other side of the radiator

I run straight lpg , and a dizzy out of a xe falcon .. I'm upgrading the ignition now but it works pretty well at 7psi Or would be good for carby/lpg n/a engine

You will just need a xf t5 crossmember for t5 conversion and a manual pedal box

34d53ac9add1f1a273259d64c55cdd79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/08/2018 at 8:39 PM, blackxt said:

I put a au engine in my xf earlier this year .

I used rod shop engine mounts to suit a Barra conversion as there the same blocks nearly
And a sway bar from tuff mounts to suit a Barra to clear the au sump .

I used a stock v8 core radiator but spun it around 180 degrees and welded the fittings on the other side of the radiator

I run straight lpg , and a dizzy out of a xe falcon .. I'm upgrading the ignition now but it works pretty well at 7psi Or would be good for carby/lpg n/a engine

You will just need a xf t5 crossmember for t5 conversion and a manual pedal box

34d53ac9add1f1a273259d64c55cdd79.jpg

thanks for that info that engine bay looks very nice :D

does anyone know if I could use an au t5 and driveshaft? What about BA

The shifter is a bit more set back on a au box , but you can use one .

11 hours ago, GRIFF said:

does anyone know if 6cyl xe t5 gearbox mounts/crossmember/pedal box will go straight into the xf?

if it's original 5 speed XE, it's not a T5(its a sigma style box that only came on a 3.3.. reverse next to 1st to check)

XF unleaded got the first T5, i think it might even be only from 1987?  

but a T5 from an XF is a bolt in for XE, they have the same cross member, so if it is a T5(reverse next to 4th) then yep, bolt in. no mods

does the actual size of the t5 box change requiring a different driveshaft to suit eg. xf,ed,el? Or must you only change to suit your diff. I know dean has already told me to get the driveshaft to suit the LSD im putting in which I recently got for free.

if you kept the original diff and fitted a T5 the tailshaft is fine if you had a BW40 auto or single rail. (or C4 even) 

if you change to the Eseries diff with the round flat yoke, you can actually swap to the crappy XF yoke (it will swap over if you know what you are doing...) but, the Eseries one is considered better(even though My 351 V8 used the XF type setup for years fine. ) 

the E series type is 4 bolts, do them up super tight and check them after a week, i'm sure they were loctite or thread locker paste originally. 

you will also need the correct speedo gear on the sender for whatever diff ratio you choose..