CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

thanks for that if i had unlimited budget i would buy those tmeyer ones but i want to check the factory high comp ones that are in it already ,and if the bore is ok and no piston movement,a good chance its ok cause it was sitting in a warehouse for 17 years that we know of,and its all there nothing missing,rags put in every open place,hell i reckon it would fire up,but i cant get to it until he re opens after time off for holidays,im also hoping my engine stand wont fold ,i have had a couple of clevos on it b4 with iron intakes n all,so it should hold ,i think it says 400kg .
400s are only about 20kg heavier than a clevo. It's mostly in the block, a bit in the crank and rods, and that big fuckoff manifold up top.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

hey has anyone seen those manifold adaptors from holley and price motorsports,where you can run a different range of manifolds on various blocks,like you could run a clevo air gap rpm performer 2v ,then the adaptor and put on the 400,more ideas.

yeah i have it on my watch list,kind of fitting the name (ACTION MAN MANIFOLD) and probly perfect choice,forget a single plane for a 400 unless throwing 10k at it.latest research today found correct emissions rocker cover decal for 1972 400.

hey has anyone seen those manifold adaptors from holley and price motorsports,where you can run a different range of manifolds on various blocks,like you could run a clevo air gap rpm performer 2v ,then the adaptor and put on the 400,more ideas.
They might have been the only option years ago, and were priced accordingly but now the price works out more than just buying a whole new manifold, unless you had an OEM clevo one to fit (like a 76DA iron 4-barrel). I also don't like the fact that there are twice as many gaskets and therefore potential leak points. Also carby (and air cleaner) height is even more of an issue.

ok update,hopefully the shop will be open tomorrow and i can pop in and do the deal,then get a tralier and take it home,im super keen to get it.
These are some casring marks that need to be identified on the block we are hoping for a cleveland foundry mark and not the m for Michigan 947e6126ca4adb3bf66535a659c5015d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

ok i bought the motor ,and found out its a DIF casting for dearborn foundry ,see picture maybe gerg can work out the casting date,look to me like 1e20 if thats correct its a first cab off the rank and 10.2.1,i took the air cleaner home,has nice vac original dizzy on it too,the seller said dont tell me too much about the engine or the price is going up so action man slapped the cash down.

ok i bought the motor ,and found out its a DIF casting for dearborn foundry ,see picture maybe gerg can work out the casting date,look to me like 1e20 if thats correct its a first cab off the rank and 10.2.1,i took the air cleaner home,has nice vac original dizzy on it too,the seller said dont tell me too much about the engine or the price is going up so action man slapped the cash down.
Pic6314d5c8dc8a3e749be8f677b4275450.jpgc70cf847ed02d157b6e73b0d597567be.jpgac91cabf15218279106caa89e91c7faa.jpg

Nice one mate, it's its a 10.2 you're cheering, re ring and bearing and stab a camshaft in her while you're at it! 

I can hear it now, with that Action+ on it and an E-907-P... 

Getting interesting

Im surprised how good the original blue is on the air cleaner base but the lid is average but not bad for 50 years old note small flange on the inside of the bottom of base ? Could be a holder to go on factory carby2fa92656c09554373a9673ebc2eee989.jpgc71d02d2357cd48f565b90531f6c14a6.jpge65e2b8453de436adfc8a07b66748361.jpg5758c88ae056852bffcd2e3ebb2086d3.jpg

Those ears look like they locate on the post in front of the choke horn on the Motorcraft carby. The 2 barrel that would have come with this engine is basically the front half of the 4 barrel carby you got from the wreckers

i also noted thismorning it still had the original cast iron FOMOCO water pump,original dizzy,even has engine mounts on it,i have seen where they re co a numbers correct say xw clevo waterpump and asking a million dollars for it,so i could get a new rotation pressed in maybe.

A really good read is ford m block history by BUBBA ,has all the ins and outs of the full history of the 400 and later 351m,and what can be swapped around and actual dates ford changed things around,right up until early 1983 when it was canned,he also goes on about our 2v closed heads,the demise of the 400,and something new i never new,ford made a beefy truck 400 block in later years of production ,resembles our 82 pillow block castings from geelong a bit,very interesting read.He also goes on about what gerg was saying about net and gross hp figures,as the first 1971 hi comp engine was 10.2.1.,and 260HP,but after that they started with net hp and 171hp,and so on,well worth giving a read.

A really good read is ford m block history by BUBBA ,has all the ins and outs of the full history of the 400 and later 351m,and what can be swapped around and actual dates ford changed things around,right up until early 1983 when it was canned,he also goes on about our 2v closed heads,the demise of the 400,and something new i never new,ford made a beefy truck 400 block in later years of production ,resembles our 82 pillow block castings from geelong a bit,very interesting read.He also goes on about what gerg was saying about net and gross hp figures,as the first 1971 hi comp engine was 10.2.1.,and 260HP,but after that they started with net hp and 171hp,and so on,well worth giving a read.
Interesting note i cleaned up these 4 big bottom pulleys just to see if any differences but 3 are your garden variety d3ae 6312 ca typical 351c a/c and p/s but the one on the left is doae 6312 c3 which is a 1970 one and measures up about 1/8th inch shorter i wonder did this have a spacer behind it or maybe its 351w the bottom of it is flat compared to the other 3 the good thing is my new 400 dont have a big ass pulley on it so i guess 1 off these should work625b48f8bef2da2ad45ddcde65540b85.jpg5b14fb30a7751dee65fb78125117ccfe.jpg30eda228da8874b4f74f7a8e21893d24.jpg

are these holes for balancing ? also i found this v8 engine mount are they the same for both sides ? just turn them around and how do you work out if its a xy or xa ?shFGCZMq_o.jpgjE7W5BoI_o.jpg

The V8 mounting brackets aren't the same for each side. One bolt is different on one corner, and mirrored so you can't swap sides. The 6 cyl ones are offset to mount the engine further forward due to extra length.

Those drillings are for balancing, but not for engine balance. It's just so the part itself has zero imbalance, leaving all external balancing to the harmonic balancer counterweight.