Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

hey do you think cleveland block huggers will fit a 400 in a x series as a alternate to std cast iron manifolds ?
I reckon they will if they tuck in tightly, but then the engine mounts are different so that may be an unforseen problem. Tower clearance might be very tight. I think spark plugs could be a weekend job.

The decks are over an inch taller than a clevo so I reckon the engine would sit at least 1/2” closer to the tower on each side.

Best way to determine any fitment issues is to measure the tower clearance on a clevo, get a measuring tape and add the difference in deck height to the top of the cylinder head to the tower at the closest point.

Bonnet clearance could become an issue as the manifold and carby also sit higher than stock. You would have to run a carby without a spacer and a drop base air cleaner, unless you like air cleaners sticking out.

Sump should be std clevo so a Falcon one should work.

I dunno how tunnel clearance will go with the big block C6, but I have heard that 429/460s are a total bolt-in, mounts and all, with no issues noted. I could be wrong on this, but I hope not. I would love to do this swap myself.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

thinking of getting a xc fairmont wagon or similar just getting some ideas,is xa xb xc any wider than xd xe xf ? probly forget xf as the heater box bulge is a no go.

thinking of getting a xc fairmont wagon or similar just getting some ideas,is xa xb xc any wider than xd xe xf ? probly forget xf as the heater box bulge is a no go.
The earlier 70s falcs would be better for bonnet clearance. Width wise, XA-B-C would be the same as XD-E-F. XY and earlier are the narrower ones.

any type of sedan is just pulling massive money now,but a wagon is not everybody's cup of tea,but a xa xb xc fairmont or falcon wagon is still in the game, had some weird thoughts about a concord front end with scott inj hat ,black paint job,chevy drop exhaust,with black steel wheels ect,and number plate 2VMAX🤔

another project car i havent forgotten about is a allan moffat special rotting away not far from here hidden from prying eyes,its number 442 of fivehundred built 302c rally pack ect,has all tags and already confirmed its the real deal thru the gt club,but i reckon if i tried to pull it out it would snap in half,sad really but would need a donor sedan to revive ,slight possibility it could be saved,it's all there i looked underneath borgy disc diff,air con,302c ,t bar,not pretty,could be the most rusted falc i have ever seen,owner wants 5k,grrrr maybe i can try to get it a bit cheaper,i did have some pics of it on here somewhere.

A bloke not too far from me has two XE wagons for sale. One is neat but has a bit of rust, the other is average exterior but quite solid. Asking 1500 the pair, getting them to you would be the killer.

grumpys performance centre in america has about 4 different master rebuild kits for the 400,with 71,72 then 73 to 77 then 78 to 82 ,might drive down to ol m8s and see if he can let me take the engine so we can go over it.

The good thing about these "stroker" engines (basically what they are) is that you can get away with a very mild valvetrain because you don't have to rpm the shit out of it to make power. I reckon a working limit of 5500 would still get you 300hp with some basic head work and still pull suburbs with the midrange torque. It might end up being a pretty cost-effective build on that front.

A modest redline is needed also if running stock rods and bolts. 4" stroke is more than a crossy or 300 six. It actually has the longest stroke of any production Ford engine, even longer than any big-blocks.

i have only seen 1 picture of a 4 barrel cast iron intake and it was a spreadbore,but weiand do a nice one as does edelbrock,or use the spacer kit and wack on a clevo assortment of manifolds but like gerg said yee aint gunna be spinning this engine too high ,a std performer style will work fine.

d0d3caa08fe2ff61efd1d2ec916d338d.jpg

939848b1f50e418060ad4a82f8946bcd.jpg

These were a torque/economy manifold back in the fuel crisis days, designed to be a high velocity, low performance solution for gas-guzzlers, sort of like the dual-port Offenhouser. I don't think it would increase performance over the stock one, but would have great torque down low.

Just look at those arrow slits for ports on the second pic

there is also another EGR  edelbrock 400 intake i see on e bay also more $$$ looks like a weiand accelerator sought of,and heaps of people are watching it ?? maybe thats the one to get.

there is also another EGR  edelbrock 400 intake i see on e bay also more $$$ looks like a weiand accelerator sought of,and heaps of people are watching it ?? maybe thats the one to get.
Hey check these 400 mounts now that looks like it will bolt on to our v8 chassis platesde2805050bbb720803aaa852f3520e8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Hey check these 400 mounts now that looks like it will bolt on to our v8 chassis platesde2805050bbb720803aaa852f3520e8b.jpg

Or these ,they come in a 3 bolt configuration for a 400 or 2 bolt for clevo54ec21feb0abee7512d865100244ba63.jpgb45a2df3b44520e055cef49e5bb2777f.jpg

I tried those cheapo ones on my 302, broke pretty quickly. I reckon a 400 will just laugh at one of those mounts

I found out also 2v clevo extractor will fit but 1 pipe mod is needed to clear steering box ,in easy terms needs a dent put in it but the normal cast iron units fit but will burn paint off the tower

I found out also 2v clevo extractor will fit but 1 pipe mod is needed to clear steering box ,in easy terms needs a dent put in it but the normal cast iron units fit but will burn paint off the tower

Just food for thought at this stage we know a 302w will fit straight in without hitting the heater pipes or steering gear fitted with extractors but the 400 im not sure about the passenger side heater box as it sticks out ,i have seen 351c in xf but heater pipes were cut its going to cost about the same to set both engines up with mounts ect any ideas ? Sell the 5.o which is a safe bet in fittments or get busy with dummy fitting the 400 first while the crossy is out ? And then the c6 hmmmm8d0b90253bb71e7360d93adb1997fb45.jpgacb5daf4f778ea5d9d11bf6c760f6f38.jpg