Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

where do you get 080 pistons ? i cant find any on e bay .

i just googled and got this link.. if it suits?
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/pistons/make/ford/engine-size/7-5l-460/engine-family/ford-big-block-385-series/bore-in/4-440-in/stroke/4-500-in

I scored a crank spacer this morning you need this on a early internally balanced crank9c35295bc7af31f39c60c52bd22958d1.jpg655bfb1fb88b069525b34e7a7534da9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Great information but just was more wanting to know if it's worth me looking a doing a bb or keep looking at the stoker on my spare block

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Great information but just was more wanting to know if it's worth me looking a doing a bb or keep looking at the stoker on my spare block

Big blocks are cheap horsepower but heavy. Strokers get it done with much less weight but the bits are expensive, only the block basically remains, everything else is turfed for new bits

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Big blocks are cheap horsepower but heavy. Strokers get it done with much less weight but the bits are expensive, only the block basically remains, everything else is turfed for new bits

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Yea the plan was 408 stoker for the van, but never been sure on a bb, like I have the spare 302 at home, just more of a price weigh up on things on parts as I build myself and the machine work gets done for me at cost or less

Yea the plan was 408 stoker for the van, but never been sure on a bb, like I have the spare 302 at home, just more of a price weigh up on things on parts as I build myself and the machine work gets done for me at cost or less

Either is good ,mounts n extractors are easy to find,460 van is mega

i took the block down to the machine shop,took the cam bearings and 1 piston to give him something to look at when honing the block,so this time next week we can start to put it together hopefully,i also bought a book on big block building ,should get deliverd soon.

i found a set of caps for the other block ,getting them next month,at least thats something and got them cheap so a line bore is not out of the question anymore,and it will give me another 460 to build or 429 ,im thinking of doing a nice 429 just for something different,rods are the same and pistons are cheap as chips from usa as most go for the 460 build,just some ideas at this stage.

i found a set of caps for the other block ,getting them next month,at least thats something and got them cheap so a line bore is not out of the question anymore,and it will give me another 460 to build or 429 ,im thinking of doing a nice 429 just for something different,rods are the same and pistons are cheap as chips from usa as most go for the 460 build,just some ideas at this stage.
The book is heree1ea5e498dfa69a663fa0a7498e2f110.jpg01ab1ed3bd93f15f33a482e5eb546ca6.jpg

yes it even has red flags on things you must do on re assembly ,there is a tiny hole in one of the inlet ports that must be plugged and bottom hole on timing cover goes into the water jacket and must use sealer.

also you cant put a early crank in a 79 onwards block because it will hit the block,later 460 cranks are slightly smaller on the counterweight ,and later blocks from d9te have a little bit taller deck height and is the one to go for if building a stroker,also D6 truck conrods are the same strength as cobra jet rods and im lucky to have a set,and also have better bolts.

also you cant put a early crank in a 79 onwards block because it will hit the block,later 460 cranks are slightly smaller on the counterweight ,and later blocks from d9te have a little bit taller deck height and is the one to go for if building a stroker,also D6 truck conrods are the same strength as cobra jet rods and im lucky to have a set,and also have better bolts.
Update,I got the block back in better than I thought cond,then spent a few hrs giving it its 2nd final clean,wd it,now wait a few days before painting the block,he fitted the pistons as well,also scored a timing pointer this morning.dbe6f41bef30b31423d3b34516f2cfd4.jpg100c30737b9bfa4e99c75cee516514a6.jpgd2be19cc9298663a93eb200986d0bb7c.jpge69b3bcfb8125f83df1a52cfe5232fe8.jpg277bdf67662d08312471fe302717953c.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, CHESTNUTXE said:

Almost correct .. Spot on for the crank counterweights . The D9 blocks are same deck height, the difference is the bores are a bit longer downwards  which in a stroker setup adds a little extra for the piston.  Although in theory that is good , in reality it doesn't really make a huge difference 

Had my ocd maxing out ! 
Well it could be , problem is evrytime I take a pic on that driveway the camera makes it look x5 worse than it actually is,if in the garage they seem to be fine,interesting thing about scratches I once took a 400 clevo crank to the machine shop to get it milled and he said that big scratch won't affect its performance,he could have easy said ahh yeah m8 $350 to mill it but he didn't and just got the crank linished and it was fine I guess maybe what angle the scratch or scouring is.