Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

The 400 reco engine sold last night,$4000,picking up saturday,that facebook marketplace is 1000 times better than e bay,in just 2 days i had 2000 looks instead of 50 looks for 7 days on e bay,now have some cash to look at some wheels for my own 400 engine,but slim pickings out there ,i hope i can snag something that is not advertised,prefer xe sedan roller .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2526886650938225/permalink/2705840163042872/?sale_post_id=2705840163042872

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

a zk fairlane would be ok cause it has the firewall in the normal v8 position,the xf pushes in a bit more that makes the heater non usable ,and for a family car i think i would need it working,and for a roady as well,seems zl is quite easy to find and still an ok car,but i need a earlyer model where a c4 t bar fits spot on and prefer xe sedan or zk i will consider most models,even a xe wagon would be a good machine jacked up high at the rear and big duel exhaust ect,,,and of corse raised white lettering on the tyres.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

a zk fairlane would be ok cause it has the firewall in the normal v8 position,the xf pushes in a bit more that makes the heater non usable ,and for a family car i think i would need it working,and for a roady as well,seems zl is quite easy to find and still an ok car,but i need a earlyer model where a c4 t bar fits spot on and prefer xe sedan or zk i will consider most models,even a xe wagon would be a good machine jacked up high at the rear and big duel exhaust ect,,,and of corse raised white lettering on the tyres.

zl floor is the same as xe, it only changed in late xf utes and vans

yes but im talking about the bulge in the passenger side firewall where the heater box  goes,a 400 or 351c head hits the heater pipes and unless major surgury is done there is no room for the hoses to link up,some have smoothed the firewall and used a xe heater in that combo but i think its just better to start with a xe or zk or even fd ltd,i have many people looking for a car for me i dont mind if its a xe shell cause i can build it the way i want it.

its not the first clevo to make 1000hp ahh ok maybe n/a ,ben gatt 351c has been making 1800hp for years but that is blown.
And likely a factory block, seeing as aftermarket ones weren't around back then. Maybe a pillow... That was as good as it got though

his engine at the time was a fontana alloy clevo block from usa,but back in the day he said the normal clevo block starts splitting around 900hp lol.
I didn't know that, I thought it was all iron

That pretty much goes for any build on an engine more than 30 years old though Bear, they simply weren't made with the metallurgy, and the aid of cad and stress test modelling like they are now.

I don't know where one should draw the line as to when an engine design is no longer considered original... What would you call a factory 351W block with CHI heads, Eagle crank and rods, forged pistons, roller cam conversion, tunnel ram manifold, dry-sumped, serpentine belt drive... Is it a Clevor? It doesn't have actual Clevo heads though. But because it's a block cast in a Ford plant, it's still legit, despite nothing else being factory?

It's a very grey area that I struggle to deal with myself.

true that bear and gets back to the ford vs chev thing in original form from the factory in the late 60s and 70s,ford was king ,like put a 351c vs a 350 chev the ford 4v wins.
Even in trans-am racing, with a 5 litre size limit, the Chev DZ 302 vs Boss 302 (ie: apples for apples), the Ford had a 20hp advantage in race trim. Holdener built factory-correct test motors of each and the Ford made more power with much less cam.

my oil filter thing came from the usa ,says suits 335 series and big block ,this is going on my 400 ,couldnt find any company here that does them ,also has a big allen key hex to screw it in,im also back at work ,i got my old job back i started on monday and things are looking up,now i can think about a roller cam and spend a bit more where it is needed.gYCERHs4_o.jpg

11 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

,im also back at work ,i got my old job back i started on monday and things are looking up

good news on the job, I'm surprised Qld would be affected this long, but i guess there's no tourists coming in. 

just about everybody here on the gold coast is in the tourism trade,its 28 deg here atm and just had that mega storm go thru ,also buying a fridge today just as a spare 2nd hand one,she said just put it in the garage,before i bought it i made sure a borg warner centre would fit in the freezer to shrink it a few thou cause dont have a spreader.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

its not the first clevo to make 1000hp ahh ok maybe n/a ,ben gatt 351c has been making 1800hp for years but that is blown.

We did it years ago :)    The old RDP ute , Factory clevo block from the wreckers ,  C302B heads , 2 x 88mm Turbos  1273 RWHP . It went on to run 8.50 

That factory block never let us down . And i can verify it was every bit a factory clevo block..  Was grouted to welch plugs . The only thing in the block was some fretting of the main caps @ 8200 rpm :) 

That same day I got to take  that car ontrack for powercruise . It was fast :) 

1273rwhp Ford BA Xr8 Ute by RDP Motorsport USA - YouTube

Ford Ba XR8 Twin Turbo Ute at the Drags Testing Built by RDP Motorsport - YouTube

Twin Turbo Ford XR8 Ute by RDP Motorsport - YouTube

As much as I hate to admit my association with this lol  But it sure was a learning curve back then .. But all relevant to this conversation here .

This was the same block prior to turbo's. Again factory clevo block , lots of nitrous 

World's Fastest Cleveland Powered Ford Cortina Streetcar by RDP Motorsport USA - YouTube