CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

OK, Clevo fans......

Question : Mates 351 2V Top Loader XA.  Won't idle below 1500-1700 rpm. Initially, the fuel was causing rough running, (rust in tank) so we pulled the tank, replaced the rubber lines, new fuel pump, new fuel filter. Blew all the hard lines backwards. Changed carby 3 times. (2 Holleys and a TQ.) Changed dissy, then New distributor. New leads. New plugs. New coil. She fires up fairly easily, revs sweet and hard above 1500, but wont run below this. Coughs and backfires. Checked for vacuum leaks quickly (carb cleaner while running), all ports on carby blocked or connected. Chased a few wires that looked dodgy, changed out alternator, new earth lead..........

Thoughts, Ideas...?? 

OK, Clevo fans......

Question : Mates 351 2V Top Loader XA.  Won't idle below 1500-1700 rpm. Initially, the fuel was causing rough running, (rust in tank) so we pulled the tank, replaced the rubber lines, new fuel pump, new fuel filter. Blew all the hard lines backwards. Changed carby 3 times. (2 Holleys and a TQ.) Changed dissy, then New distributor. New leads. New plugs. New coil. She fires up fairly easily, revs sweet and hard above 1500, but wont run below this. Coughs and backfires. Checked for vacuum leaks quickly (carb cleaner while running), all ports on carby blocked or connected. Chased a few wires that looked dodgy, changed out alternator, new earth lead..........

Thoughts, Ideas...?? 
Firing order ?

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

My mate's XB coupe had similar issues and I think I've described them before on here, and after pretty much doing everything you did (throwing parts like grenades at it), turned out to be the supply to the electronic dizzy coming from the old points 9v resistor wire. Went direct from the battery and vroom! Started first kick.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, gerg said:

My mate's XB coupe had similar issues and I think I've described them before on here, and after pretty much doing everything you did (throwing parts like grenades at it), turned out to be the supply to the electronic dizzy coming from the old points 9v resistor wire. Went direct from the battery and vroom! Started first kick.

Pretty sure we've rigged up a jumper wire already, thinking the rodents had got in. She starts OK, runs sweet with revs, but won't idle. Sat there with the carb idle screwed in for 10 minutes, ran like a top. Kitted out the 600 Holley vac sec, so acc pump works, butterflies are closing/opening when they should, sealant on adaptor plate. etc, etc...

Doing my head in...... 

Maybe electrical.?  Would have thought it would cough under heavy load, but seems the opposite. 

The exhaust crossover hasn't rusted through? Brake booster failed? Is there fuel dripping out the boosters?

If it only idles above 1700, the throttle will be open so far that the idle screws will do nothing anyway, seeing as that circuit won't be working at that amount of opening.

Is the EGR connected? Is the passage blocked off?

I dunno, just clutching at straws here mate

Yeah me too.!!  The brain bucket is nearly dry.......... Nothing dripping as far as I can see, but revving it to 1500 rpm, and sticking your face over the carb is highly dangerous, if the rvs drop she backfires and fuel/air/smoke come spewing out.  I already go no hair, but, like my eyebrows. LMAO.  

Hadn't thought of the exhaust crossover.......hmmmm.. 

Told my mate we would prob pull the manifold/valve covers off next time. just to reseal them. She doesn't get driven very often, so sits for months at a time. Not a new engine, been in there 15 years, cast iron manifold.

Yeah me too.!!  The brain bucket is nearly dry.......... Nothing dripping as far as I can see, but revving it to 1500 rpm, and sticking your face over the carb is highly dangerous, if the rvs drop she backfires and fuel/air/smoke come spewing out.  I already go no hair, but, like my eyebrows. LMAO.  

Hadn't thought of the exhaust crossover.......hmmmm.. 

Told my mate we would prob pull the manifold/valve covers off next time. just to reseal them. She doesn't get driven very often, so sits for months at a time. Not a new engine, been in there 15 years, cast iron manifold.
Bear you need my reco 2vs lol

Bear you need my reco 2vs lol

I bought a drill and small bench grinder ,made life a lot easyer clening up the valves,also the machine shops are charging $90 per head to clean them up ? I thought that was a bit steep what do you reckon d484265019b1070d9f6311f6b56f09a9.jpgd42a20c8dfb21c826612867c641f0855.jpg

for $90 a head, what are they doing?
 just hot tanking? 

i'd be more concerned with the valve seats, guides and the valve condition Myself.. 

Nah just per head mill $90 tanking is $50 a pair

5 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

surface grind? not able to do that with a bench grinder(can do it on a sheet of glass or a big stone for LOTS of work?) 

Head mill is fair enough. There's quite a bit of setup work involved, especially if the valve hardware gets in the way of the spacers, getting the head sitting square to the table, the labour needed to do the cut itself (most shops are over $100 an hour just for that), plus wear and tear on machinery, overheads, rent, it's a tough gig doing your own business.

If it's just a plain surface grind, that should be a lot cheaper. They just pass the head over a rotating wheel to basically put a new surface on it, but that really won't correct any warpage it might have.

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

hmmmm,i might give it a go ,2 x sheets of 100 grit,but what about to finish ,i think a saw 400 

said 120 then 240 from what i saw. 

on a thick sheet of perspex(that's probably where the $50 went?)  

i guess it would depend what you are building but if i was spending thousands on a GOOD engine,  $180(2 heads)  to be done right is a drop in the ocean. are they also doing the intake and exhaust surfaces for that? if so, even more bargain. 

i reckon you'd get sick of pushing a head back and forth pretty soon.  i'd more likely do it just to see IF it's got uneven patches.. if not i'd possibly use it just clean, otherwise i'd be getting it machined

said 120 then 240 from what i saw. 
on a thick sheet of perspex(that's probably where the $50 went?)  

i guess it would depend what you are building but if i was spending thousands on a GOOD engine,  $180(2 heads)  to be done right is a drop in the ocean. are they also doing the intake and exhaust surfaces for that? if so, even more bargain. 
i reckon you'd get sick of pushing a head back and forth pretty soon.  i'd more likely do it just to see IF it's got uneven patches.. if not i'd possibly use it just clean, otherwise i'd be getting it machined
I never get sick of pushing my head backwards and forwards

3 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

I never get sick of pushing my head backwards and forwards

i got sick of banging my head against the wall at most jobs i worked at

i got sick of banging my head against the wall at most jobs i worked at
1 of the 82 black heads is back and olm8 said its ok but the other 1 needs 2 k line guides and 2 seats as he is doing this later and pick up tomorrow but im stoked with condition out of the tank even surfaces look goodbc84117861e62a5437e4a7a73b6270a9.jpg3da52b032e9292c826a2f3d51cfb66a4.jpg15d3b7732cf46ed3484a3873a471e104.jpgfbb8ef253db8331d3d5537694f28aede.jpg

i orderd a set of 400 mounts today that suit xa to xg $280 and bolt to our v8 chassis plates,castlemain rod shop do em,and he was surprised how many sets they have sold,its gunna take 2 weeks cause he is out of stock,sure beats mucking around with spacers and crap,i will post a pic as soon as i get em.outback jack would like the fact that they fit a xg🤣

i orderd a set of 400 mounts today that suit xa to xg $280 and bolt to our v8 chassis plates,castlemain rod shop do em,and he was surprised how many sets they have sold,its gunna take 2 weeks cause he is out of stock,sure beats mucking around with spacers and crap,i will post a pic as soon as i get em.outback jack would like the fact that they fit a xg
Ok i cleaned up even more just one head and now get it ready for some ford dark blue then go and grab my other head that has been fixed250f603f61293ac5fb73de11012ecba5.jpge4731976269c3d61f470c71ad9f28d11.jpgdba61675f6fc7031ccb0f1aa6a47f1b5.jpg0125363bf1f31b33c2783f82592f0d62.jpg

Ok i cleaned up even more just one head and now get it ready for some ford dark blue then go and grab my other head that has been fixed250f603f61293ac5fb73de11012ecba5.jpge4731976269c3d61f470c71ad9f28d11.jpgdba61675f6fc7031ccb0f1aa6a47f1b5.jpg0125363bf1f31b33c2783f82592f0d62.jpg

The clevo heads are painted i also found a new smoke called cleveland 6bb36bf3ba92a352acb9cb9c5552eeae.jpg044e7098f9f75bda1f486bacfc6facea.jpgda34736b33211a75669c320d6687b0d4.jpgc81064858b5beff901916e1da0e584ce.jpg0a66ebb7b20e4d0dc4ef2c2cc142c79c.jpg

cleveland's are bad for your health going by that picture.. 
No I think it's actually the other way around... Having a clevo takes you from being on your your death bed to happy face, healthy mullet and 'stache