Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

[mention=43]Thom[/mention] had some of that stitch repair on one of his old engines. 

i'd have thought on a water jacket area that could be welded/braised? 
Never seen this before either a 5 maB 400 crank could be a rare onec169899eb6acdc0f016e660411d11c96.jpg9ee94a94b031777a6421484d506fd4d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

ok a 5 MA B 400 crank is just a late revision of the casting,looks like this engine was put together with a bunch of different year parts,that 5mab is a late model crank i did some research before,so im on the hunt for another block lets see what the 400 gods have on offer.

ok a 5 MA B 400 crank is just a late revision of the casting,looks like this engine was put together with a bunch of different year parts,that 5mab is a late model crank i did some research before,so im on the hunt for another block lets see what the 400 gods have on offer.
Well a 4MA-B is supposedly a modular 351 crank with Brinell hardness testing. Is that the case with these?

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Well a 4MA-B is supposedly a modular 351 crank with Brinell hardness testing. Is that the case with these?

Late model 1978 to 82 truck 400s got some beefier options and comp as high octane unleaded was now available at the time also this is very common on blocks that dont get empteid from coolant or water in very cold areas appart from that the block was ok and still fixable but for $500 i have found a 1978 351m block in melb std bore in vgc cast nov 78 but freight is gunna be a killer i posted an add on Facebook for a block lets see what comes of it.Also tomorrow im traveling inland to see a good ol boy with 8 clevo std bore blocks and he hasnt advertised them 3 black blocks 1 is f series 1 is jg34 xd or xe block and 1 is a fd 351 ltd block i have this gut feeling its a pillow block as he just said its one of the good last blocks he has had in storage for years the other 5 block's are the older clevo ones but still good he said and std bore im taking a wad of cash and planning on buying the lot will post pics tomorrow afo when i get home.

Late model 1978 to 82 truck 400s got some beefier options and comp as high octane unleaded was now available at the time also this is very common on blocks that dont get empteid from coolant or water in very cold areas appart from that the block was ok and still fixable but for $500 i have found a 1978 351m block in melb std bore in vgc cast nov 78 but freight is gunna be a killer i posted an add on Facebook for a block lets see what comes of it.Also tomorrow im traveling inland to see a good ol boy with 8 clevo std bore blocks and he hasnt advertised them 3 black blocks 1 is f series 1 is jg34 xd or xe block and 1 is a fd 351 ltd block i have this gut feeling its a pillow block as he just said its one of the good last blocks he has had in storage for years the other 5 block's are the older clevo ones but still good he said and std bore im taking a wad of cash and planning on buying the lot will post pics tomorrow afo when i get home.

Bloody hell mate, where do you find all these gems?

Bloody hell mate, where do you find all these gems?

I was hoping dean@kdx could go pick it up its at a suburb called st aubans

40 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

I was hoping dean@kdx could go pick it up its at a suburb called st aubans

StAlbans is not near Me,  50km and at least an hour away across the other side of the CBD, besides that, i don't have a car that works, or an engine crane or freedom lol or an interest in going to "stab albans" as it's known at night time. 

StAlbans is not near Me,  50km and at least an hour away across the other side of the CBD, besides that, i don't have a car that works, or an engine crane or freedom lol or an interest in going to "stab albans" as it's known at night time. 
I love suburb nicknames that locals give them, and for very real reasons

17 minutes ago, gerg said:

I love suburb nicknames that locals give them, and for very real reasons emoji23.png

there's plenty like that,  Footscray (footscrazy), Bayswater (Bongswater) Cranbourne (crimeburn) 
i'm probably missing at least 20 that i've heard 

there's plenty like that,  Footscray (footscrazy), Bayswater (Bongswater) Cranbourne (crimeburn) 
i'm probably missing at least 20 that i've heard 
Haha there's always one that you can work the word "crime" into. Yeah we got heaps in Sydney... Chestnut will vouch for that

Cranebrook = Crimebrook
Mount Druitt = "the Druitt", Mounty County or just 2770
Rooty Hill = Shagger's Ridge
Minto = Minno
Lalor Park = Trailer Park
Sutherland = "The Shire"
Werrington = Derro-ton
Penrith = The Riff
Blacktown = Slacktown

ok just got home,had a look at what he had and struck out on the pillow block but the 8 blocks assorted pistons and rods ,some engines are semi complete so i ended doing a deal for $1200 and he delivers them ,he also had a 429 engine im interested in ,so i bought 8 clevos and checked the bore and they all seem to check out around 101mm ,i suppose just clean em up and the complete 302c engine i plan to use the heads on my 400 and other bits n pieces off it,so a lot of work coming my way,the jh63 block i was certain it would have been a pillow block just the 2 bolt variety but nope std black block and the jh71 ltd the same 😪☺️☺️☺️

i have this idea of making my own hot tank or rust removal tank out of a 44 gallon drum or a big steel bin from bunnings,the blocks i bought will all need a really good clean and surface rust removal,but buying say enough chemical to half fill a drum is very expensive,only other way might be doing a deal at the machine shop to dip 8 blocks in his tank ? 

i have this idea of making my own hot tank or rust removal tank out of a 44 gallon drum or a big steel bin from bunnings,the blocks i bought will all need a really good clean and surface rust removal,but buying say enough chemical to half fill a drum is very expensive,only other way might be doing a deal at the machine shop to dip 8 blocks in his tank ? 
He it is the rare single plane 400 edelbrock manifold placed next to the dual plane52b167d555825c82aa5ae80a6c2799aa.jpgf226733fba0f6903449d2c1d3cb4d3e9.jpg2f4d359e4d3115f4de3e3cea64dd9971.jpgacf77b1ab41da625c01d5f28af87cbd5.jpg01cdb0ef60a3dafc0e2ced6bcd1d95b9.jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 9:57 PM, deankdx said:

hey dean i saw on the news thismorn that someone had been stabbed in stab albans you were right

47 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

hey dean i saw on the news this morn that someone had been stabbed in stab albans you were right

that's probably only ONE that made the news, i bet there's been more than just that one

that's probably only ONE that made the news, i bet there's been more than just that one

I also scored 9 std bore clevos they all need cleaning and de rusting quite a good selection from 1973 to 1982 i figure to just clean em up and maybe sell a few becoming hard to find in std borefa3a7587526587302f686e4f62673e15.jpg

He it is the rare single plane 400 edelbrock manifold placed next to the dual plane52b167d555825c82aa5ae80a6c2799aa.jpgf226733fba0f6903449d2c1d3cb4d3e9.jpg2f4d359e4d3115f4de3e3cea64dd9971.jpgacf77b1ab41da625c01d5f28af87cbd5.jpg01cdb0ef60a3dafc0e2ced6bcd1d95b9.jpg

I reckon the Weiand will be a better manifold on anything but a drag car. Looks like quite a nice design.

looking at the single plane for days while ozfalcon was offline i was sold that it was higher than the weiand but nope the dual is about 1/2 inch taller,just finding a 400 single plane is a mission as only in the 80s they were available new im stoked with this one just needs a tidy up.among the clevo haul is a 302 xc engine i will use the heads off this for my own 400 build,also a 1981 LTD short motor black block still turns easy and a few other black blocks ,others are all xb fairlane and falcon f100 d2ae blocks std bore ,im still searching for a product that i can submerge the blocks in to get rid of the surface rust,they are all usable i have seen a lot worse brought back to life .

looking at the single plane for days while ozfalcon was offline i was sold that it was higher than the weiand but nope the dual is about 1/2 inch taller,just finding a 400 single plane is a mission as only in the 80s they were available new im stoked with this one just needs a tidy up.among the clevo haul is a 302 xc engine i will use the heads off this for my own 400 build,also a 1981 LTD short motor black block still turns easy and a few other black blocks ,others are all xb fairlane and falcon f100 d2ae blocks std bore ,im still searching for a product that i can submerge the blocks in to get rid of the surface rust,they are all usable i have seen a lot worse brought back to life .

If you can get to a produce store, you can buy bulk molasses and dip them in that for a week or two. Apparently a very good old-school method

if i take the blocks to the machine shop olm8 is gunna charge an arm and a leg to hot tank and dip in rust solution ,he has some citrus fluid he dips em in ,i might go there this morn and see if we can strike a cheaper deal from him.

On 5/30/2021 at 7:16 AM, CHESTNUTXE said:

Check out the  haulass Garage Hot tank, a Billy Bob gem