Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

CLEVELAND ENGINE TALK

clevo 1000hp

Saw that today, I don't think it's an actual clevo block. It's got serious cubes on board, I reckon it's a 4.185 bore, 4.25 or something stroke, that block looked like alloy too but didn't see much. Could be an Arrow?

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

could be something like that,does look like a dart or even a hush hush type prototype block from usa but hey imagine throwing that pro stock like manifold on it and play to the sound of 8 trumpets

On 12/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, gerg said:

Saw that today, I don't think it's an actual clevo block. It's got serious cubes on board, I reckon it's a 4.185 bore, 4.25 or something stroke, that block looked like alloy too but didn't see much. Could be an Arrow?

Dart or Arrow is my bet.

It's a 4.235 stroke and 4.18 bore for 465ci or 7,620cc. Good Lord. Check the video at 5:10 for the specs - they do a card on screen.

And 14.2:1 compression? Far out.

Honestly I would consider a larger combo at that point. There are plenty of 500+ cube engines that will do over 1000hp without having such extreme specs, although the fact this thing is essentially a "smallblock" does have a few merits.

- boingk

Dart or Arrow is my bet.

It's a 4.235 stroke and 4.18 bore for 465ci or 7,620cc. Good Lord. Check the video at 5:10 for the specs - they do a card on screen.

And 14.2:1 compression? Far out.

Honestly I would consider a larger combo at that point. There are plenty of 500+ cube engines that will do over 1000hp without having such extreme specs, although the fact this thing is essentially a "smallblock" does have a few merits.

- boingk

They do the 14.2:1 comp because the cam is so massive. You hear it crank over and it sounds like my mum's Aurion, doesn't smack itself in the face at all. Dynamic comp with that massive bumpstick would be much more reasonable and I reckon it would be on the jungle juice too.

Even tho i sold the 400 ute,im starting to get keen again to do something else,i spent hrs today reaserching usa forums and ford mumbo jumbo to find out where the hell can you get a 400 block that bolts straight to a aussie chassis cause i aint going thru the same crap as last time trying to find information on correct 400 usa mounts and the truth is there aint any,but i have had some victory on todays search,ok in 1973 ford cast a dual pattern 400 block to suit c4 or fmx transmission casting number D3AE-B this is the 400 block that has undrilled std cleveland engine mounting bosses that can be drilled to fit normal aussie v8 mounts,it also has the std 400 3 bolt bosses as well,and the rumor has it that ford was worried about demand for the 351c block and in 1973 changed the casting so it could whack them in panterras if the 351c ran out of stock,but this never happend ,so i might ring around and try and find one of these suckers they were made in 73 only and even in the usa it seems like a rare item as well but not impossible to find.20200720_101851_cbfc8f5462db8e497059e81d11b7adb5352a53a7.jpg

Start looking at wrecked older Ford trucks Chestnut. Quite a few rocked 460 big blocks.
The first thing you do with a 460 is throw the heads in the bin, cause they are s*** and need so much work to get them to flow properly it's cheaper to buy Ali heads that flow heaps better. So you only need a short motor, then whack on a set of after market heads.
I saw a completely rebuilt 460 on eBay a couple weeks ago for 8 grand, that's a drop in complete motor.

400 is a waste of time. Stroker 51 or 460 if you want cubes.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

aparently the 429 came out before the 460 i think ,weight would be the same i guess,plenty of aftermarket alloy heads for big blocks would drop the weight a bit plus alloy intake,as for the 400 i seem to have developed a soft spot for them just because they are different,if i could find one of the d3 blocks a c4 could be fitted and the tailshaft would slip straight in with no mods ,with the c6 last time i had to get the tailshaft cut and shortned in the ute because the c6 was longer than borgy or c4/fmx,saying that there is also a c4 casefill bell that fits big block 460 or std 400 bolt pattern,i e mailed temeyer about finding one of these blocks but i dont like my chances of finding one here in australia but stranger things have happend,2 people i have spoken to here in oz said they bolted their 400 straight to aussie v8 mounts so they are around,when all this covid goes away im gunna ask an importer who has contacts in usa junkyards to try and source one or if all fails go a 460 block and fit a 557 kit .

hehe few around Vic on facebook, Saw 400M with big block Bell patten for $1600 (South central vic,) was like Hmm,

also saw a 521 stroker short block near (Shepparton Vic) for $5500, (listed as 532 but is only 0.030" over)

460 short or block (can't remember) in Melbourne $1400,

isn't the 3 bolt engine mount patten on the 351/400M just the big block patten? EG> CRS big block mount

6 hours ago, bear351c said:

Yeah, always wanted a 429/460. Drop in some 10:1 pistons, and 400 lazy HP.  

Big, heavy old lump over the front wheels, though. 

No , not at all .. With aluminium heads weight is basically same as an all iron clevo.. 400HP lol , not hard to make 6-700.

Really all you need is a block , by time you get a good set of rods , might as well get a crank as well , Hello 500+ cubes :)  

I use the factory bells and C4's :)  The factory bells are for Pan fill type cases 

14 minutes ago, FORD_MAN said:

hehe few around Vic on facebook, Saw 400M with big block Bell patten for $1600 (South central vic,) was like Hmm,

also saw a 521 stroker short block near (Shepparton Vic) for $5500, (listed as 532 but is only 0.030" over)

460 short or block (can't remember) in Melbourne $1400,

isn't the 3 bolt engine mount patten on the 351/400M just the big block patten? EG> CRS big block mount

the 400 3 bolt mount is a little different to the 460 but in saying that yesterdays research did uncover someone posting contact CRS for 400 mounts ,could be they just make the top plate to suit a 400 bolt pattern ,just for the hell of it i might call them tomorrow to find this out as it could be a make it as you need it part ? 

3 hours ago, gregaust said:

No , not at all .. With aluminium heads weight is basically same as an all iron clevo.. 400HP lol , not hard to make 6-700.

Really all you need is a block , by time you get a good set of rods , might as well get a crank as well , Hello 500+ cubes :)  

I use the factory bells and C4's :)  The factory bells are for Pan fill type cases 

Totally agree, mate. Just saying 400 with iron heads, intake etc, and heavy. 

Hell if I could afford it, I'd drop some ally heads on the Clevo. 

15 hours ago, gregaust said:

a guy not far from here is selling a big block bell to suit c4 case fill ? $450 maybe they made both case and pan fill ones ?

Totally agree, mate. Just saying 400 with iron heads, intake etc, and heavy. 

Hell if I could afford it, I'd drop some ally heads on the Clevo. 

There's about 12 kg going from 351C to 400, probably a few in the wider manifold, heftier 400 crank worth a few more again, the block is taller of course but all done, for the sake of less than an extra cement bag over the front axle, 50 extra cubes is well worth it. 

Going up to a big block is a massive jump in weight.

351C - 550lbs

400/351M - 575lbs

429/460 - 720lbs

i noticed my xf ute still handled quite well with the 400 all i put was alloy w/pump and alloy weiand manifold,gerg i just found out CRS does 400 mounts for xa /xg i cant belive it .

i noticed my xf ute still handled quite well with the 400 all i put was alloy w/pump and alloy weiand manifold,gerg i just found out CRS does 400 mounts for xa /xg i cant belive it .
Oh dude.. sounds like your next project will involve those mounts, but I also heard that 429/460 drops straight in where a clevo goes, mounts and all.

yeah i cant seem to find the info if 460 mounting bosses are the same as 400 ? the 3 bolt ones ? i always thought 400 had its own pattern ,i asked the guy at CRS and he said yeah m8 400m mounts into xa to xg $250 and they have em on the shelf ? maybe gregaus can chime on in if they are the same ,if i do another 400 i want to build it different this time ,no power steer,the usa flat tops ,hyd roller cam,alloy heads,and might try the edelbrock intake instead of the weiand one,or use the spacer kit on a 351c air gap manifold.