Pauly

460BB in ZA Fairlane

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

ignore the holden in the foreground.

at least it runs.. 

what's the plan with the ZA now? anything changed? looks pretty good 

I have a 289 that (I think) I'm going to get HPM to do a 331 stroker to. The guy there told me that a 347 might not last that long but open to comments as I haven't gone down this road before. Initially, if you guys read back, I was thinking of a big block but apparently there are issues with making the sucker fit. Not sure how the whole "getting I on the road" part would go if I went down the big block road. Also was told Dart blocks could be a good option but about $3K more than using my own 289 block. Any feedback would be great as I don't claim to be a mechanical wizard and am always willing to hear/learn things. My mechanical prowess extends to a bare metal rebuild of a UC Torana (yes a Holden) when I was 17 in which I placed a 186s with a single Stromberg carby with Genie extractors after taking out the original Starfire four motor. I let the diff centre for tighter diff ratio, Anyway that's Holden talk and guessing not for this forum. 

Do you guys think using my own 289 block for a rebuild would be a good option? From what I can tell it hasn't been reco'd ever and is bog stock original.

I have a 289 that (I think) I'm going to get HPM to do a 331 stroker to. The guy there told me that a 347 might not last that long but open to comments as I haven't gone down this road before. Initially, if you guys read back, I was thinking of a big block but apparently there are issues with making the sucker fit. Not sure how the whole "getting I on the road" part would go if I went down the big block road. Also was told Dart blocks could be a good option but about $3K more than using my own 289 block. Any feedback would be great as I don't claim to be a mechanical wizard and am always willing to hear/learn things. My mechanical prowess extends to a bare metal rebuild of a UC Torana (yes a Holden) when I was 17 in which I placed a 186s with a single Stromberg carby with Genie extractors after taking out the original Starfire four motor. I let the diff centre for tighter diff ratio, Anyway that's Holden talk and guessing not for this forum. 

Do you guys think using my own 289 block for a rebuild would be a good option? From what I can tell it hasn't been reco'd ever and is bog stock original.
The 460 would be tight, it does slot into XA onwards like it was made for it (apparently) but earlier falcs... Not sure.

I hear a lot that the 347 is not a great long-term build, they tend to get exessive side thrust (from the short rod) and ring wear, start drinking oil, etc. Ford Aus made it work sweet with the TE/TS 50 series, but they had to custom make all the bits locally because they sussed out the imported stroker kits before that and had some catastrophic failures during their durability testing. In the words of one Tickford boffin: "they were rubbish"

331 is a 3.25" stroke on a +0.040 bore, much more liveable. Pretty close to Chev's 327, which many smallblock fans say was the sweetest of them all.

However your 289 block will be a tad shorter in the bore than a 302, which has a small protruding lip at the bottom of each bore to allow for the piston coming further down. I don't know if it would be a problem but I can't see it being too much of a difference. Might need to research that one.

You will need some decent head flow to support the extra displacement.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Anyway that's Holden talk and guessing not for this forum. 

half the car's Rod @2redrovers works on have been toranas, 

be a good percentage of people on this forum either had holdens, or still have them even as a daily. 

if i was doing this car, i'd get the rest of the car done first, then decide on the engine. i'd probably rego it with the current engine as is, then look to bolt in an AU 5 litre in it's place if keeping it all ford. 
personally if i was doing an engine conversion i'd always choose the lexus V8, i've had one before in an XF ute then in an XE sedan(same engine due to tailshaft going through the floor)
the skid factory recently did one in a ZD fairlane but added a turbo and it hauls ass. 

good series, here's episode 1 for you if interested

Regarding the big block... Maybe an FE (390/428) would be a better choice? Bill Burke (Ford Oz CEO) had an XW specially made for him by the factory, even had the build plate stamped for it. They might slot in easier because they're physically smaller than a 429/460 series. Lighter too.

Holden talk......... bring out the ban stick...🤬

Stick with the 289/302 for rego, they do everything well, just that your Fairlane is a little heavy for a performance.

Stroker kits are well discussed on the Mustang forums in Yankee land. Guess it all depends on how hard you drive, as to how long between rebuilds. 

Not a fan of the Roller blocks used in the AU era, just old school Windsor with some tweaks, for the win. 😁

Yeah that's a good point Bear, early Windsor blocks had a bit more meat in crucial areas. Can't remember when they started taking it out (maybe late 70s?) but a 289 block would be a nice solid base to work from.

Don't rule out the Dart option, you can get some decent cubes from the 4.125" bore version along with a stroker kit. I have wondered about a dream build myself: Dart alloy 4.125, 3.25 stroke, makes a short stroke 347. Topped with CHIs, would make a sweet combo.....

I digress.... Also maybe consider a 351W? Very stout block and you can get over 400 cubes no sweat, approaching big block territory. Windsor bits are much more plentiful in the US, greater selections available. You wouldn't bother doing up standard heads, just buy some decent alloys and call it done.