Server maintenance Read more... ×
GRIFF

Is it legal to remove the heavy bar in the xf rear bumper?

Is it legal to remove the heavy bar in the xf rear bumper so i can piss off the tow bar? Image attached85fb58dd2c553f01af67e4c94f626831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any legal issue. With the bar reinstalled, any sharp edges are covered for pedestrian safety etc. Just consider the fact that it carries a lot of the impact if you get hit from behind. There would be bars without towbar section, correct? Not all cars had towbars after all. Maybe see if you can find one that you could put your good parts onto?

i reckon that bar isn't on a non tow bar one... but there might be more reinforcing in the plastic bumper part where that sits.. been a long while since i've seen an XF bumper removed though.

i reckon that bar isn't on a non tow bar one... but there might be more reinforcing in the plastic bumper part where that sits.. been a long while since i've seen an XF bumper removed though.

Yeah I couldn't remember the exact make up of those bars. Couldn't remember if there was a light weight core behind plastic as well as the towbar. I'd go wrecker diving with a tape measure and note pad to compare other model cars for a lightweight reo to fit behind the xf cover. Honda accord, vt com, Volvo maybe? Ones I can think of with alloy reo's behind plastic of similar dimensions. Look at front bars too but they may be too curved.

i'd leave it in there unless you are making a race car where every kg counts.. 

most people add weight with amps and subs and big wheels.. and big exhausts. and bog...

Can't confirm XF, but XD/XE had only a fibreglass frame to which the bumper skin attached. No metal otherwise. Mine has a metal frame for the towbar only. Mine's a wagon but as far as I know, sedans are the same except for the little window for the number plate lamp.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

On 24/07/2018 at 3:22 AM, Valvebouncer said:

Can you cut the tow bar bit off with a grinder so you are just left with the brackets?

yes I can, the only place the bar is connected is where its welded to the brackets.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:21 AM, deankdx said:

i'd leave it in there unless you are making a race car where every kg counts.. 

most people add weight with amps and subs and big wheels.. and big exhausts. and bog...

You been reading my project threads again?

Correct me if im wrong but thats how the bar mounts isnt it? I looked at doing that to mine a while back and ended up cutting off the tow hitch instead.