Sign in to follow this  
guerin92

help needed crossflow

hey guys im in the process of puting a new cam in a 650 crow cam I was just wondering will the standard c1 head be ok or will I need to change springs?

ok thanks slydog what else will I need to run reliable? its getting a double row timing chain and im thinking about putting 1.84 inlet valves in any ideas mate?

Whats the rest look like bro? Standard valves are fine on it TBH but it would like some compression,like around 10-10.5,good induction,extractors and atleast a 2.5" exhaust,a MSD and TFI dizzy will work wonder and help it make more power,start easier and all the other stuff I rant on about.

What about diff gearing and transmission type along with intended use of the vehicle? 

Cheers Tyler so they're fairly decent?? I've read your build very nice but your selling it??

Slydog im still sussing it all out, reading alote of crossflow builds and I think ill end up going with a 650 double pumper?? on an aussiespeed manifold? open to suggestions if thats to big/unnecessary? 

At the moment its a stock 84da (317, 000ks) virgin block and the head is the same where and how much should i get shave to get the compression up?

The exhuast is confusing as well people say that a dual 2.5 setup doesn't fit and others say it does :/

It's gunna be a t5 but im unsure of diff gearing 3.32?? also itll be a daily driver that will give bommadores a run for there money hopefully. lol

So are you leaving the bottom end stock or rebuilding it too? If so deck the block to get zero deck height and then measure chamber CC's to get your compression ratio and the head dude will take care of the rest.The diff gearing is based on daily use I gather and if so it's OK.

Ummmm that combo doesn't need dual 2.5's and as a daily a single 2.5 would be fine but any single exhaust shop can do twin 2.5's for you.Stu at racers choice is doing mine but mine but it will cost around $1500 at a guess.

Yep for you stock rebuild with new rings bearings,proper bearing clearances done and checked,rebuilt oil pump and the whole show balanced.Then your cam,new lifters,new chain kit,and a 500 holley on a two barrel manifold will go very very well.If fuel is not a concern (and it shouldn't be) use a 4 barrel and a 600DP with the big ignition and exhaust.

Can I ask why you want a dual 2.5 on yours please?  

Yeah time for a change in the engine department for me ;-) i need an engine in it that doesnt attract attention all the time lol<br />Def give the bottom end a freshen up mate. Oh and a 600 on an aussiespeed would be the go.

Okay, now the dumb questions, what companys make kits or bottom end parts for crossflows? and what should I be looking to pay?? and for an engine builder to do it? I would do it but its probably safer getting someone whos been doing it for years to do it.

2.5 duals only an idea? but ive seen in some threads that crossflows need good exhaust and breathing... so id assume duals would be better than single? or no?

Okay, now the dumb questions, what companys make kits or bottom end parts for crossflows? and what should I be looking to pay?? and for an engine builder to do it? I would do it but its probably safer getting someone whos been doing it for years to do it.

2.5 duals only an idea? but ive seen in some threads that crossflows need good exhaust and breathing... so id assume duals would be better than single? or no?

On something with some serious HP bro...plus it will cost about $1500 to do it properly so it works.

Mate I would look at buying Tylers engine that he has for sale in the wreckers section.  By the time you machine your exisiting block, gaskets, balance the bottom end etc.etc.etc you will be in the same ball park as Tylers motor but without all the goodies like induction, ignition, carby etc.

I do not know Tyler so I am not 'pushing his barrow'.  I just know from experience what it takes/ how much it costs to build a decent x-flow and that's without all the other stuff on Tyler's shopping list.  Trust me this engine stuff can get out of control pretty quickly and if you can't assemble the engine yourself you could be in trouble as you will need to find a competent shop that actually gives a shit about a crossflow.  Most just treat them as 'taxi motors' and don't put the time that is required to properly check every clearance.

Just my thoughts...

@tyler such a tough engine how could it not draw attention lol so what engine are you gunna go with now?

Haha that is a secret for now but the new engine will command attention too but only when i really want it too ;-)

Mate I would look at buying Tylers engine that he has for sale in the wreckers section. By the time you machine your exisiting block, gaskets, balance the bottom end etc.etc.etc you will be in the same ball park as Tylers motor but without all the goodies like induction, ignition, carby etc.

I do not know Tyler so I am not 'pushing his barrow'. I just know from experience what it takes/ how much it costs to build a decent x-flow and that's without all the other stuff on Tyler's shopping list. Trust me this engine stuff can get out of control pretty quickly and if you can't assemble the engine yourself you could be in trouble as you will need to find a competent shop that actually gives a shit about a crossflow. Most just treat them as 'taxi motors' and don't put the time that is required to properly check every clearance.

Just my thoughts...

No i dont know you but you are right because to date my engine owes me around 10-12k but thats with a fair bit of learning along the way ;-)

When i started this build i didnt realise just how much the bolt ons add up to ;-)

Hopefully when it sells its to me!! :P haha is your new engine a 250 crossflow?? like just a different setup or is it a completely different engine?