Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jeff

Drum to disc conversion.

Hi all, wanting to change my rear brakes from drum to disc, I have a disc diff out of a ZL FAIRLANE, centre is stuffed, wanting to know what's involved in swapping the disc set up onto my XE drum diff? Is it just unbolt all drum brake system and then bolt all disc setup straight onto my housing?

from memory it doesn't bolt on directly.. it may just be the flange bolt angle?(as in if you bolt the caliper bracket on, it would put the caliper on the bottom?)

i had wondered if drilling new holes in the caliper bracket would work.. never did it though.

what's wrong with the ZL center? if they are both 2.92 or 2.77 you could swap the center.. if one is 2.92 and the other 2.77 ratio you can't..

if you want a better ratio for the V8? might be easier to get an EB diff,(sedan) with tailshaft and hand brake cable.  if you get the later one EB2 or ED you need to swap control arm bushes on one end or use spacers as the bush is better(wider)

if you do this, you'll need to buy a flexi hose adapter to go from metric to imperial

On 10/07/2018 at 10:27 AM, deankdx said:

from memory it doesn't bolt on directly.. it may just be the flange bolt angle?(as in if you bolt the caliper bracket on, it would put the caliper on the bottom?)

i had wondered if drilling new holes in the caliper bracket would work.. never did it though.

what's wrong with the ZL center? if they are both 2.92 or 2.77 you could swap the center.. if one is 2.92 and the other 2.77 ratio you can't..

if you want a better ratio for the V8? might be easier to get an EB diff,(sedan) with tailshaft and hand brake cable.  if you get the later one EB2 or ED you need to swap control arm bushes on one end or use spacers as the bush is better(wider)

if you do this, you'll need to buy a flexi hose adapter to go from metric to imperial

Did disc conversion today, it was all straight bolt on, calipers are at the rear of diff, all holes lined up perfectly.