CHESTNUTXE

XF 85 GHIA EFI CROSSY REBUILD

I SAW THIS ADD on guntree last night about this low km crossy so out i go thismorn to mt warning which is the highest point on the east coast of australia i think its near nimbin,anyway i got there and farmer joe loaded it into the ute with his tractor,turns out its a 9/85 efi engine 84da block,and he bought it from auction in 1993 and never used it,it sat in his shed and he swears its only done 83000km ,anyway im gunna strip it down and do my usual rebuild on it.tiuzro7b_o.jpg

nah i dont think so,very dusty ,anyway ive stripped a heap off it ,thats it for today,will continue on tomorrow,id say this things never been touched as all the bolts are not overtighnend on anything so far.it will be interesting about this efi headQi9bEA2V_o.jpg

I have stripped it down to the crank n rods but i found out how video killed the radio star a piece of lifter had broken off but the mystery is there is no lifters broken as i inspected them ? So it could be something else

See the rim of the volcano crater in the distance was nice out there no speed limit either
ef6ab6518bad9b0fedd7e9cccff6c266.jpgba22006c659867de7d81d89794e03358.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

bb9e63da2238cd74c962f19feaa78004.jpg0e882b63aa1e40dbca935c57d90140a5.jpg

Where was that found in the engine? But does look like part of a lifter from photo. It’s a dirty 83k motor though.
What’s the plans or magic for this motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The jewel in the haul is this matching efi exhaust cover ,matches the rocker cover,ect,also has a hf 2 head casting,also did the efi exhuast manifold have these special holes drilled for the cover or do all have those holes,i boxed the lifters in order and none are broken which is really weird.QKc9PWoY_o.jpgybgc9nfi_o.jpg

Cam looks ok efi grind which is slightly bigger than carby cam

What is the best way to blast the r/cover without killing it ? Soda
0932a0304a12259ddbfdf88e94e6f19c.jpg721a8e48299990cf31584a7bdb4df995.jpg

the efi one doesn't have a fuel pump lobe on it (crow cams one did) 

the original EFI cams were common to wipe lobes, but then i reckon carby ones would have also but wouldn't have been as fussy as the efi to be able to tell. 

Yes, soda blast, or hydro-blasting.
Those valve retainers don't looks stock.
Maybe he mean't 83k, since a top-end rebuild?
Where was that piece of lifter - in the sump?
Looks like a piece of lifter but im really not sure what happend the head bolts were clean and not tamperd withed06baee5f6a8c0cb9f71aa5bf16b6ec.jpga82f233288cf30adae6206b5ffa2af71.jpg

Looks like a piece of lifter but im really not sure what happend the head bolts were clean and not tamperd withed06baee5f6a8c0cb9f71aa5bf16b6ec.jpga82f233288cf30adae6206b5ffa2af71.jpg

Also yeah no pump lobe on the cam but it had a pump on the engine 95fceec27ce0ef4f460750d0858609ea.jpg

bearing size is std,crank looks ok,end of the day with a few breaks and stuck balancer ,i have also only managed to get 3 pistons out cause their gunna need some soaking in penatrating oil i think,the add said just start it up bahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:unsure:DHFTXmQE_o.jpgIZhQBRFH_o.jpg0zOVzdM8_o.jpg