SPACK

VALVE SPRINGS..

as far as i know, to prevent valve bounce. 
why do they put heavier springs on boosted engines? 

Yes, they prevent getting my nickname .
Heavier springs are to help over come boost pushing on the back of the valve and holding it open after the lobe has passed.

See don't be fooled by the double spring debacle. Modern bee hive springs have a much better rate and control over the valve thru the complete range of movement, compared to rock ape old 80's thinking double spring garbage. 

Now you can get a great single beehive spring that will comfortably handle .620" lift and big duration and roller profiles. 

Its all about matching the spring to the cam, head flow figures with manifold attached and cam type. Get it wrong and you will waste mechanical effort at best, at worse you will wipe lobs and generally have an underperforming s..tbox. Cam manufactures guidleines are close enough for mild to medium performance applications. 

Boosted engines require greater spring control due to a number of factors. Increased cylinder pressure, Increased ex temps being just a few. You also want to look at hardened locks and good collets for serious boosted engines that see decent rpm. 

The reason i am asking, is that, i had double valve springs on, I had the rockers all changed and the MECHANIC, took them off and replaced with NEW single ones, He said " you will never bounce these"..However I found that by the time i got to 1/2 way on the accelerator pedal, the car/ENGINE just ran out of breath, AND i know there is heaps more it could do...

No it wasn,t a standard cam, done by TIGHE...Also he only told me after it was all done and back in the car...