Server maintenance Read more... ×
ketspano

HI BEAM Randomly Turning off and on

I just reinstalled my dash in my 89 xf and now when i have the high beams on, after a period of time all lights on the car will flicker/ pulse on and off rapidly 

i have no idea whats going on and need all the help i can get 

-thanks 

9 hours ago, ketspano said:

i have no idea whats going on and need all the help i can get 

-thanks 

Sounds like most of the drivers on Melbournes Western ring road

26 minutes ago, hendrixhc said:

If you look near the relays you will see a circuit breaker. It looks like a square metal block with 2 large wires going to it. This will be corroded internally and failing.

Agreed.  Or a bad earth. 

If you look near the relays you will see a circuit breaker. It looks like a square metal block with 2 large wires going to it. This will be corroded internally and failing.

I also agree with this. Had it happen to me before.

This is the part in question - metal box next to relay

630a62e4f0107a434c516b45467feda0.jpg

if you've had the dash out, check the earths behind the kick panels also, one used to go on the dash bracket, but i ended up screwing it separately with a tek screw because i was having issues.

check what the others have said also. the one Mr Polson suggested runs the power for the whole car, if it's tripping out you'd lose nearly everything

I must check this out on mine as I loose power when I flash the high beam when my lights are on. Luckily I don't do much night driving.

ketspano, which circuit breaker do you refer to, (under the dash) next to the blinker can ?

1 hour ago, roKWiz said:

I must check this out on mine as I loose power when I flash the high beam when my lights are on. Luckily I don't do much night driving.

ketspano, which circuit breaker do you refer to, (under the dash) next to the blinker can ?

that one sounds more like an earth.. if the one going from engine to body is off(near the left middle bell housing bolt to firewall after you forgot to undo it on engine removal.. 4 times )
could also be the earths near the headlights

6 hours ago, roKWiz said:

the circuit breaker under the hood near the battery (same as the photo Mr Polson sent)

After having a new dash installed in my XF, I found i only had PARK LIGHTS no HORN, and the Indicators worked some time. Went  to the AUTO ELEC and he told me I needed a new/another indicator/ wiper assembly.. Fitted and works great now....$30 for the part, $ 95 to fit...