Server maintenance Read more... ×

After looking at some options I decided to go with the Holley Sniper EFI kit..

for those unfamiliar with these this is the new Holley Carb replacement system. There’s a bunch of Videos on YouTube about the sniper EFi, but a quick run down:

yes they can be boosted, they self learn, they can control ignition too, they are a touch screen like your IPhone.. for deeper tuning they plug into your laptop and once there can be tuned even more.

I spoke to Holley directly and the 2brl kit was the suggested option. It’s good for it’s 350hp and flows 500cfm.. ( they can go more boosted) , They also informed me that they havnt sent the 2barrel version to Australia yet.. so this is the 1st one!

In this thread I will try to go through my process of installing it.. some say it’s a 2 hour job to install and drive.. I never work that quick.

vbRETW.jpg

16 hours ago, bear351c said:

Nice kit.  Whats your engine specs so far..? 

It’s just your basic 250 crossflow Xe 4sp manual with 126klms on the clock..

The engine has a redline tourqer manifold and extractors I’m led to believe it has a mild cam in it too. Engine is in good condition.

other than the Sniper Efi, I have a set of AU thermo fans for it and yes the Sniper EFI controls  fans to, so no need to buy a fan controller ki..it may also be able to control a EWP..

This car purpose is to be a classic daily driver atm but there should be some scope for future development.

wKWFlo.jpg

It’s just your basic 250 crossflow Xe 4sp manual.
The engine has a redline tourqer manifold and extractors I’m led to believe it has a mild cam in it too. Engine is in good condition.
other than the Sniper Efi, I have a set of AU thermo fans for it..
This car purpose is to be a classic daily driver atm but there should be some scope for future development.

wKWFlo.jpg

That redline will be a restriction above 4500, the main problem will be the end runners. I had that exact one on my Corty and it was very unpleasant to rev past that point. The Aussiespeed is expensive for a big lump of cast aluminium but if you're investing in a decent EFI kit, it would be compromised by not having a decently balanced manifold.

Another option is to get an EA SFI manifold and adapt it to the crossflow head. Much more even flow between runners. The speedway nuts will know what I'm on about (Ando....?)

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I’ve spoken with them as I’ve had a few of there manifolds through in both 2brl and 4brl versions..but that’s the thing, as a starting point there’s a lot of 250 out there with the  Redline manifold.

leVrnx.jpg

ppCdI3.png

I think I will hold off on another manifold ATM, because I may use this Holley Sniper EFi to simplify fitting  in a much newer motor, and that may require a Aussie Speed manifold.

So last piece of the puzzle before installing,  I decided to do my own fuel system. I believe the fuel pump Holley normally supplied with Sniper are Walbro pumps..

Looking at what others have done, and for a good budget pump , I ordered the Walbro GSL392 ( 255)  and in-line mounting kit. 

So last piece of the puzzle before installing,  I decided to do my own fuel system. I believe the fuel pump Holley normally supplied with Sniper are Walbro pumps..
Looking at what others have done, and for a good budget pump , I ordered the Walbro GSL392 ( 255)  and in-line mounting kit. 
You running a return line/reg or a dead-end system? I don't really like the latter because the pump is always cycling on/off. I reckon it would burn out pretty quickly doing that.

You running a return line/reg or a dead-end system? I don't really like the latter because the pump is always cycling on/off. I reckon it would burn out pretty quickly doing that.

When I was researching it, I looked at the Corvette style filter/regulator which you fitted straight after the pump at the back, basically just shortened the return line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that smart to do?

I know its same same but your not regulating pressure at the injector.

Im not rocket scientist but pressure loss at the injectors will not be rectified until its picked up at the pump end..... too much room for error for me.

Thats why its always in the fuel rail.

Never listen to the chev badge.... it is Evil I tells ya! Eeevvvviiiillllll......

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

When I was researching it, I looked at the Corvette style filter/regulator which you fitted straight after the pump at the back, basically just shortened the return line.

That system might be simpler but would be a bitch to prime up from empty, you'd have to bleed out the air between the reg and the fuel rail before the thing would run.

That system might be simpler but would be a bitch to prime up from empty, you'd have to bleed out the air between the reg and the fuel rail before the thing would run.

Yes very true, I have seen that with the LS dead headed systems and bleeding air out.

A full return system would be the best way.

Is that smart to do?
I know its same same but your not regulating pressure at the injector.

Im not rocket scientist but pressure loss at the injectors will not be rectified until its picked up at the pump end..... too much room for error for me.

Thats why its always in the fuel rail.
 Never listen to the chev badge.... it is Evil I tells ya! Eeevvvviiiillllll......

Just lazy Chev LS engineers...

The fuel system is whats keeping me at bay. I'd prefer the surge in the boot, so I'm looking at finding a small electric pump that will act as a lift into a surge. Currently asking Holley about their Mighty Mite pumps as they are self regulating, so hopefully no need for a full return line.

Last time I touched the fuel tank, the sender wouldn't seal and leaked fuel constantly. Still have nightmares about that.

On 29/05/2018 at 0:07 PM, gerg said:

That redline will be a restriction above 4500, the main problem will be the end runners. I had that exact one on my Corty and it was very unpleasant to rev past that point. The Aussiespeed is expensive for a big lump of cast aluminium but if you're investing in a decent EFI kit, it would be compromised by not having a decently balanced manifold.

Another option is to get an EA SFI manifold and adapt it to the crossflow head. Much more even flow between runners. The speedway nuts will know what I'm on about (Ando....?)

Yeah. There are a lot of redline manifolds out there, because once upon a time, that's all you could get.  Then blokes like Ian 'moo' Moody (ultraflow) and Ray Hall started to make manifolds that actually flowed close to even and weren't just a spot to put a carb on. 

The new Aussiespeed 2 barrel manifold is an awesome bit of kit.  Very even cylinder fill.  Yes they are expensive, but hey quality costs and spending hours on a dyno chasing your tail is also expensive. If the budget isn't there I'd be searching for a second hand ultraflow. 

I may be playing devils advocate here but I see problems ahead with getting the tune right with the Redline.  Why? Because the ecu will be getting a read on the mixture and will then trim to suit and it may well trim to the point that it burns the lean (better flowing) cylinders.  I've spent a considerable amount of time carb tuning these engines and doing plug reads and egt monitoring to try and get the best possible tune when you don't have ideal flow balance between runners. 

Its not uncommon to run different plug heat ranges, richer afr target than you normally would go just to try and keep cylinders from running lean. I've known builders to run less comp on certain cylinders to address manifold imbalance. Of course I'm usually dealing with engines that spend most of their lives between 3500&6500.  It sounds like this engine will not be given a hard time so it may all work out fine. 

Id be keeping a close eye on plugs all the same. The algorithms and target afr's might just be too smart for their own good.  Having said that if you can get into it and tell it to target 12.0 instead of 12.8 then it should all be fine. 

Thanks Ando, very goodinfo.

I probably will run it a little fat ( no “Hollywood runs” here) I remember talking to ultra flow 15years back ,  It was made for even flow, I think he wanted about $650 back then.

I’m interested to try different  manifolds down the road..

ATM I have yet to figure out the best way to intergrate the sniper ignition timing control..EST /TFI...Probably the XF distributor and I think , I  need to order a specific connector with all that. It’s a latter addition. 

16 hours ago, gerg said:

It’s a return line system.. the feed runs into the fuel tank, above the tank. ( where you pump fuel when you fill up there is a large hose between the tank and your rear licence plate.. the return hose plumbs into that)

What ignition inputs does it need. Cylinder position and a home like most - and what type of signal (magnetic - magnetic, hall - magnetic or Hall - hall). Cylinder poisition is easy enough using Hall.  home could be a little difficult.  

Clarko and I have just finished the crossflow specific crank trigger kits. Uses msd magnets and sensors. 

It’s a return line system.. the feed runs into the fuel tank, above the tank. ( where you pump fuel when you fill up there is a large hose between the tank and your rear licence plate.. the return hose plumbs into that)
Isn't that hose the breather hose for the fuel tank?
If so it will over pressurize the fuel tank...
You got no pics so I can't be sure but be careful or you'll have fuel pissing out everywhere from a pressurized tank.

Wouldnt the sniper kit allow the tuner to select a targeted a/f ratio. This will make the tune safe but not ideal for all out power. Set the a/f so the leanest cylinders are safe going off plug readings? Covers the uneven cylinder flow. Iv done something similar on my efi set up with xf banana manifold but mines turbo so rich is good for me.

As for fuel system, something like a fitech fuel commander would be easy. Easy to rig something up with the same principles. Although a small surge tank is fairly simple to set up. Better to do it correct from the start

Isn't that hose the breather hose for the fuel tank?
If so it will over pressurize the fuel tank...
You got no pics so I can't be sure but be careful or you'll have fuel pissing out everywhere from a pressurized tank.

I think he means the filler tube, which I can't see a problem with. The breather should come off a tree of lines that screw into the top of the tank via a small manifold, off to the charcoal canister.

6 hours ago, LJDB said:

Wouldnt the sniper kit allow the tuner to select a targeted a/f ratio. This will make the tune safe but not ideal for all out power. Set the a/f so the leanest cylinders are safe going off plug readings? Covers the uneven cylinder flow. Iv done something similar on my efi set up with xf banana manifold but mines turbo so rich is good for me.

My exact point. If you follow the guidelines and target 12.8 you could burn a cylinder with the Redline. Modify it to 12.0 and watch 1&6 in particular and you would be on a winner. But if your spending the coin to have a nice cruiser, why not spend the coin on a manifold with even flow-balance. It's not all about making hp&torque although that is good. It's about making a happy engine. Happy engines make more power and torque and use less fuel to do it. That makes for a good cruiser in my opinion. 

The gain most experience when going to triples is largely due to even cylinder fill.