Server maintenance Read more... ×
bear351c

Holley + Cleveland = Flooding

Have an issue with my Holley 600 vac sec. If the Nugget doesn't 'catch' on first crank, carb floods and can't get her started.

Need to remove the air cleaner, and blow air down the throats to evap the fuel, then she starts.  Runs fine, starts fine when hot, just first thing...

Carby has been kitted, float levels set as per instructions. Even tried the remove sight glass screw with engine running trick, (lumpy cam - near impossible :lol:) Have the manual fuel pump.

Have turned the primary needle and seat down half a turn, maybe the Secondaries sucking fuel at first cough?

Any Holley gurus out there had this issue??

I'm assuming that it's electric choke. Where is the adjustment sitting on the housing? If it's all the way up, you could back it off a tad so that the choke flap isn't quite closed all the way, but enough to still kick the idle up. Sounds like she'd get enough fuel as is.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, hendrixhc said:

Do you pump the throttle twice before cranking her?

Nope. If i do pump it even a little, it floods.

46 minutes ago, BGDAV said:

cant get a cheap electric pump to run so you can set the float level ? 

Got a Carter electric pump here, s'pose I could hook that up, and see

40 minutes ago, gerg said:

I'm assuming that it's electric choke. Where is the adjustment sitting on the housing? If it's all the way up, you could back it off a tad so that the choke flap isn't quite closed all the way, but enough to still kick the idle up. Sounds like she'd get enough fuel as is.

No choke. Think it's a manual, from memory..... no coil on the side. 

A bit of a different tack: how good is your ignition system? Have you got decent spark output? Should jump a good 3/4" off the end of the coil lead to earth.

Fuel pressure too high?
Had this on Clevos. 4-5 psi... no more.... or when needle and seat opens it floods whole thing.
7-8psi is all it takes for major flooding. That or float levels too high.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, gerg said:

A bit of a different tack: how good is your ignition system? Have you got decent spark output? Should jump a good 3/4" off the end of the coil lead to earth.

Ignition should be good. New Coke can coil, Bosch electronic dizzy, rebuilt and regraphed. 

10 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

Fuel pressure too high?
Had this on Clevos. 4-5 psi... no more.... or when needle and seat opens it floods whole thing.
7-8psi is all it takes for major flooding. That or float levels too high.

Hmmm....... heard about this, wasn't sure if the original carter mechanical pump would over pressurise. 

Guess I could invest in a reg. Something discreet, so she still looks kinda stock..

Ages ago I did a 351 burnout car.... The exact same problem.
Had me stumped for a few hours.
Just stalled.... pigged around .. on fresh motor. Lol

We just downgraded the pump, easier than fitting a return line for the regulator.
Think Holley do a blue or red pump for that... just electric box type.

Hmmm....... heard about this, wasn't sure if the original carter mechanical pump would over pressurise. 
Guess I could invest in a reg. Something discreet, so she still looks kinda stock..

Sorry mate if your running a mech pump ... maybe its diaphragm is farked.... rev more..... no more fuel.
May seem like flooding... had that before.
But 4-5 psi is the magic number.
Like me. ... you need an inline pressure guage... hehe.

3 hours ago, bear351c said:

But it's just the initial start up. After that shes fine. Bit of a head scratcher.......  should get my ass into gear and rebuild the Thermoquad. 

Or buy a new Holley 650DP.

Hey mate, I have the same problem with my xd ute it's a warm 302 Clevo with a quick fuel 650dp. I spray aero start down the carb so she fires first go and doesn't flood and runs perfect from then onwards, I put it down to the carby being over jetted for the motor and a poor battery and a shit starter motor. I will eventually get a hi torque starter motor and the Correct size Jetting to fix this but for now aero start for the first start of the day and she is all good. 

On 5/22/2018 at 7:02 PM, bear351c said:

I'm subbed to Thunderhead289's channel, makes some good vids, talks like King of the Hill guy.

Mostly Windsor stuff.

bahahahaaa i watch and comment sometimes with him and petes garage,that thunderhead is in love with 289/302ws