Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mixalis

Cranks over, struggles to start, fine once running

Hi guys, firstly apologies this is not a falcon or a corty, it's my 2012 Ford Focus, but I would much prefer ask you blokes here as I'm not a fan of the crowds that jump on the forums for 'newer cars' lol.

In a nutshell, just a povo pack with 18,000km (prev owners bought new and never drove it, picked it up very cheap). As in the title, it cranks over fine but will just turn the motor, occasionally cough and fart, eventually it will start after a few attempts. Once started tho cars 100% fine. Will be fine if you turn off and jump back in car later on in the day. But next day, same issue. I have tried priming pump a few times before starting, no difference. It may be fuel as it only started occurring with the most recent tank, put 95 in it from reputable brand. Problem is I also barely drive it so very slow going thru tank.

Previous owners older couple drove 12,000km in 5 years, still serviced it every bloody year !

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah simple things first. Modern alternators are soft-start, meaning they don't cut straight in, but slowly ramp up after 5 seconds or so. I've seen it many times trying to jump a Ranger at work, having to be a bit naughty and (briefly) flick the jump cart over to 24 while cranking. The engine fires, then as I quickly flick the jump pack off, it dies again. The alternator hadn't cut in yet so the computer quit with not enough battery volts to run off.

This might be what's happening here, as the battery might have enough to crank and fire, but once running, the volts might be too low for the computer to run properly until the alternator cuts in.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Thank you guys all three of you, that's why I come to this forum first lol. I'll chuck it on the jumpstarter next time I use it, will probably be Wednesday, and get back to you all.

You're probably right as the battery hasn't been changed since factory 2012, and cheers Greg for the info on soft start had no idea.

Ps Greg corty seems all fixed now, sent you a text it looks like it's the dumbest issue. It seems to be the 9pin to USB cable being plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk