kcuf

TC/TD cortina hydraulic clutch conversion? anyone done one

anyone done a HYD clutch swap on  TC/TD corty? yes i saw the thread where the mal wood place wants $1300-1400 for a situation, no i wont be taking that up, yes i'd be happy to see a picture of that and just make it myself ;) 

just for a future gearbox swap i wanted to start getting mentally prepared for the Hyd conversion, see what others have done, etc etc. 

by the time i got all my hyd crossflow set up for the ute would be close to a grand cost wise ,as i bought 1 bit at a time,buying the whole conversion for a 250 is hard to find these days.

You'd have to go to a custom setup but the good news is that the pushrod attaches below the pedal pivot, meaning you could modify the cable type pedal into a hyd type.

So all you have to do is look at a Falcon hyd pedal, note the distance from the pivot to the pushrod clevis and copy that distance to your Cortina pedal.

From there, work out a perpendicular point on the firewall to which the pushrod will run into the back of the master cyl. You want the pushrod as straight as possible into the cylinder as you definitely want minimal side-thrust on the piston.

There might not be much room around the brake booster for a decent size cylinder, so maybe a remote reservoir type would suit.

Then once you have your mount point sorted, drill appropriate holes and mount the cylinder. There's every chance that the pushrod won't be the right length so a cut-n-shut will be in order. Also work out if the metal seems strong enough in that area to not need reinforcing around the cylinder mounting point (XD-XE Falcons used to crack there on cable setups) but Cortys did have pretty thick metal throughout.

I know it can be done because a mate had a TD with a 302/4-speed single rail. But that setup was a bit screwy (stupid heavy). So do it once, do it right I say.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gerg said:

So do it once, do it right I say.

yep, this is why the asking for examples, i used a mid 2000's commodore master on the centura with remote res, its probably on the short list of good options.

I have not used one but the Falcon remote masters look pretty adaptable too. To get maximum throw on a quarter master CSC you'll need a 7/8th bore Master but knowing what i know now i would have gotten away with a standard 3/4" master. Im using a 1" master as 7/8th was too hard to get and 1" is a bit too big. I only use a small amount of the masters travel to drive the CSC.

Another pro tip, don't cheap out on your CSC, if it fails you gotta pull the gearbox to fix it. I'm using quarter master, no issues (yet)