Defective

Clevo prices....

29 posts in this topic

What sort of prices would I expect to pay for a usable good running clevo and box these days?

302 or 351. 

I seem to only see rebuilders or recently rebuilt ones pop up for sale lately.

Id say between $800 and $1500, depending on what comes with it and condition. ( usually the trans)

Most rebuilders are around the $400ish mark.

Defective likes this

5 years ago I bought a (badly) rebuilt 302 for 800, no box though. Had to strip/assemble it myself. I think the cheap ones (built or good runners) you'll have to be prepared to travel for.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Defective and GspecZL like this

As much as I love a clevo ..2-2/12k for something that will run ok and make 150kw..

if you want a clevo these days it will probably need a rebuild and that’s going to cost!   The days of a “good runner” are basically over , last one was built in 1983, personally I wouldn’t go a clevo again unless it’s a resto on a factory v8..then yes I would..

Defective and Outback Jack like this

Reckon a bare block is around $300-$400 bucks, as James said. 2nd hand FMX's are about $300.  Spend your money wisely, and dont over rev it, and you'll get a strong, reliable, great sounding engine.

But, then again, I'm biased......

Outback Jack, Defective and GspecZL like this

Im just mulling over engine options for my van, really wanted to go Ls but I just can't afford to go that far at the moment. 

So a clevo would at least give me the v8 sound, and be simple as hell to install and wire up. A Windsor means a wiring headache, no one seems to do simple looms to run them here, and the only carbed one I've seen for sale was like 4K and it was in Tasmania.

4k for 150kw is even stupider than 2.5k for a 150kw clevo haha.

this is one of those times I envy the Holden guys haha. Their v8 stuff is so much cheaper and easier to come by,

Im just mulling over engine options for my van, really wanted to go Ls but I just can't afford to go that far at the moment. 
So a clevo would at least give me the v8 sound, and be simple as hell to install and wire up. A Windsor means a wiring headache, no one seems to do simple looms to run them here, and the only carbed one I've seen for sale was like 4K and it was in Tasmania.
4k for 150kw is even stupider than 2.5k for a 150kw clevo haha.
this is one of those times I envy the Holden guys haha. Their v8 stuff is so much cheaper and easier to come by,
My plan in the ZL was to put a carby on a NC fairlane windsor. From what I remember they a carby manifold bolts on no problems. Then run straight gas for emissions.

Sent from my 5046I using Tapatalk

A good running 302c would be cheap way to go..just finding one that won’t need a rebuild..

Internally, you will probably have to do valve stem seals and the tell tale will be if it blows smoke on start up, but that’s easy with a hand held spring compressor tool and bringing the pistons up to stop the valve dropping in,  if it needs stem seals, you could also drop in some new hydraulic lifters as they will probably be dished, and the rockers will be off at this time..

going further here than this cheap tune up will start to cost..of course a mild cam swap and chain,  but then your also pulling it apart ,  the dizzy..and carb will be old.. 

There’s a 302c on Facebook for sale in Tassie, 40 thou over on a fresh rebuild with roller rockers and a big cam...their words not mine haha. $6000 (tassie dollars).

I’m not sure if it’s a joke or what...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deankdx likes this

There’s a 302c on Facebook for sale in Tassie, 40 thou over on a fresh rebuild with roller rockers and a big cam...their words not mine haha. $6000 (tassie dollars).

I’m not sure if it’s a joke or what...

Scary thing is I've seen a few clevo prices like that. Not a 302 though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whats in the van now?

A whole lot of space....

26faa3c9ec9f97fad14baae751558041.jpg

Was a crossflow, and I actually still have my warm crossflow sitting here I was gonna use but I really wanna go v8 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Undefeated likes this

So after putting a few ads up on bookface last night looking for a clevo I got a surprising amount of responses.

cheapest so far was a 351/fmx for $1500, but #4 is only 80psi, and the rest 120/140.

another 351 with fresh rings n bearings. Stock cam 2v. Ready to start for 3k

3rd option was 4v d block with solid cam and roller rockers. That onewas way out of my budget at $5500.

at that price id just go Ls, considering id still need a gearbox, pipes etc.

was hoping this was gonna be a cheaper way to v8 the pano but I'm having my doubts.

still waiting on a couple of replies for other engines too.

the Carrum F100 wrecker in Melbourne ships aust wide,
he wanted $1100 complete good runner. and $300 ish for an FMX..
here's one of his Ads, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carrum-downs/wrecking/f100-and-bronco-parts-in-carrum-downs/1134834080

need to phone him to check.
if he hasn't got one in stock he'll probably get one soon, he turns em over fast because he's cheap.
ask for everything needed so it can bolt into an X falcon (tailshaft yoke, Tbar shift?, manifolds, all belts on alt and power steering pump etc? .whatever you can think of)
you'll still need to buy anything falcon related.. 

other than buying and wrecking a rusty V8 falcon, he's the best bet for cheap.. 
otherwise i'd be buying a complete setup and paying $4000 to rebuild it probably. 

That 80psi may be valves not rings..ask him to slam a bit of oil down the plug hole and see if it gets compression..if it’s still 80psi?? it’s a probably a head job..they flog guides out..

35 minutes ago, deankdx said:

the Carrum F100 wrecker in Melbourne ships aust wide,
he wanted $1100 complete good runner. and $300 ish for an FMX..
here's one of his Ads, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carrum-downs/wrecking/f100-and-bronco-parts-in-carrum-downs/1134834080

need to phone him to check.
if he hasn't got one in stock he'll probably get one soon, he turns em over fast because he's cheap.
ask for everything needed so it can bolt into an X falcon (tailshaft yoke, Tbar shift?, manifolds, all belts on alt and power steering pump etc? .whatever you can think of)
you'll still need to buy anything falcon related.. 

other than buying and wrecking a rusty V8 falcon, he's the best bet for cheap.. 
otherwise i'd be buying a complete setup and paying $4000 to rebuild it probably. 

Thanks, il check him out. 

28 minutes ago, Undefeated said:

That 80psi may be valves not rings..ask him to slam a bit of oil down the plug hole and see if it gets compression..if it’s still 80psi?? it’s a probably a head job..they flog guides out..

He did say it's possibly just heads, but it's early days, don't need to jump,at the first few options.

been offered a gem 302 for $600. Complete motor

deankdx and Undefeated like this

Why don’t you put that cranky crossflow in?? If it’s everything they said it is, it should have you leaving a stain on the drivers seat in no time!

On 16/04/2018 at 8:05 PM, Defective said:

He did say it's possibly just heads, but it's early days, don't need to jump,at the first few options.

been offered a gem 302 for $600. Complete motor

i'd be happy with a good 302.. 
mainly the sound, performance, anything new will chop it probably even if its a reasonable 351 clevo

Yep, too right..!  But, they sound awesome.... 

They are a dinosaur, engineering wise, but hell, who cares. There's still guys driving around with Flatheads in their Hot Rods, I'll always be a Cleveland fella.

They have oil issues, they're heavy over the front wheels, they are just heavy in general, match that to a cast iron FMX, and Jeez...!!  

But, sink the boot, chirp in second gear, and grin like a cheshire cat all day. 

Valvebouncer and deankdx like this

Why don’t you put that cranky crossflow in?? If it’s everything they said it is, it should have you leaving a stain on the drivers seat in no time!

I’ve talked myself into thinking that crossy is more of a liability. That and I don’t wanna go to the effort of an engine swap just to have the same old donkey in there.
It may reappear at some point.

Valvebouncer likes this