Sign in to follow this  
xebruce

Fly wheel option.

bought a t5 combo out of a mustang to bolt up to my cleveland. Came with bellhousing, fly wheel, clutch, fork ect.  The fly wheel it came with is a 157 tooth 50oz ford one.When i got my motor built the rotating assembly was sent away and balanced. Wondering what sort of fly wheel i should be using with it?

I assume if i get a 28oz one and match it up with the flex plate when i take the c4 out I should be able to copy where the material was removed from the flex plate when it was balanced and it should be close enough. But then again we all know wat happens when you rely on assumptions lol.

Any input would be well received thanks

If you’ve gone to the trouble of balancing the motor then I’d get the flywheel lightened and balance it at the same. I know blokes have lightened flywheels on 6 cylinder speedway motors and they’ve noticed a difference in power.

You have to use a 28oz flywheel. If you want a 157 tooth, any Windsor one up until about 1981 will do, but after then it's 50oz.

A 157 will bolt up to a clevo but you need the bell housing to go with it. If you use a 164 bell on a 157 flywheel, the starter will sit too far out and won't engage the ring gear.

Mustang T5 bells are 5/8" longer to match the US T5 input shaft lengt, and a local box will need a local V8 bell which doesn't exist in 157 tooth. There are spacers around but that only solves one problem.

Later E-series Windsor bells are the longer mustang type so no good there either. Problem is if you use that later E-series bell and box, it will all bolt up but the shifter will sit in the wrong spot and the trans mount won't line up.

So then you have the drama of using a 164 tooth flywheel, without a T5 housing to suit. Dellow or CRS might have something but be prepared to shell out.

I had to butcher a toploader bell to fit an E-series T5 to my clevo. Mounts and shifter position were spot-on. Used a 164 tooth flywheel and shaved it down to a bit over 10 kg. There's a thread on here somewhere.

Paying to correct a 50oz to 28 is false economy. Balancing is pretty expensive compared to just finding the right bits.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk