Kiwi-E

Power steering box adjustment

Anyone had experience adjusting or overhauling a power steering box? Or have a link to a workshop manual for one?

Just thought I'd ask before i have a go at adjusting mine.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

just beware if you undo the top cover grub screw(allen key) theres like a 80% chance that thread will strip.. (fairly sure this is the "fine adjustment" ) and the other adjuster is inside the wheel well. i've only done the fine one.

if you decide to do that, i'd suggest removing the cover, removing the o ring, heating it with a blow torch or heat gun etc and possibly spraying cold spray on the grub screw then removing the grub screw.. then reassemble and adjust..

it could be the case that the top cover is worn and this is not going to fix the issue, there are some with bearings fitted, some relying on just the alloy.. so you may need a top cover anyway.

i wouldn't mess with it without spares or taking precautions cant find it on ebay anymore, found a thread that mentions something on it..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFpi_YzF8I0-vqtjVlZGrjfIRWmVmp2lbf-P3W1GPDOPnP6Way

Cheers Dean. I've got one box that binds quite badly and one supposedly good box but it has a fair bit of play.
I might strip the binding box down or have a crack at adjusting it before touching the 'good' box

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

it could be the case that the top cover is worn and this is not going to fix the issue, there are some with bearings fitted, some relying on just the alloy.. so you may need a top cover anyway.

The early tops have a bronze bush, pressed into the alloy top.
And the later tops, had a torrington race roller bearing.