Server maintenance Read more... ×
Crustydog

351 into 84 xe

I know its been covered in part on the net and on here but i still haven't  found a  definite answer. 

Has anyone in N.S.W gotten a 84 xe regod with a 351c. Some info i read states that you can because the v8 was a option for xe's, then some say that because the 84 models didnt come with a 8 option you can't. 

Is it just a matter of getting it engineered? 

Cheers

i did it with Mine, and BGDAV's is also a 1984, no engineers required in Vic going back over 5 yrs.. just needed a mechanical report saying all V8 components were used in conversion. (aka , springs and brakes) 

no idea on the current rules, but i'd be guessing it would be simple with engineers if you needed one(should also be simple for XF really) 

It’s to do with adr27c 1983 revised cause 1982 follow version adr27b.Emissions from what I gather. I have heard and read that in NSW require engineers but yet Victoria don’t. Even in EPA Victoria states that a v8 can be put into any XE cause it was a option. Best bet would be call a engineer or RMS NSW. To me it makes no sense when all states are meant to follow federal rules on vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's basically the same in SA.  If it came with a V8 option, it's just an engine swap. Dan @slo247 has just done the paperwork, they haven't even seen his car. As i said, that's here in Adelaide.  There's a couple of guys here with Clevo XF's, just need to hit the firewall with a hammer. LOL..!

all mine were totally ileagil no cats ,holleys,no emissions,they were not even interested in any of that,i guess i got lucky,they were only interested in the shiny polished weiand rocker covers.

i think the mechanic i dealt with was only looking for electronic ignition, pollution spec carb(would have been happy with a quadrajet off a commodore V8) but i had a thermoquad still, and egr fitted.. 
as soon as it was registered a holley and egr block happened anyway, so it makes me wonder what the difference was at the tailpipe from that? 

All this worrying about the traffic authorities is not worth it , i have found that all they check is the new engine number  to the engineers report its the guys writing the blue slip or roadworthy to get sweet with.

You MUST have a vent. PCV to base of carby usually. Can use K&N style filter caps on the rocker covers. I used to block all the emission hoses to charcoal canister, EGR and such..... 

On 04/04/2018 at 11:05 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

I have done several in QLD its xf's they dont like.

what did you have to go through to get the clevo in? I have two clevo blocks seating here ready to be put in the XE if it's relatively easy, one has the 4MAB crank just needs rods pistons and heads :)

In NSW, reading between the lines, a post-82 XE would need an engineer's ticket due to the ADRs that came out that year effectively killing the V8.

1982 had ADR 27B, and they quickly ramped it up to 27C on Jan 1 1983, which had a stricter emissions requirement for passenger cars. You'd have to (at your own expense) prove that it complies with the later emissions standard of the vehicle it's going into.

That's if the person doing the compliance check is doing their job. If not, disregard everything I just said.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk