gavinmcmillan

Hi All! 81 XD

73 posts in this topic

Prob the reversing/lockout switch on the trans. There should be a black rubber, squarish looking plug at the rear of the engine. Try bypassing the 2 smaller black/red ?  wires, lights should come on. The 2 thicker wires are the Neutral safety start circuit. 

Outback Jack and deankdx like this

Prob the reversing/lockout switch on the trans. There should be a black rubber, squarish looking plug at the rear of the engine. Try bypassing the 2 smaller black/red ?  wires, lights should come on. The 2 thicker wires are the Neutral safety start circuit. 

I haven’t been able to find this switch - do you happen to have an image?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's not standard, could be a boot release?
where does the wire go?

Ah ok, I assumed it was standard - I’ll trace it through and see where it goes

5 minutes ago, gavinmcmillan said:

Ah ok, I assumed it was standard - I’ll trace it through and see where it goes

look in the boot lid, see if it has a solenoid, and what colour the wire is if so...

look in the boot lid, see if it has a solenoid, and what colour the wire is if so...

Yep it’s apparently the boot release - but it doesn’t work. I’m wondering now if it could be related to the reversing lights not working. I think I’m going to need to get electrical on the weekend lol

half the reason i know so much about these cars, and also the gemini's i have..is due to issues.

fix enough issues and you'll know the car inside out.. and soon enough, you'll either love the car for it or hate it(i ended up hating My XG XR6... i'll miss it when its worth $20k lol)

Outback Jack likes this

half the reason i know so much about these cars, and also the gemini's i have..is due to issues.
fix enough issues and you'll know the car inside out.. and soon enough, you'll either love the car for it or hate it(i ended up hating My XG XR6... i'll miss it when its worth $20k lol)

Haha I hear ya - investing in a multimeter now!

Outback Jack likes this

Just now, gavinmcmillan said:

Haha I hear ya - investing in a multimeter now!

$10 at Jaycar.. get one with a buzzer, might be $10 extra, is worth it. 

bear351c and Outback Jack like this

Yep it’s apparently the boot release - but it doesn’t work. I’m wondering now if it could be related to the reversing lights not working. I think I’m going to need to get electrical on the weekend lol

So traced that cable - the radio had been wired into it so at least I know where that is powered from. Also this is the boot release... explain why it isn’t working!

https://i.imgur.com/Ewl7gTc.jpg

That boot release looks like the old SL/E commodore jobby, in the glovebox....VH, VL maybe.......?  But, yeah, there's a good reason why it dont work. :lol:

Outback Jack likes this

1 hour ago, gavinmcmillan said:

Hey I’m struggling to find the fuel filter - I’ve followed the lines from the tank to engine bay and I think it’s either built into the pump or it’s in this thing?

https://i.imgur.com/rUmRNAy.jpg

Or have I completely missed it?

that's the charcoal canister..

the filter if its even got one will be in the fuel hose from the left wheel side to the fuel pump inlet ..

will look something like this..https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/ryco-fuel-filter-z14?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgPz84OHM2gIVjA4rCh1qXgLuEAQYBCABEgJPCfD_BwE

Some had a mesh/metal type filter where the fuel line goes into the carby. Actually looks like a part of the carb. Most old cars had a Z14 like Dean showed you, just cut and shut in the rubber line 'somewhere'... Z92 has a 90* top, on it, if you get stuck for space. EFI cars usually have one in the tank, carb versions just have a 'sock' on the end of the metal pipe in the tank.

5 hours ago, gavinmcmillan said:

I think the key there might be the 'If it has one' - i cant seem to locate one. Should it have one?

good chance it hasn't got one, follow the fuel line from the carby back in the engine bay. the stromberg  carby doesn't have a filter in it. 

Yep, the close up part goes to the speedo drive, the oily blue/red wires, behind, are to the reverse/neutral safety starter. 

So I’ve checked over the cables from the lights back to that switch and I can’t seem to find anything wrong with the cables - is it hard to replace the switch?

Not sure, which 'box you running......C4 or Borgy?  I've replaced one on an FMX, but, it was a shit of a job. But can be done.