gavinmcmillan

Hi All! 81 XD

65 posts in this topic

Hi All,

New to the site and looking to get lots of advice on my 1981 XD. We got it from my father in law and its in great nick but looking to fix it up as its been off the road for a while. Few things wrong with it i'm looking into at the moment:

• Oil Pressure reads 0 even after replacing the sensor
  • Fuel Sender doesn't seem to work (when ignition is on its full, when ignition is off is 0
If you've got an XD and you've done some work and can offer me some advice reach out :-)

Gavin

IMG_0740-2.thumb.jpg.2f054b69d0ae8e0d2b6339ab39fd26f3.jpg

da20073e81d806bbcac765bf16c320b0.jpg6024cdac25c3b8d3f9dc53c1d60298ae.jpg1f319b9ecce6fd6cb963009f33f566d9.jpg9a265372a13654dc3212e349922b7a06.jpg

Outback Jack, EgoXF and Free.51 like this

Welcome aboard Gavin, that’s a sweet looking xd you’ve got there mate. Your problem could be a bad earth if electrical gauges aren’t working. I think there is one that goes from the gearbox and is bolted to the firewall, maybe undo it and check that the terminal eyelet is clean and fit it back on and secure it tightly. I’ve heard of this being the cause of a few issues on xd & xe Falcons. Also wouldn’t hurt to check that the earth terminal on the battery is nice and clean and tight. Good luck, Ando

Outback Jack likes this

Welcome mate! The XD looks like its in pretty good nic, would love to see some more photos. Hope you get all the info you need

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 02/04/2018 at 10:14 PM, EgoXF said:

Welcome mate! The XD looks like its in pretty good nic, would love to see some more photos. Hope you get all the info you need

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

More photos at this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90v8nxl3ee2ttbi/AAA5qAty5cHUZ6AjOhikqr6Ta?dl=0

new plugs and leads arrive today. Have ordered new rocker cover gasket as it looks like it’s leaking. Had to change the oil twice to clean it out lol

On 02/04/2018 at 5:42 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

nice car looks like a fairmont

Yes has a Fairmont badge. Was curious on where’s to get info on the different models. Under hood it just says ‘Falcon XD 1981’ and has a Fairmont badge on the back. Also when I was looking at fuel pump it looks more like the V8 pump and apparently has a long range fuel tank?

won't be a V8 pump, they won't fit. 

you'd be well to ring 13ford and ask for a verification letter. it will state how it came from factory (which is likely pretty much how it is now other than that fancy radio )

often or possibly all fairmonts had falcon written on the id tag, the chassis number will dictate if it is or not. 

eg if it starts with JG23 its a falcon, JG34 fairmont, JG32 if fairmont ghia etc. 

the chrome trim around the guards and should be on bonnet should mean at least fairmont.. if it has disc brakes on the rear it could be a ghia, (ghia had alloy wheels though when new)

i don't think XD had option for tank size.  

won't be a V8 pump, they won't fit. 
you'd be well to ring 13ford and ask for a verification letter. it will state how it came from factory (which is likely pretty much how it is now other than that fancy radio )
often or possibly all fairmonts had falcon written on the id tag, the chassis number will dictate if it is or not. 
eg if it starts with JG23 its a falcon, JG34 fairmont, JG32 if fairmont ghia etc. 
the chrome trim around the guards and should be on bonnet should mean at least fairmont.. if it has disc brakes on the rear it could be a ghia, (ghia had alloy wheels though when new)
i don't think XD had option for tank size.  

That’s awesome advice - I’ll call 13Ford and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
deankdx likes this

ahh just read your first post, the oil guage on an S pack or Ghia cluster wont work with the oil pressure switch fitted you have on the engine..

switch (seen in the drop box link) is for a base model switch is either on or of for the oil light..

if you have 6 gauges on the intstrument cluster, you need the S pack or Ghia oil sender.. link here to one on ebay for eg https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VDO-OIL-PRESSURE-SENDER-FORD-FALCON-XR-XT-XW-XY-XA-XB-XC-XD-FAIRLANE-ZF-ZG-ZH-/321221360305

if you only have a speedo and fuel and temp guage, you have the correct switch. the light should go out.. take a pic of the cluster incase it's an LTD one(still has tacho but is missing warning lights etc fitted in a side panel) 

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AABheAi7yWU7-YjUt-NLdxRpwLZ4zdlap1GYxzNYF3u9gQ/12/35040577/jpeg/32x32/3/1522818000/0/2/Photo 2-4-18%2C 5 10 37 pm.jpg/EID66roKGAggBygH/hC7fRW_V2ymUUw5_pXYoFoOtGJSvUVuF_lfY2AwQnUM?dl=0&size=1280x960&size_mode=3

you'd probably be worth pulling the fuel sender out of the fuel tank and taking a look at it, if the car was sitting for a long time, it could be full of crud/rust.. the wire for the fuel sender might not be fitted even. 
i'd guess these might be hard to find for a replacement. don't use E10 or Ethanol fuel in them as the fuel gauge sender doesn't like it. 

gavinmcmillan likes this

ahh just read your first post, the oil guage on an S pack or Ghia cluster wont work with the oil pressure switch fitted you have on the engine..
switch (seen in the drop box link) is for a base model switch is either on or of for the oil light..
if you have 6 gauges on the intstrument cluster, you need the S pack or Ghia oil sender.. link here to one on ebay for eg https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VDO-OIL-PRESSURE-SENDER-FORD-FALCON-XR-XT-XW-XY-XA-XB-XC-XD-FAIRLANE-ZF-ZG-ZH-/321221360305
if you only have a speedo and fuel and temp guage, you have the correct switch. the light should go out.. take a pic of the cluster incase it's an LTD one(still has tacho but is missing warning lights etc fitted in a side panel) 
https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AABheAi7yWU7-YjUt-NLdxRpwLZ4zdlap1GYxzNYF3u9gQ/12/35040577/jpeg/32x32/3/1522818000/0/2/Photo 2-4-18%2C 5 10 37 pm.jpg/EID66roKGAggBygH/hC7fRW_V2ymUUw5_pXYoFoOtGJSvUVuF_lfY2AwQnUM?dl=0&size=1280x960&size_mode=3

Ok I’ll get a shot of the Taco tonight - it has 6 gauges. That explains a lot about the oil pressure switch because the original must have died, the one in there now I put in the other day to replace the same type that was already in there.

let us know if its fairmont ghia (JG32 chassis number first two letters) if it's not, only the S pack came with tacho. so someone may have only fitted the cluster and not the sender(rookie mistake most people make) 

Outback Jack likes this

2 hours ago, gavinmcmillan said:

More photos at this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90v8nxl3ee2ttbi/AAA5qAty5cHUZ6AjOhikqr6Ta?dl=0

new plugs and leads arrive today. Have ordered new rocker cover gasket as it looks like it’s leaking. Had to change the oil twice to clean it out lol

That XD Fairmont, looks MINT! (as deankdx would say :P)

The Sports Instrument cluster was a factory option, AND a dealer accessory, across the XD/XE range.
You just had to tick a box, or have it dealer fitted.

Remember to keep as much stuff matching numbers/original/date code correct as possible.
Doing that will push the value up. :)

deankdx likes this

Alright, a bit more progress! its a JG34YP, i've added some shots of the Taco to the drop box link - i'll have to get the right oil pressure sender. Does this tell me anything else about the car?

Also in the drop box i've added a photo of the left hand side which i couldn't get a shot of earlier, its missing the two black chrome strips on the front and rear door and the rear door needs some panel work. In terms of holdings its value with the rear door am i better off getting it straightened up and respraying it or finding a replacement door?

JG34 is fairmont, not sure the rest of the chassis number tells anything else(YP i think is month and year code? ) rest is body number  to My knowledge.

if you have a look at the compliance tags you'll get some info that you can already tell about the car.. 

for eg paint is probably 9(sno white) 

trim (no idea, but it will be a colour code)

trans (will be relavant to Tbar auto)

engine( will be relevant to 4.1 6 cyl)

the 13Ford verification letter will say if it had a certain stereo(pioneer radio cassette possibly)  clock? if the instrument cluster was optioned(doubt it)(could remove it and probably find a date code sticker on the back, if it doesn't match the rest on the car, it's not original) 

as for the door, if you could find a good one the same colour etc, stick it on..(who's going to know it's not the original? ) (i'd rather a good door than a bent one) if you can repair it well enough, it will look good anyway.

you may find more of those side moulds, there are a few different styles of them out there. 

as for keeping it original, keep it how you will enjoy it.. they are rare to be in good condition these days. if you have space to keep anything you change so it can go back to standard then power to you.. i'd be just as happy lowering it, putting a set of decent wheels on and making it run right to enjoy 

every XD i owned ended up with a V8 fitted. 

clean, lowered and mags, hard to go wrong.. 

ESP (pictured above) stuff is very expensive as you'll find out soon enough

37 minutes ago, gavinmcmillan said:

thanks mate, I'll get on top of that verification letter! This photo is my inspiration at the mo! https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e0dtg5tnkkm27o/Fairmont_Ghia_XD_ESP.jpg?dl=0

Awesome XD!

If you need help with getting a Ford verification letter, there's a thread that can give you some help. Instructions are a post or two further down.

Awesome XD!
If you need help with getting a Ford verification letter, there's a thread that can give you some help. Instructions are a post or two further down.

Awesome thanks for that!

Hey mate, welcome aboard! Very tidy looking XD considering its age.

Most people use an external picture host that can allow remote sharing of pictures (like Photobucket but they went dodgy).
Otherwise if you use mobile, the Tapatalk app allows you to upload pictures off your phone.

I added a couple of your pictures to your original post, hope you don't mind.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

EgoXF likes this