Server maintenance Read more... ×
roKWiz

XF Xflow non EST dizzy replacement

After reading the entire auto electrics threads here on this forum and still having no clue as to pin pointing issues with the ignition system on a XF xflow carby only engine.

Usual (non carby) problems of hard starting, delayed acceleration, high speed occasional back fire, low spark when hot.

I think I'm due a new replacement coil but would like to go back to a simpler electronic ignition system and move the coil to a cooler area of the engine bay. Can anyone help with what I need to do to eliminate the EST module, so I can run a basic TFI dizzy on my stock crossflow engine.

I have seen replacement electronic dizzy's on ebay (see link) claiming to eliminate the EST, anyone know what involved ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRONIC-DISTRIBUTOR-FITS-FORD-FALCON-XF-6-CYL-3-3L-4-1L-84-87-Sedan-Ute-Van/222797938103?hash=item33dfcabdb7:g:7dAAAOSwUg9aXU2V

Appreciate the help on this.

if you fitted that dizzy in place of the EST, all you need to do is join the 2 wires to the coil, red to + and black to - then unplug the est computer.(it will work with it plugged in, but mine had issues later on that were fixed when i unplugged it.

if you have a backfire, and flat spot, check the dizzy cap and rotor button, i had one once where the cap was fucked and that blew my muffler up when it backfired..
flat spot on acceleration is likely to be accelerator pump diaphragm on the carby(if it was on gas, put a kit through the carby, all the gaskets and diaphrams dry out)
i'd change the coil for cutting out issue also.. they are at least accessible on a XF.. near impossible on the later cars without a hoist 

naturally remove the old dissy preferably at top dead center so you can drop the new one in with the rotor button pointing in the same spot so the timing is easier begin with

Thanks deankdk,

Much appreciated advice.

Yeah, probably doesn't help knowing the carby is in need of a rebuild (I will do that first as I just got the kit for it) When I bought the van I replaced the cap and rotor, plugs, leads and checked for vacuum leaks, thinking this was its only problem but I've traced most of the problems back to the coil and EST. After I did all this I thought I had a blocked cat causing the lack of power.

Shouldn't be too hard to bolt the coil to the shock tower area on the passenger side.

I think Ford's logic of having it on the motor was to eliminate vibration from the road.

Have you checked the timing? And when setting it there is a plug that needs two pins shorted out to tell the EST computer not to adjust the timing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Have you checked the timing? 

I can feel sideways movement in the dizzy shaft. So I haven't done any timing yet until carby has a new kit through it first.

Two strange things which happens are when the fan blower is on and I accelerate, blower goes off until reaching cruising speed and if i flash headlights at highway speed it momentarily lacks power. Coil ?? earthing ??

Sideways movement could be bad. My ute when I first got it went through two dizzy gears - fixed it by swapping the motor.

Have heard rumours that late xflow blocks had poor casting causing alignment issues with the dizzy gear on the cam.302daae587e4a7b90e2045ef65e3ef6c.jpgcccdbcc8db7c08ab628856b60636dd5b.jpg2afb10e78a73b88589e8c057a6124dff.jpg

Looking at it today I reckon I'll move that crap coil from its heat source, not happy with the coil lead running along side the block resting on top of the fuel pump.

What do you guys recommend for a standard basic coil replacement something like GT40, HEC716 ??

Coil lead is too long if it's sitting on top of fuel pump.

I've always just gone with a standard replacement, not the modern transformer type.

Being a electronic dizzy, GT40 (and equivalent) are not the same as the OEM ones,

15 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

Coil lead is too long if it's sitting on top of fuel pump.

I've always just gone with a standard replacement, not the modern transformer type.

Being a electronic dizzy, GT40 (and equivalent) are not the same as the OEM ones,

Thanks Mr Polson, leads not to long, I changed all the old rubbish leads with a standard black Bosch replacement set.

I don't think the OEM Ford coils are available anymore Is there a good coil replacement for an electronic dizzy which now doesn't use the EST which I'm about to unplug as I bought the new one listed above off ebay. Not sure where I will plug the vacuum advance to either yet as the old ADM Weber has got so many ports.

14 minutes ago, GregHamilton said:

What coil should I use with the non est dizzy?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

one that suits your cap style for starters(the leaded XF had posts, the XE had older style, they are the same dizzy. ) 
the EST coil is the same coil if that's all you are asking. 
otherwise, not sure what better coils suit, i've always used stock ones 

The dizzy cap is the same as this. And this is the coil that came off the car. I'm hoping to get a new one but can't find one. I've found a bosch gt40 coil but it has a female post on top. 3004743362ee536ee4ba4956f3753d95.jpga0e59d61be17c5ba89b566de96dc7c1f.jpg

That coil will be fine as long as it's a gt40 and not a gt40r (the r stands for resistor and it needs a 7v supply to suit points) although as long as you can get a coil lead to suit the standard eat coil is fine for an xe dizzy as long as it is in good nick

That coil will be fine as long as it's a gt40 and not a gt40r (the r stands for resistor and it needs a 7v supply to suit points) although as long as you can get a coil lead to suit the standard eat coil is fine for an xe dizzy as long as it is in good nick

No worries thanks. I've decided to stick with the EST setup. Having clearance issues with the heap of shit dizzy I got off Ebay 81b759e714ebeff6e0cf7df713b32a28.jpg

Also. When I bought the car I removed all the pollution gear and the Weber and put a Holley on it, I removed this too but my car runs without it. What does it do?9c6dab25c2ebe6c1583dd980fa990218.jpg