Ando81

Ba V8 Miss At Idle Now & Again

Hi all, my brother has an irregular fault with his ba falcon ute. It is a V8 but pretty sure it’s the 220 engine not the boss. So sometimes when he starts it and it runs at idle it’s asif 2 cylinders drop out and the engine runs rough. It may only be 1 cylinder but it sounds bad. The engine light comes on but a scan tool will not find any codes. It can idle rough for up to 2 or more minutes but if he turns the engine off then re-starts it it will run perfectly. I suspect an electrical gremlin somewhere. The ute runs great even when you give it a thrashing through the gears “manual”. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter

How long ago did it have plugs? Some owners might catch wind of the plug issues and avoid doing them.

A dud plug won't show up on diagnostics because a coil only belts out voltage. It gives zero fucks where it goes after that, whether it be across the plug gap, tracking across some carbon buldup on the porcelain, though the insulator or out of a lead to the rocker cover.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Sorry, only just saw this post. BAs were reknowned for dry solder joints in the ecu which causes random misses. Boil the kettle and pour it over the ecu, it will soften the solder inside and fix the joints. Be wary changing spark plugs in these as they snap in the head. The first of them had problems with the timing chain tensioners, you hear it clattering on a cold start up and if it is really bad the noise will always be there.

I’m wondering if there is an ecu diagnostics test that I can do, I saw a bloke do it years ago and got a code out of an Na fairlane with his test light. Or does obd do all of that now?

Or even attempting to get the security bolts undo to remove the ecu.
I have done it on a ute that was miss firing and as I poured the water it stopped the miss. I did another 20,000km in that ute with no further problems

Boiling water to fix the solder joints???? Surely you’re taking the piss
Nope VB is in the money. We had an RTV with the same problem. Running rough and couldn't solve it with coil packs, blah blah until Ford techs came to our shop and one of our blokes saw one of them sneekily lay his hand on the computer and it would go away. Just the warmth of that was enough to make a difference. ECU done under warranty. When they went from EEC V to Delphi that was a step backwards in reliability.

Nope VB is in the money. We had an RTV with the same problem. Running rough and couldn't solve it with coil packs, blah blah until Ford techs came to our shop and one of our blokes saw one of them sneekily lay his hand on the computer and it would go away. Just the warmth of that was enough to make a difference. ECU done under warranty. When they went from EEC V to Delphi that was a step backwards in reliability.

I wish I was in the money!!