GoofyBuddah

Confused XG project

G'day folks I'm a noob here. But heres my problem. I own an xg falcon longreach (i think its a longreach)(nov' 93) i bought it as a project. I've stumbled into a problem with the radiator. I ordered a replacement but its not wide enough; nor does it have the mounting pins at the corners. (The rubber bungs are set 750 mm apart.) But every radiator I've found has this issue of being not wide enough. Any ideas as to why?

Hi mate,

Do you have the correct radiator?  Is it original? Maybe you could scan a wreckers yard and see what is 'normal' for your model? 

Got any pics of the car and the radiator?

Bit hard to diagnose over the Internet. 

....and Welcome. :)

For some reason i can't share my photos that i have, grrrrrrr. I hate my phone lol. Already done the wreckers thing and there are none here in tasmania. Coz ppl are snaveling them up for projects. And like said this is the only radiator that is for a longreach. Are there any differences with the longreach, tradesman, and xr6 radiator wise. I was lookingbat an AU it has the corner pins in the radiator. Not sure if an Au one would fit though.

copper ones are expensive, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radiator-Falcon-XG-Ute-Longreach-1993-96-Auto-Or-Man-H-Duty-Copper-3-Row-NATRA/200625729527?fits=Make%3AFord|Plat_Gen%3AXG&hash=item2eb639aff7:g:5J8AAOSwrklVRqqb

i'd first buy an alloy one and make sure the car is even worth investing $500 odd on a copper one if so..

wrecker ones will all be crap, unless changed recently .. 
the XG takes a one off radiator, doesnt fit any other cars..u
I fitted xg rad into xe using original xe brackets top and bottom

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U03 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Mark Bretherton said:

I fitted xg rad into xe using original xe brackets top and bottom

the EF(XH) one fitted My XE better than XG, can't remember why i chose it.. may have just been due to the thermo's being easier to mount

uwGSrmv.jpg

the EF(XH) one fitted My XE better than XG, can't remember why i chose it.. may have just been due to the thermo's being easier to mount

uwGSrmv.jpg
Check photo see brackets see if it helpsb74c2d1a3f50056e0ff460f92144c461.jpg

G'day folks I'm a noob here. But heres my problem. I own an xg falcon longreach (i think its a longreach)(nov' 93) i bought it as a project. I've stumbled into a problem with the radiator. I ordered a replacement but its not wide enough; nor does it have the mounting pins at the corners. (The rubber bungs are set 750 mm apart.) But every radiator I've found has this issue of being not wide enough. Any ideas as to why?
This is her. We wiped out a roo moving here. Ill upload the other photos directly.63f62c6240ec73dc5ce42da2b9fd0f52.jpgd26f4870647541bfb1000afcf6abccb1.jpg46c6c5310c3277da4a1b8b13092d1b75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, GoofyBuddah said:

This is her. We wiped out a roo moving here. Ill upload the other photos directly.46c6c5310c3277da4a1b8b13092d1b75.jpg

this lower part looks home made or modified from another model, 

can see the lower strap from the XG part below it 

this lower part looks home made or modified from another model, 
can see the lower strap from the XG part below it 
Thats what I'm thinking. Bought it for an emergency move and it seems a bit frankensteinish.Lol

5 minutes ago, GoofyBuddah said:

Thats what I'm thinking. Bought it for an emergency move and it seems a bit frankensteinish.Lol

got a pic of the old radiator? could even be a commodore one?  
i think AU had the stake pins at the bottom also, but i didn't think they were wide like that is(unless it's offset to the left?)

i think AU had the stake pins at the bottom also, but i didn't think they were wide like that is(unless it's offset to the left?)
No photo of the old one

i'd be taking that lower brace off, looks like the lower radiator rest is there(missing rubber, you may be able to buy still? or use radiator hose rubber ?) 

how was it mounted at the top area? 
check your radiator hose size matches the water pump and thermostat and radiator outlets as different models at least had different water pump hose size(EF was smaller) 

The holes are 750mm apart.

i don't have any reference of that, i don't even have a ford currently.. could probably ring a radiator mob and ask if that makes sense to them, or just try fit the new radiator which looks like it should fit with that bodge removed?

i'd be taking that lower brace off, looks like the lower radiator rest is there(missing rubber, you may be able to buy still? or use radiator hose rubber ?) 
how was it mounted at the top area? 
check your radiator hose size matches the water pump and thermostat and radiator outlets as different models at least had different water pump hose size(EF was smaller) 
It was held by two mounts tech screwed on lol... it was a farm ute with rego and a canopy. The previous owner was pretty dodgy lol262f9b718ba9f71e3464289e67320c4d.jpg

they are not the XG top mounts.. 
so you need to decide if you can bodge it back with what you have or chase up all the bits to put it back how it was originally (hard to do in Tassie i bet, unless you can find someone wrecking an XG)

It was held by two mounts tech screwed on lol... it was a farm ute with rego and a canopy. The previous owner was pretty dodgy lol262f9b718ba9f71e3464289e67320c4d.jpg

Looks like commodore rad to me

Those brackets look bodgy look around for wreck and strip parts off.

they are not the XG top mounts.. 
so you need to decide if you can bodge it back with what you have or chase up all the bits to put it back how it was originally (hard to do in Tassie i bet, unless you can find someone wrecking an XG)
Its going back to stock.......ish. and do you know what this is from. bfac8164f15a7eb271d36c6f63e6fd2b.jpg

Someone has fitted an AU radiator. Those are butchered AU top radiator mounts and that is an AU bottom radiator support beam which has been chopped short.
Thanks mate.