Sign in to follow this  
Defective

Xf 3sp auto oil drain?

How do I drain the oil in my auto? I couldn't see any drain plugs when I was under there. Is it just a case of undoing the pan and letting it come out? Or can I undo one of the coolant lines and drain it that way?

8 minutes ago, Defective said:

Thanks I suspected that was the way. It's gonna be messy I think.

in the service manual, it says to undo the rearmost bolts first and move forward leaving the pan hang on the front bolts.. let it drain for a while, then when it's level it is only half full when you remove the pan.. it will still rain drops of fluid for a while probably, so have something on the ground(sheet of cardboard etc)

Ford ditched the drain plug on the 3spd autos in the 70's, my old man remembers the service bulletin - it saved them 8c per transmission pan to build them with no drain plug.

So yeah, undo the bolts and make a nice mess.

I keep meaning to add a drain plug into a spare pan for my auto in the wagon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Autos aren't meant to be drained that often, so they don't bother with high-tech things like drain plugs. A lot of shops do a flush, which only plugs into the cooler lines.

So it's off with the pan bolts and try not to make a mess as the oil pisses out in every direction.

One tip that shops use is remove all but one bolt on each corner and slowly back 3 of them out as you try and lower one corner to get the oil falling into one spot so you can catch it.

While the pan's off, do the filter and pan gasket. Use a smear vaseline to hold the new gasket in place as you raise it back up and put the bolts in.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I was just gonna drain it so it didn’t piss everywhere when I pull the drive shaft out. Might be easier to drain it that way haha

I don’t care

About the box, it will probably end up as scrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a spare tailshaft knock the uni out of the slip yoke and you have yourself an anti drain plug, old trans cooler lines screwed into the auto that have been cut off and bent over also help keeping the fluid off the floor

On 3/19/2018 at 11:52 PM, Thom said:

If you have a spare tailshaft knock the uni out of the slip yoke and you have yourself an anti drain plug, old trans cooler lines screwed into the auto that have been cut off and bent over also help keeping the fluid off the floor

Yep. got a spare FMX anna C4 yoke in the shed, for just such occasions.