Server maintenance Read more... ×
SPArKy_Dave

DECENT 14 inch Tyres

So, I need to get a set of new tyres, for standard x-series wheels.
Who would've thought tyres to suit stock 14 inch rims, would be so hard to come by!

Decent tyres, not chinese ice stakes.

The original 'stock' factory fitted x-series tyres, were ER70H14 - usually Olympic or Goodyear brand.
ER70's, had an overall rolling diameter of circa 652mm, and a width of 206mm

'Modern' equivalent sizes, are -

195/75R14 - 648mm rolling diameter
205/70R14 - 644mm rolling diameter
or
215/65R14 - 636mm rolling diameter

So far, in 195's or 205's, I've found some Japanese made Dunlop SP Sports, (only available in Thailand though. :/)

Nothing in Goodyear, anywhere in the world
Bridgestone have 195's available in their 'budget' Supercat brand (chinese made though)

Sumitomo does all three sizes (Japanese Made)
Hankook Optimo's in all three sizes (Indonesian Made)
Nexen (also Indonesian)
Federal (Taiwanese)
and
Nankang (chinese)

All the above, are around $100/tyre.

The best tyre I've found, is the recently re-released Dunlop Sport Classics,
only in 205, of the three sizes..... but they're $330 a tyre!

Then there is also a retro Michelin XWX tyre, available - but the tread pattern is more 70's era.
.... and they're even pricier than the Dunlop Classics.

It's all a bit depressing tbh.

What tyres to all you guys have on your 14 inch stockies?

2 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:
So, I need to get a set of new tyres, for standard x-series wheels.
Who would've thought, tyres to suit stock 14 inch rims, would be so hard to come by!

What tyres to all you guys have on your 14 inch stockies?

I run 195 60 14 white wall by kumho

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U03 using Tapatalk

the best cheap tyre i had on My stock wheels were 215/65/14s Bridgestone supercats. 

if they are the same as they were 5yrs ago, i'd be buying them again.. they lasted well, gripped well in the wet and dry and handled corners well.

there's no way i'd fit $300 a corner tyres to an X series unless EVERYTHING was New(ball joints, bushes, tie rods etc) and i'd done 10,000km without uneven wear after a good wheel alignment on 2 cheapie tyres on the front. 

the best cheap tyre i had on My stock wheels were 215/65/14s Bridgestone supercats. 
if they are the same as they were 5yrs ago, i'd be buying them again.. they lasted well, gripped well in the wet and dry and handled corners well.
Mine will come up for sale soon 2yr old very little wear

43 minutes ago, Mark Bretherton said:

I run 195 60 14 white wall by kumho

That tyre size, is much too small for a falcon, unfortunately.
195/60R14 rolling diameter, is only 590mm

Stock, is circa 650mm

53 minutes ago, deankdx said:

If it was 5yrs ago, you could've gotten the last of the Australian made ones.
Aussie tyre manufacturing, closed down around 8yrs ago this month.

The one plant, produced tyres for Goodyear, Dunlop and Bridgestone brands.
(which included Sava Tyres, Kelly Tyres, Supercats, and a few others)

yeah, can't make anything in Oz, makes too much pollution.. but you can make them elsewhere and pollute as much as you like and then ship them all over the world making more pollution.. good thinking ?

so what's the plan? off to Jollys wrecker for some 8yr old tyres for $120 a set?... 

Dad had Bob Jane all-rounders. Really not a bad tyre for the money. Lasted ages too.

I find Korean tyres very grippy when new but go off after 18 months and get rock-hard.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, gerg said:

I find Korean tyres very grippy when new but go off after 18 months and get rock-hard.

Yeah, it definitely makes them long lasting... LOL!

Yeah, it definitely makes them long lasting... LOL!
Original tyres at impossible thanks for cheap imports i have order 195×60×15 '1 205×60×15'2 245×60×15'2 from a company called tyres direct who come to my place fit and balance 610$ in brisbane found them on google you just have to look around .

But get thrown out with the car as you write it off into a power pole

If you drive accordingly and not flogging it they will last

If you drive accordingly and not flogging it they will last

I had Nankangs on my EA, 225/60s and gripped awesome. Then they went hard and let's just say that roundabouts were interesting in the wet.

39 minutes ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Do they have some there? (Jollys)
They'd have to be worth it...

Jollys Dandenong has the biggest stock of cheap tyres off Rims, Jollys Ringwood usually only sell them on wheels $160 a set for EF stockies with new dunlops i saw a while back when i had the XG.. didn't buy them, because i bought FTRs with 3 new Bridgestone tyres from Pick a part for $120..

Sandy Tyres in Sandringham have good prices for used tyres also, ( i got 2 x 235 40? 17s fitted for BGDAV for $50 each, and the gemini semi slicks in 205/60/13 were $250 fitted, they had HEAPS of tyres out the back.. give them a ring if you can be bothered https://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/sandringham/sandy-tyre-auto-15698044-listing.html

Jollys Dandenong has the biggest stock of cheap tyres off Rims, Jollys Ringwood usually only sell them on wheels $160 a set for EF stockies with new dunlops i saw a while back when i had the XG.. didn't buy them, because i bought FTRs with 3 new Bridgestone tyres from Pick a part for $120..
Sandy Tyres in Sandringham have good prices for used tyres also, ( i got 2 x 235 40? 17s fitted for BGDAV for $50 each, and the gemini semi slicks in 205/60/13 were $250 fitted, they had HEAPS of tyres out the back.. give them a ring if you can be bothered https://www.yellowpages.com.au/vic/sandringham/sandy-tyre-auto-15698044-listing.html

We have a similar place here in Sydney town at Milperra. Haven't bought new tyres for 20 years now. Cheap late model rims too.

I’ll have to take a photo of the tyres we have on the Xr6 . They were $105 each for 245/40/18 . They are the stickiest quietest and hardest wearing tyre we have had. We went over corrugated roads in the Pilliga ranges that were notorious for cutting up tyres, we had nothing. I looked up reviews on them and the only bad review said they were no good in snow and ice ( derr). They are Chinese made and come out of the same factory as Dunlop’s.

Edit:

ee700af08d7b2f079694b59d7c47c20c.jpg

1b422c0bdac417b9158b39e9dd6249cc.jpg

Sold by Beta tyres in girraween ( around the corner from vg auto paints )

I had Nankangs on my EA, 225/60s and gripped awesome. Then they went hard and let's just say that roundabouts were interesting in the wet.

Not being a smart are but when I started driving we only had conventional tyre which where alway hard and we drove to the 2r rule revs and road condition

Yeah I've never had a lose that I couldn't catch so I don't drive like a dickhead. It's more if you have oil or diesel down, a hard tyre will slip earlier.

Maxxis IS Cheng shin tyre company. They made up the name because the Americans ( fuck yeah ) weren’t buying “ Chinese shit”. Dumb asses.