CHESTNUTXE

transit vans

Hey does anyone no any info on the good ol ford transit van and what crossflows did they come with and autos/man ect,im thinking of doing up a van for my next project,chime on in with any good info,or idea's,eg,dual rear wheels ect.ect,back in the day i no a lot of bedford vans were converted to 308,s,.

the V4 ones are crap... 

the 250 log or  crossflows had a 3 speed floor shift or C4 auto. th

later ones could have disc brakes,  diff ratio is stupid low, 4.6:1  ratio can be changed

the diff is wide, wider than an AU diff, the AU diff with deep dish wheels is a cheap conversion.. 

CRS does/did a falcon disc, HQ caliper conversion .. 

finding one that's rust free will be near impossible, finding parts will be hard.. 

if this guy is still in business, he was pretty much the only guy who wrecked them (Joe) https://www.wordofmouth.com.au/reviews/jb-auto-ford-transit-and-bedford-cf-parts-and-service-dandenong

what other questions do you have?

My Dad had a flat nose Mk1 1970(originally ex Aus Post V4) he ended up with  Leyland V8 in it with a C4 auto and ex USA LTD 9" diff
I had a  1980 Mk2 with 250 crossflow, ended up with T5 and widened XF diff (used 2 long axels) i never finished mine, had to move and get rid of all my crap

3 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i like the mk2  ,cheech and chong van,or A team,those hurricane wheels really suit vans.

if i wanted a rear wheel drive van that didn't chop your legs off in a crash(like my Mazda will)  i'd get a Hyundai iLoad. 

i decided for what i wanted(potential Oz wide tourer) that it needed to blend in when i parked it... old Transits are so rare now they will stand out no matter what you are doing.. they are also fairly wide

i'd consider a newer transit, but maybe with an engine conversion(seen them with V6 commodore engines, and at least one was getting a barra conversion. )

if i wanted a rear wheel drive van that didn't chop your legs off in a crash(like my Mazda will)  i'd get a Hyundai iLoad. 
i decided for what i wanted(potential Oz wide tourer) that it needed to blend in when i parked it... old Transits are so rare now they will stand out no matter what you are doing.. they are also fairly wide
i'd consider a newer transit, but maybe with an engine conversion(seen them with V6 commodore engines, and at least one was getting a barra conversion. )
Our work leases them (I don't work on them) but they seem like a good thing. Fairly predictable Korean quality: cheap and dependable.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Our work leases them (I don't work on them) but they seem like a good thing. Fairly predictable Korean quality: cheap and dependable.

They are a ginormous hunk of shit. You are better off blowing your money on drugs and alcohol. At least you won’t suffer while wasting your money.

Hey does anyone no any info on the good ol ford transit van and what crossflows did they come with and autos/man ect,im thinking of doing up a van for my next project,chime on in with any good info,or idea's,eg,dual rear wheels ect.ect,back in the day i no a lot of bedford vans were converted to 308,s,.
The models up till around 2002 (gen2) were total buckets of crap. No end of troubles with engines, turbos, clutches, gearboxes, diffs, random interior/body faults, just not a nice thing at all.

2000-onwards (gen 3) were improved but not great. Clutches are a nightmare to do (subframe out) and dual-mass flywheels are a mandatory swap when doing the clutch. That's $1200 in parts right there.

Door latches fail, front wheel bearings are a regular thing (needing a specially turned down, extended torx bit of course) and you also need to split the front hubs to change the discs.

The diffs on the RWD versions are the same shitty design they've always been, even on the old ones (i think they have a C8 part number on them). They have a supposedly hardened section of axle at the flanged end that runs directly on roller bearings. The rollers wear out the axle, so when you do an axle bearing, you're doing an axle as well.

They're a C-clip design that has the side load working on a clip and machined groove in the axle end inside the diff centre. If the clip wears out or the axle breaks off at the groove, your axle and wheel will walk themselves out of the diff housing as you're driving down the road.

The backing plate adjustment window on the rear brakes doesn't line up with the adjustment wheel, meaning you can't de-adjust to remove the rear drums if there's a lip. A Ford dealer's answer (before we sorted it ourselves)? Cut the drum off with an oxy.

As far as I know, any transit will have this diff design.

Engines were pretty reliable on the later ones except the diesel pumps used to have an internal haemorrhage. These engines are still in use today in the Ranger in 2.2 and 3.2 (5-pot version).

Even at that, there was a mob in Melbs doing E-series/AU conversions on the later models with gas power. That could have been a good business for Ford to get into: import bodies in CKD kit and assemble locally with a Falcon drivetrain.

wish i kept it sometimes..

pic when i got i.. pained in gloss house paint... wasn't solargaurd .. faded fast
bglfAn9.jpg

Nv19b1F.jpg

bought a parts one(orange) and didn't get the rest done..
I1RRwfs.jpg

edkE12N.jpg

Dad's old one with Leyland v8, and VN hub caps
fri7JPd.jpg

Hyundai iloads like to spit the turbo, after about 100,000km - usually taking the engine with it.
$10k min, for a used engine too. :o

A work colleague had it happen to theirs... 
The internet is littered with similar stories.

It's a pity, as they are comfortable vehicles, by all other reports.

Hyundai iloads like to spit the turbo, after about 100,000km - usually taking the engine with it.
$10k min, for a used engine too.

Totally utterly agree. I can’t tell people strongly enough to avoid buying a icrap. The cost of parts are just astronomical and every time something goes wrong it requires major work. People use these to make their livelyhood, it won’t do that sitting there broken down.

Work has 2 I loads. I wouldn't buy one. Both have had engines under 100,000ks and parts like turbos have cost us a bomb. And frankly one of them has been babied and still the same crap.
We run a fleet of mostly Sprinters and a good 315 or 316 is hard to been. Obviously size is an issue but our Vito's have been good to.
Hiaces are still reliable but then they aren't for touring.

I honestly love my Ex Ambo 315 I take it to Phillip island on weekends and its ridiculous how comfy the captains chairs are and how quick the 4cyl is.

Sent from my 5046I using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2018 at 1:06 AM, SPArKy_Dave said:

$10k min, for a used engine too. :o

yep, heard similar, though never had one. 

$10k min, for a used engine too.

Exactly what happened at work. Boy was that a smokie test drive.

my work van is a deisel turbo auto toyota hi ace,its hard not to smoke it up after a bit of rain,not sure what diff ratio is in it but has massive torque
Yeah we have had a few of those. We had a petrol on hit 700,000ks before getting side swiped. Great little vans.

My Daily. 315 ex ambo. Would make an awesome camper6de630e583d645b6528724a415b849af.jpg

I've ridden in the back of one of these and it was like riding in a billy-cart. Did they have stiffened suspension or something for ambo duties?

I've ridden in the back of one of these and it was like riding in a billy-cart. Did they have stiffened suspension or something for ambo duties?

Yep lifted a lot. Our standard order vans are completely different (more comfy in the back I bet) but the captains chair makes you forget it all. These get all the extras though. Rear separate aircon compressor glove box fridge. And a sporty spoiler hiding the massive fans. The spotties side and rear a good on early mornings