Stumps

Crossflow into Fox body mustang (1980-1982)

I've been reading a lot of yank mustang forums lately and it's got me interested in the little fox mustangs from 1980-1982, the interesting part I have found is that these cars were available with a 3.3 litre inline six that is very close to our old pre crossflow sixes found in Falcons and Cortina's upto 1976.

Surely one of these cars would be an awesome and different candidate for a crossflow conversion, given that the yanks do similar conversions on older mustangs.

My understanding is the cars in question had a 3.3 litre with 66kw's and a C3 3 speed auto in them so a tranny change would be required as the aussie sixes had a different bolt pattern and starter location, but the rest should be fairly easy to achieve and given the low prices of the mustangs ($3K-$5k US) could be done on a reasonable budget.

My thoughts are given that the V8's made a piss poor 120-140hp, that even a stock alloy head crossflow would match this so a worked crossy would be pretty wicked and considerably lighter than the US running gear.

Any thoughts?

It would be something very different from the usual cookie cutter v8 muzzies and the fox bodied cars are pretty rare in Australia, and given that I'm bored with falcon''s and Cortina's, moreso to do with the lack of people willing to do work on these cars around here, at least a mustang would spark peoples interest, and I always liked the look of Dick Johnson's Plamer ford mustang he raced in the ATCC back in the 80's.

Although a Turbo Barra or Orion engine in one would be an absolute weapon....but I love the basic crossy and a lot less work would be needed to fit one.

Absolutely! I think this would make a very interesting car and would stand out from the usual 347 windsor crowd.

I would imagine the performance to be similar to a Cortina as far as power-to-weight goes, but would be light-years ahead in handling and braking, (McPherson strut/multilink) also with a massive range of options to upgrade them.

Have a look at footage of Dick Johnson's green one and watch how well he got that handling. It seems to have just the right amount of rear-end slide dialled into it whenever it's pointed around corners. Apart from it being a bit of a turd for power (Group A rules) it was an excellent race car.

Bit of history: they started fitting the inline into the Fox Mustang in the early 80s as the German Cologne V6 was reaching production capacity and was probably getting pretty expensive to import. As the larger Fairmont was also a Fox chassis, and was already being offered with the inline, it was a no-brainer to shove that in the base Mustang.

Your options wouldn't need to stop at a stout crossy. It would be just as easy and cheap to fit an E-series or AU motor with the bonus of them being more plentiful these days. Barra too, but might be a tad tight.

4-eyed Foxes rule!

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

sounds interesting, no one will want to work on it still.. learn how to do that yourself(i wouldn't want some noob mechanic charging $100hr to google whatever issue or setting isn't in the falcadore magnatron book of settings. ) 

if a crossflow bolts in, i'd be happy with that, because it would look correct but wrong at the same time (go an efi one on aftermarket or e series ecu perhaps)

sounds interesting, greens tuff paint job to get peoples attention, inline 6 so they don't want to steal it

I've already got a good rebuildable crossflow in my flog about 86 XF falcon and I had thought of fixing up the XF , as it only has 102 thousand kays on the clock and is pretty straight and tidy expect for some bad rust and a dodgy bog job in the rear passenger quarter panel, but after the difficulty I had in getting someone to do the suspension in it in august last year and the complete lack of interest in anyone wanting to do any panel/paint work, I'm thinking of parting it out when it runs out of rego in August.

I do look at it sometimes and think hmmm a decent paint job and 50 more killerwasps and that car would be pretty cool, but then I see the boring front end and think why bother spending $25k or $30k on an XF that no one wants to work on when I can at least spark some interest doing a rarer car.

XE front and taill lights can fit an XF pretty easy.. low km new suspension, rising values of even boring XFs lately would have me keeping it (paint and rust can be fixed..ring a local panel beating tafe and see if they will take it on as a project.. used to be one My brothers mate had 3 or 4 cars repaired with, the panel beaters charged ONE SLAB(beer) to prep it.. and 2 pack oven baked paint was $1000(about 20yrs ago)  prices might be 4times that now, but they came out as new..

no one will want to work on the mustang either.. same reasons.. too hard, too obscure, can't get parts.. you'll get the same answers i bet 

I've been talking to a few friends about this who think that a crossflow is a stupid idea, their logic is if i'm going to the trouble of importing a car I might as well go the whole hog and fit a barra/orion or a ls1, and I get that but when I look at the idea, the simple fact that a crossy is almost a bolt in fit compared to the changes required to fit the later engines makes the crossflow conversion appealing...the simple ease of the whole thing and then just bolt in some US aftermarket goodies for the suspension etc and wham...a different kind of street car for our local roads...

A wise man once said...

"Your car, your dollar, do whatever you damn well please"

Forget his name.... Merlin I think, or something like that....

If you can make it happen and it puts a smile on your dial, then I see no better reason to go ahead and do it. The rest are just sheep....

Been watching some of the old ATCC footage from the mid 80's and i must say Dick's mustang certainly handled well, shame it was down on power compared to the previous falcons he raced. But it did get me thinking that it wouldn't be a huge ask to get 340-350hp from a crossflow which would match the power outputs of the Palmer ford mustangs.

Would be pretty cool i think, and looking at what i am planning on spending ,absolutely no more than $45k but would like to sit around $25k-$35k but i am realistic and know budgets always get blown away, it should be doable once i find the right stang.

Maybe a trip to the US might be on the cards.

Just gotta decide do i want a 3 door coupe or a 2 door notch back.

So many things to figure out, my head hurts.....

Iv always liked the Fox body Mustang, easy to get going quick.
People will probably laugh but I’ve been watching a fair bit of Fox bodies on YouTube that have been fitted with the 2.3 ecoboost. The ecoboost mustang is a huge hit in the US with tuning and aftermarket parts, 500rwhp on a stock motor with a slight turbo upgrade, tube, exhaust and intercooler.

Not everyone’s cup of tea being a boosted 4 in a traditional V8 market. But fast is fast.

If you want a crossy in a Mustang, build and have fun, it’s your money and your smile at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gerg said:

A 350hp crossy will cost a lot more than a 350hp windsor, so at that level it really isn't a budget option. Boost is your answer

I was thinking a blow thru carb turbo setup or something based on a mike vine turbo kit.

Or living the dream and selling some of my kids and going triple DCOE webers or go a bit crazy and do what some of the six pack guys in the US do with their muzzies and go ford tri power style.

Would need to get a log style manifold made up and i'd use 3 34mm ICH webers but i dont think that setup would make 350hp as the carbs only make a smidge over 400cfm, and then it would be real fun to keep in tune, but it would be chubby inducing to look at.

Like i said, i got ideas everywhere constantly filling my thoughts and just got to sift through them to something that resembles are realistic build so im happy to hear everyones ideas.

2 hours ago, bear351c said:

Essex V6 from a Seventies Capri...?   Sierra Cosworth....??   2 litre Pinto from a TD Corty with a hairdryer...??

For me it'd have to be a crossflow for the simple fact it'd practically be a bolt in fit with minimal modifactions to the car. Its the ease of it that makes it so appealing and why haven't people here in Australia done this yet.

18 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

Thinking along similar lines, I've seen fast mustangs put together in the states with the big 300ci straight six from effies. Not suggesting any cheaper though

I've always wondered about the big 240-300 cubed sixes the yanks play with, seem like big boat anchors in stock form but the americans seem to get big power from them.

I've always wondered about the big 240-300 cubed sixes the yanks play with, seem like big boat anchors in stock form but the americans seem to get big power from them.
Those engines are built for low-end torque, not power. They weigh about the same as a Windsor but have about half the power potential. The heads are wheezy and are difficult to get flowing without major surgery. They were rated at 122hp (net) with a single-barrel.

Some have resorted to slicing up LS heads and bolting them on, others 4V Clevo (the bolt holes are close apparently, but not the bores)

Intake manifolds are available but pricey. Same goes for headers.

Then even when you get it breathing, the bottom-end will have to spin hard, which on a 4" stroke truck engine is a challenge without aftermarket bits.

They are long and tall, which would give trouble squeezing into a Fox chassis.

They're stupid reliable, mostly because they had torque so didn't need to work hard. They also didn't make enough power to wear out.

Yeah trying to make the mustang lighter not heavier, those big sixes are an interesting engine but limited in what you could actually use them for, not really my cup of tea.

The US 3.3L inline six takes a rear sump oil pan to fit in the Fox bodied Mustangs.  A Cortina pan should work.

Unless your good at modding, the EA-AU and Barra engines won't fit with their front sump pans. That and the cam covers may have hood clearance issues.

Keep in mind the US 3.3L has a 7.808" deck height, the Crossflow's deck height is 9.38".  Hood clearance could be tight.  May be able to lower the Crossflow for clearance.

Go for it.