Server maintenance Read more... ×
GRIFF

347 efi build

I’m thinking about getting a ford boss block and starting a stoker efi build for around 450hp. Not sure as to what parts I would be using at this point, but before all that, would I be able to pass emissions? I am planning on putting it in my 1985 carbi 6cyl xf, would I be able to get it engineered? I’m reading up on all the laws at the moment but if anyone knows or has done this and would like to give me a quick work that would be great! Also I have an 94 fairlane 302 that I just picked up, dont know if that will help in any way but it was cheap haha.

no idea what a boss block is.. 
but, you'd be able to rego the 94 fairlane engine in an XF providing you did everything the engineer wanted ..

these would be i guess..
rear disc brakes, 
cat in the exhaust(might be able to use the NC fairlane exhaust with some mods)
you'd need to use the full emissions of the fairlane, so ecu, maf sensor etc. 

once rego'd you could mod it, but it wouldn't be legal anymore probably.. you could ask the engineer what can be done to make it legal(with enough money, anything is possible)

some things needed to fit it..
EB sedan tailshaft and hand brake cable, XF bushes in the front half of the NC lower control arms(or NC bushes in rear of XF arms)

and a metric brake hose adapter 

10 minutes ago, GRIFF said:

I’ve got an EB tailshaft in the shed so thats a start. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you end up fitting it .. swap the speedo gear off the senders(or swap sender unit as they will be same type) (XE XD are different pulse rate)

V8 engine mount adaptors XA-XE and early mounts to suit should bolt right up to the block.

Not sure of sump compatibility. Maybe an early mustang/falcon/fairlane windsor will do.

As the coolant inlet/outlet on the engine both sit opposite to the XF's, might have to stuff around fitting the E-series radiator and header tank. Conversely, you could change the engine coolant inlet/outlet but the correct serpentine (reverse) water pump with the inlet on the left side might not exist, also the thermostat housing would need to be swapped for the earlier falcon one.

Radiator and header tank is easier me thinks. Easy electric fan conversion too.

Heater hose nipples on the firewall can get in the way on a Clevo swap, dunno about Windsors.

I'd go twin 6-cyl cats, 2-1/4" duals to the diff into flowmaster 44s then single 3" out the back, but that's just me.

As Dean says, engineer will want to see rear discs (these and LSD were mandatory on XD-E V8s). Master cylinder will work with no mods.

Handbrake cable might give some headaches depending on the differences between XF and ED caliper mounting positions.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

EB handbrake cable is a direct fit on XE and XF with EB diff.  sedan for sedan and wagon for wagon and ute/van. 

pretty sure i've seen V8 XDs with drums on rear, but the engineer i spoke to years ago wanted them..  

EB handbrake cable is a direct fit on XE and XF with EB diff.  sedan for sedan and wagon for wagon and ute/van. 

pretty sure i've seen V8 XDs with drums on rear, but the engineer i spoke to years ago wanted them..  

Discs were standard on Fairmont Ghia and optional on all others. But in the fine print on the brochure, it says:

XD 4.9s weren't mandatory but 5.8s were.

XEs were a mandatory LSD/disc on both V8s.

Interestingly, you couldn't order an XE 5.8 wagon.

I digress. We were both right.

Handy to know that about the cable.

From XE brochure:

4932c0c8a54cb4cfebb12d2f8ab2f842.jpg

From XD brochure:

2ba7bc05e970f703780e1a69e7e1342e.jpg

wonder what there thinking was?
need a v8 for towing.. need to be able to stop... 
going fast in a v8.. need to be able to stop...
can afford a v8.. can afford to upgrade brakes = more money for ford

wonder what there thinking was?
need a v8 for towing.. need to be able to stop... 
going fast in a v8.. need to be able to stop...
can afford a v8.. can afford to upgrade brakes = more money for ford

I can see a few reasons why. Most manufacturers like to try and recover development costs for all the goodies that premium models have as standard equipment (like LSD and sports gauges, etc) by flogging them on lesser models as "equipment packs". Take the GS Falcons. They had a lot of GT bits (dash, bonnet, floor shift) but were otherwise nothing more than a taxi with stripes. Making more of a limited production component cuts the cost per unit.

Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane and LTD were very profitable models for Ford. On the lesser Falcons, having the V8 option lumped with expensive items would have stopped people from building up povo pack V8s and stealing sales from the premium models.

Also the police package would have included disc brakes as a given, as they were the safest option available. As the police force was the biggest customer of V8s, it would simplify production to just fit all of them with the same drivetrain, including cars destined for the general public.

Lastly, the V8 engine was becoming rarer and production was winding down. This made the V8 sought after by certain customers. They want it, Ford has it, so they'll pay.

15 hours ago, GRIFF said:

I’m thinking about getting a ford boss block and starting a stoker efi build for around 450hp. Not sure as to what parts I would be using at this point, but before all that, would I be able to pass emissions? I am planning on putting it in my 1985 carbi 6cyl xf, would I be able to get it engineered? I’m reading up on all the laws at the moment but if anyone knows or has done this and would like to give me a quick work that would be great! Also I have an 94 fairlane 302 that I just picked up, dont know if that will help in any way but it was cheap haha.

What is this Boss block you speak of..??   

Oooooooh    yeah.   Very tasty.

I dont know how I would get it to pass emissions so the build is up in the air at the moment I’ll have to speak to a tuner

Have seen a Windsor 302 in an XD, with virtually no mods done. Just ancillary stuff, as already stated.......pulleys, radiator hoses etc etc..

Early Windors had 2 types of water pump outlet, one pointed to the drivers side, the other pointed to the passenger side. Not sure you can still get them though.

Probably easier to get it rego'd with a stock 5 litre Windsor out of an ED, and then accidentally install the other engine one day.
Does the new block come with engine numbers..?? :rolleyes:

I dont think it comes with numbers, I know someone who had taken numbers off their stock and transferred them as you’re suggesting and its worked well for them haha.

In the past, when you came across an engine that had been a recovered stolen unit with its numbers ground off, the police used to give you their own generated number. Perhaps there is a similar scheme for replacement blocks, which is effectively what you're doing when fitting one of these. You just have to make sure that the emissions gear that's fitted is appropriate for the year model when certifying. Otherwise, how would anyone be able to register a car with a Dart block, etc?

I think having 2 motors would be the go haha. One for crushing holdens and one for emission testing, or if I get defected for no pollution gear or what not you can just swap it back in to clear it. But in saying that it sounds like a massive hassle.

Interesting post. The Hyslop BF that runs in IPRA uses a standard windsor block of some sort as I'm pretty sure the IPRA guys have to use a factory not motorsport block. He's making big HP so I wonder how he doesnt "explode" blocks? 

Ray Hislopâs Ford BF Falcon Improved Production Car

Link to the article here; https://autoaction.com.au/2017/05/15/skin-ray-hislops-improved-production-falcon