car10001

Ed front to ef (really need your help)

20 posts in this topic

Hi 

is there a way the ed bonnet bumper and headlamps can be made to fit with some brackets instead or changing radiator support.

Will doing that with brackets made instead of replacing radiator support get a defect if all secure and all lights works 

May be thinking of swapping ef to ed front and wondered if all ed lights could be made to fit the ef with some homemade brackets and made to look like it came with it without swapping radiator support.

Will homemade brackets get a defect if all lights and stuff are secure and all lights are working.

And will changing to ed radiator support affect airbag sensor if you make a bracket for it

Thanks

its probably illegal and needing engineers report as you've changed the way it handles a crash and air bag stuff

what's wrong with the EF Front

if your car only has a drivers airbag how much difference does it make not having it if you didnt have room for a ed and a ef, only one or other and you decided to sell your ef and go back to the ed and get a really good ed fairmont and remove the multibelt and fit the ef/el/xh single belt system.

if it came to that would you be better off selling the ef and going back to the ed, is only having a drivers airbag going to make enough difference to go back to the ed model.

because most efs only have a drivers airbag will it matter if you dont have it if you decided to sell it and go back to the ed, does it make enough difference to be worth keeping it and fitting as much of the ed stuff as possible.

very safe if you don't crash.

the Multi belt set up is fine, ford used it for years. fit 3 new belts and adjust it in a week or so and it's good for years..

a good ED is better than a broken EF.. same the other way round, a good prius is better than a broken falcon any day also.. 

user272 and Valvebouncer like this

was planning anyway to get the ed converted to the single belt for bigger alternator output for electric fans and other stuff, 

if it comes to that would you be better off selling the ef and not fitting the struts and power steering pump you just bought to fit to it and saving them for the ed.

if you dont have a drivers airbag is it going to matter if you loose that just to go back to ed and get the single belt conversion done (using mostly new parts inc radiator as you need a ef/el radiator for it to be good for years) and sports exhaust and extractors that you want and get a few other jobs done for it to be good for years 

for the door ajar you should be able to just put some led lights somewhere (1 for each door and 1 for fuel flap and one for the boot) and label it so you can keep the ed sports dash.

if you use a xh belt tensioner it shouldnt be hard to convert to single belt and keeping the ed manifold. and it shouldnt be hard to convert to thermo fans and you can buy those h4/h3 headlight booster harnesses so you just use the factory wiring to switch on the new relays.

got to talk to the uncle thats got a ed fairmont parts car and see if he will store yours and then work from there

not sure why you want to change it so much, my interior light comes on when a door is ajar look in the mirrors and you can see which one isn't shut properly(usually the drivers one because i never use the other doors)

EDs(and EA,EB) had awesome headlights, use standard 60/55 globes and they will be perfect

K.I.S.S.  (KEEP IT SIMPLE = STOCK ) there's another meaning for KISS but i like it stock...

user272 and stockesp like this

have to see if a uncle will store the ed but if it comes to that would you be better selling your ef and getting a decent ed fairmont and doing a few jobs on it to get it how you want

13 minutes ago, car10001 said:

have to see if a uncle will store the ed but if it comes to that would you be better selling your ef and getting a decent ed fairmont and doing a few jobs on it to get it how you want

i would get the car i wanted.. as long as i could afford it..  

i've had cars i bought cheap(a ZJ fairlane) that i didn't like(because it was a fairlane) and it was in better condition than most of my other cars but i didn't like it..

better off getting the car you want and fixing it properly. 

EDs are getting rarer now, so you might have trouble finding a good one, they are almost 25yrs old.

user272 likes this

will it matter if you loose the drivers airbag, some people drive a classic daily
It's illegal to remove an airbag if it was standard fitment (ie not an option).

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

user272 likes this

would it matter if you sold the ef and bought a ed which would mean you no longer have airbag matter since ea to ed don’t have airbags and ef/el have drivers airbag standard and passenger as option,

Selling the ef and buying a ed would mean you loose airbags 

3 hours ago, car10001 said:

would it matter if you sold the ef and bought a ed which would mean you no longer have airbag matter since ea to ed don’t have airbags and ef/el have drivers airbag standard and passenger as option,

ED isn't as safe in a crash.. some don't have ABS either. 
if you want to be safer in a crash, maybe get a car with side impact protection also and other features that matter.
most people that drive classic cars and older ones are prepared to take the risk

none of My cars have air bags or ABS... but in a crash, you may be injured. (my cousin had his face smashed in by his sports steering wheel when he fell asleep at the wheel and hit a tree in a torana.. 

It would matter if you want to smash into things.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Not really sure what’s happening yet as there’s only room for one car and it has to be one or the other and like the e series model (ed & ef)

how much of the ed stuff will fit the ef without affecting the airbag system

have thought of the following.

side mirrors 

door trims

seats (possibly may be able to be made to fit)

headlamps (will fitting them with brackets made to adapt them to bolt on the ef radiator support affect the airbag sensor if you don’t touch the actual sensor)

guards would fit and line up as would bonnet (would the catch work on ed bonnet or could it be adapted without affecting the airbag sensor)

again have to ask the uncle if he’s got room to store a car and work from there

theres blanking tabs where one of the screws on the ed mirror goes, you just break that off and they should go on and also looks like the door trims will fit as theres a spot in the ef door where the electric window switch goes.

also 90% of the seats should be easy to fit. what else from the ed will fit the ef