Server maintenance Read more... ×
Fordcrazy

Block Prep

Hi Guys

What prep work do I need to do to a XR6 tickford block is there oil port that I need to reduce or blanked off prior to turbo it and what size turbo would be efficient for the

4.0L 

Most likely it’s out of an ef falcon so it should have a coil pack and crank trigger and sensor above the balancer. If it has a distributor it’s an early el falcon.

When looking at the front of the engine, the intake will be on the right side and below that around cylinder no3 there should be your oil pressure switch. Just run a t piece out of that to feed the turbo. For the drain you can run it straight into the side of the sump.

3 minutes ago, Valvebouncer said:

Most likely it’s out of an ef falcon so it should have a coil pack and crank trigger and sensor above the balancer. If it has a distributor it’s an early el falcon.

When looking at the front of the engine, the intake will be on the right side and below that around cylinder no3 there should be your oil pressure switch. Just run a t piece out of that to feed the turbo. For the drain you can run it straight into the side of the sump.

So I run the turbo on the standard engine what size turbo must I use and to what boost can I go to

A Garrett GT3582R from a BA-BF or GT3576R from an FG XR6T will be perfect. They're internal wastegate so they're more simple for fabrication and compact than for an external gate. Apart from that there's many turbo's that will do the job but they're already sized perfectly for a 4L so you won't go wrong. 

There was a white EA falcon out of Mike's Dyno in Melbourne about 10 years back that ran consistent low 10's and even a high 9 at some stage, with a stock EF bottom end with an XR6 GT3582R on a log manifold. I'd at least get an AU Falcon OEM steel head gasket and some fresh head bolts and some decent valve springs. It should last a while at least with a good tune. 

1 hour ago, Fordcrazy said:

Who do I contact regarding the valve springs and gasket 

http://www.tuffcarparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=180_65_81&product_id=1281

That's valve springs.

Genuine AU head gasket, call your local Ford dealer. If not go a permaseal MLS gasket from TI Performance 

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/products/permaseal-au-falcon-mls-head-gasket/

If you are going to do this properly buy a permaseal mlsr head gasket. The mlsr gasket is designed for turbo or nitrous applications. I’d go head studs rather than bolts too but if you are going bolts don’t cheap out.

Yeah atomic do head stud kits for the sohc 4L. At almost $500 for studs though, you're almost reaching a point where you just get an FG Barra or stretch to a Turbo Barra.