Server maintenance Read more... ×
Defective

Stored crossy

The cross flow I’m putting in my pano has been sitting idle for a while so I’m think ing of dropping some oil down the bores just to make sure everything is staying nice and loose.

What’s best to use?

I’ve heard diesel and light machine oil can be used.a20590f5d19b6bd76e6f36e3c47e0977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like CRC 5.56 as it has oil in it to coat everything. Lanotec is good in harsh environments due to it forming a protective crust, is more like a wax but dissolves easily when needed.

WD40 is pretty much useless, evaporates away to nothing.

All said, engine oil is pretty foolproof.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

When I shut down my race engine, like it is at the moment, I put heaps in.  To the point that when you wind it over and it comes to tdc it comes out the plug hole. Of course you MUST put a notation on the engine that you have done this so that when it comes to firing it, you remove the plugs first and wind her over to get rid of all the excess oil. 

You might not want to go to that extent so just strike a happy medium 

If your near Ipswich I'll pop by and do it on Saturday. Gotta do the fire up of a customer engine down there on Saturday. 

Thanks for the offer man but I just did it myself. Only used about 100mls of oil over all six but it’s turning over with a ratchet on the pulley easy enough.

On 13/02/2018 at 1:01 PM, bear351c said:

Yep, as above.  Sticker on the rocker cover to remind you.  5 squirts from an oil can down each bore, plugs out wind her over with the key 2 0r 3 revolutions.

and as Greg said, WD40 is porous. 

Poor as piss  bah ha ha ha ha

Was told years ago wd40 wasnt designed as a lubricant it's a water dispersant first and foremost.

Water Dispersant 40th recipe. Or some such crap lol

On 11/02/2018 at 5:18 PM, Defective said:

The cross flow I’m putting in my pano has been sitting idle for a while so I’m think ing of dropping some oil down the bores just to make sure everything is staying nice and loose.

What’s best to use?

I’ve heard diesel and light machine oil can be used.a20590f5d19b6bd76e6f36e3c47e0977.jpg

I use machine oil, never fails!

I squirt it down the bores, dump a lot in the pan as well, take the rocker cover off and coat everything in there with machine oil, take oil filter off and coat all the crap in there and take dizzy out and squirt some in there as well. I have an engine that it's been apart for about 18 months now and not event the slightest sign of rust and it's not even packaged up or anything, just bare block and crank, pistons etc. all coated in machine oil and it's all good

The pic was taken on Moss St ?

6 hours ago, broken-wheel said:

I use machine oil, never fails!

I squirt it down the bores, dump a lot in the pan as well, take the rocker cover off and coat everything in there with machine oil, take oil filter off and coat all the crap in there and take dizzy out and squirt some in there as well. I have an engine that it's been apart for about 18 months now and not event the slightest sign of rust and it's not even packaged up or anything, just bare block and crank, pistons etc. all coated in machine oil and it's all good

The pic was taken on Moss St ?

Yep, moss st, obviously before autobahn became Napa.