deankdx

RED BACK SPIDERS(pics of where they hide on your car and how to find them)

28 posts in this topic

WARNING, SPIDER PICS BELOW....

i'm giving some advise on how to check your car/shed/garden for redbacks.. Ants has been bitten by one(hospital needed) and i come across them so often i am always looking out for the bastard things..

places they like to live in.. 
UNDER YOUR CAR, especially near the wheels, wheel arches, areas where leaves gather.... plenums etc, behind headlights.. yeah..check where you are putting your hands.

PLANT POTS! fuckers love plant pots, especially under handles.. they don't say where gloves when gardening for nothing..

UNDER STEPS/STAIRS. .especially if leaves etc under there.

UNDER FRIDGES.. even had one under the kitchen fridge... barefoot near the fridge problems...

best way to find them.. out at night, with a good torch.. there's a car we walk past on some night walks that has AT LEAST 10 redbacks around the bumpers and sills.. 

under the car they seem to have several straight down web strings, the gemini pic shows a lot of webs running from the control arm to the ground, smallish spider in pic.. 

I BURN THEM WITH A BLOW TORCH... reason, because daddy long legs spiders almost immediately take their spot and you don't see another redback in the area for months(daddy long legs eat redbacks and white tail spiders) 

71UNgkq.jpg

XZTEO4q.jpg

o65RFfN.jpg

L1gsZBa.jpg

ghvTFFb.jpg

ZWLIT4h.jpg

UqBfVZx.jpg

EeSr2SH.jpg

bear351c likes this

Yeah, nasty buggers.  Get lots here in SA, usually give themselves away by the 5 or 6 single strands of web. Every year or so, i let off a spider 'bomb' in the shed with all the doors shut, usually find 4 or 5 the next day. 

Outback Jack likes this

some of the redbacks survived pressure washing and spider bombing on the XG ute i had, they were inside the front coil spring area, and behind the innder guard plastic .. and the plenumn. 

Great write up!
Also be careful while killing redbacks!
I needed to kill one while preparing the outdoor area for my mothers 60th, i was silly enough to squish one on top of the dining setting table and not clean up the mess properly which resulted in me transferring the poison from the table to my mouth. Within minutes i was in a pretty bad state and taken to emergency, and taken to Ballarat by ambulance.

If you squish the bastards, take a bit of care to clean up the juice!!

Side note: I was blue around the mouth, but otherwise i looked sunburnt all over my body, first sign of trouble was difficulties breathing - struggling for air/rapid heartbeat.
If you have any of these symptoms get up the hospital ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

gregaust, bear351c and deankdx like this

We keep em as pets here...lol.
Anywhere you can put ya hand out of sight is snake or spider territory.
Also look out for redbacks in different colours... they come in speckled light brown as well... not always black with a red dot.

Jack

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Don't know if its true or not but I read/heard somewhere that the different appearance in colour etc was because some have started interbreeding with daddy longlegs. Work on cars and assume there's redbacks and huntsman's and anything else that crawls.

6 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

We keep em as pets here...lol.
Anywhere you can put ya hand out of sight is snake or spider territory.
Also look out for redbacks in different colours... they come in speckled light brown as well... not always black with a red dot.

Jack

i thought the spotted ones were the male version.. not as deadly but always seen the female in the same area..

5 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

Don't know if its true or not but I read/heard somewhere that the different appearance in colour etc was because some have started interbreeding with daddy longlegs. Work on cars and assume there's redbacks and huntsman's and anything else that crawls.

i thought that, but google common house spider, and you get the longer leg looking bulbous back ones.. i don't think these are in the same family

The spiders i hate, and we seem to have a lot of them, are those white tip bastards and their mates that look like them with out the tips. The fuckers hide in the dark and them jump on you when you walk past.

yeah, been bitten at least twice by white tails.. 

one in bed, in the middle of my back, was over 10yrs ago and that spot still gets ichy from time to time.. its like a big black head where it bit me.. 
other time was in the sleeve of a jumper and got bitten on My arm, pretty painful bite

A place we rented in korumburra had white tails real bad, fkn everywhere ..we caught one in a jar to show the exterminator, said he'd never seen one that big before...lucky us.

That place is a nice little valley, just perfect for filling up and paving over.

Outback Jack and deankdx like this

When I bought my place... was vacant a couple years.
Started the fire in lounge up and out crawled THE biggest breeder of a whitetail. ..at least 7-8cm body.
I couldnt believe it at first.
Then I hit it with a thong... .

2redrovers and deankdx like this

I remember quite a few years ago when I was selling the old man's '99 Mitsubishi Express van (he'd passed away about a month before) and it had been parked in his garage for three months prior. I'd taken it back out on the road to get it going again, and it was in the afternoon one day with a friend in the passenger seat when a big, fuck-off huntsman crawled out from the passenger sun-flap and onto that half of the windscreen, easily one-and-a-half times the size of my outstretched hand. I was turning into a busy road at the time, and my peripheral vision had suddenly noted a rather large black spot on the windscreen, but my friend - an admitted arachnophobe - has never moved that quickly before: in an instant after his yell, he had unclicked his seat-belt and squeezed into the cargo bay of the van - all within a single second, seriously - as the spider descended. I was able to pull over quickly afterwards, and the spider had leapt from the windscreen onto the passenger seat where my friend had been sitting. You can't just squash something that big without leaving an awful mess, so I was able to open the passenger door and brush it out with some folded-up paper onto the footpath. My friend insisted on sitting in the cargo bay - which isn't exactly legal, as he was unrestrained - but I couldn't blame him: it was an impressive little fucker, that one.

Don't get me wrong, if I see a red-back or white-tail, it dies immediately. But I grew up as the only male in a single-mother household, which meant among the usual man-chores - like mowing the lawn, taking out the rubbish, heavy-lifting, etc - I was also the family exterminator, so I got to know my creepy-crawlies very quickly. I try not to kill any spider unless it's either venomous or endangering people around, and I actually rather like spiders as excellent pest controllers (ever have an ant or bug problem in the kitchen? If a spider gets in, it's no longer a problem). I trap spiders and then move them on whenever I can (so long as it's away from the sight of those screaming about it), and I've never yet been bitten, but probably because I treat them with absolute respect, even when I'm about to reduce them to a gooey smear on the bathroom tiles.

deankdx likes this

when i was taking the gemini wagon to the RWC place, i had to do a quick lane change and turn off causing some rage from the tailgating idiot behind(no rego, no insurance on My car, permit)  because a big huntsman came from the cargo area to the rear vision mirror along the roof lining.. over My head as i wound the window down while pulling over for the fucker to go outside.. as soon as it was out, i quickly wound the window back up.. didn't see it ever again, so no idea if it just hid and relocated to the rwc joint or if it jumped to the next available car going past to stress someone else out..

i like daddy long legs spiders, they keep the white tails under control for sure.. seen them wrapping them up before.. 

I like daddy longlegs too, seem less effective these days though. I noticed when I was younger that if you saw them, then it was very unlikely to be red backs in the same spot. They were competition and longlegs usually won. Doesn't seem to be the case now...maybe the reds got more aggressive as we keep killing the dumb ones.

Usually their bum is longer than their body. If you get up close, they have 2 long 'feelers' or 'fangs' and of course the white tip on the tail.

Got heaps of them down here in SA, basically a house spider..!  They aren't as lethal as people think.  

2redrovers likes this

Usually their bum is longer than their body. If you get up close, they have 2 long 'feelers' or 'fangs' and of course the white tip on the tail.
Got heaps of them down here in SA, basically a house spider..!  They aren't as lethal as people think.  

15635595166857694f9579153c89f0f8.jpg
It looks like one but also looked a bit different in colour to what I thought was normal ...may have just been covered in dust.

Personally prefer a web spider over a crawler. Webs make them visible and predictable, these things like huntsmen just roam around trying to bite stuff. Not that I like any spider but will ignore their existence in a web if they aren't in the way.
bear351c likes this