Mr Polson

Polson's Prelude Project

54 posts in this topic

But the MX6 was all about torque, whereas Hondas have to zing to 20,000,000 rpm to reach the power band

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Yeah there's 80nM in favour of the MX6.

The B20A6 (Prelude motor code) puts out its max torque (175nM) at 4,500rpm, quite high revs compared to our big sixes, but fairly low for a little 4 banger. Especially one that happily revs to 7,500rpm.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mattie.p likes this

Honda’s are very torquey motors for their capacity, a bit to do with long stroke cranks and good conrod length/ piston pin height.
They also spin backwards ( this era anyways)

Honda’s are very torquey motors for their capacity, a bit to do with long stroke cranks and good conrod length/ piston pin height.
Maybe you're talking later models. The mrs used to have a Civic with the D-motor. I used to stall that fucking thing all the time, had nothing down low but went ok if you RPM'd the fuck out of it also just looked up the specs, max torque at 4800 rpm lol. She later had a KE Laser with the carby 1.6 donk. That thing had beautiful mid-range torque, was so much more fun to drive.

18 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

I had a mate who had one, wasn't a bad car. Terrible torque steer under boost though.

Fun fact - the 2.2L Turbo MX-6 put out 108kW.
The equivalent 2.0L N/A Prelude of the time put out 106kW.

My mate also had one just with a 3" exhaust and a boost controller, went hard for what it was. Like you say though the torque steer was horrendous. The MX6 Turbo had a really nice interior. The overall quality of Jap cars compared to local cars back then was amazing. The interior plastics and materials just feel better in general and are far more durable. My old MK3 Supra's interior was still in good nick (after a good clean) even though it belonged to people who didn't look after it. It might end up being cheaper doing an engine transplant from a later model Honda than rebuilding the B20A by the time you pay for machining etc. There's quite a few options to choose from

gerg likes this

Maybe you're talking later models. The mrs used to have a Civic with the D-motor. I used to stall that fucking thing all the time, had nothing down low but went ok if you RPM'd the fuck out of it also just looked up the specs, max torque at 4800 rpm lol. She later had a KE Laser with the carby 1.6 donk. That thing had beautiful mid-range torque, was so much more fun to drive.

Nup. I had a couple of integras ranging from 1989 -1991. One in particular with minor mods used to keep up with gen III powered commodores.

Nup. I had a couple of integras ranging from 1989 -1991. One in particular with minor mods used to keep up with gen III powered commodores.
Honda definitely always had their atmo shit sorted, maybe not so much on their lesser SOHC models

Yeah, the engine range in civics can be quite diverse. From a wheezy sohc carby 1.3 model to a dohc 16 valve vtec injected 1.6 model. That’s in the early 1990’s models I think they lost their way a bit after that and became the new pensioners car until recently with the release of their new turbo civic range.

gerg likes this

My missus 1992 EG civic with 1.5 efi auto goes well until you turn the air con on. it's a nice car, getting old now though.. 

i'd like one of these jap sports cars as a daily... even the TX5 telstar but they are so thin on the ground i've been burned by similar in the past waiting for parts 

My old Concerto was like that - torquey for a 1.6L.
I know about the anti-clockwise rotation, I remember my very first auto lesson in college, the teach said all engines spin clockwise - I argued the point straight away and said my car doesn't.
He asked what type of car, I said Honda, then he goes okay almost all engine spin clockwise.

My old Concerto was a D16Z2 (unique to that model), went well. Need revs to be happy, but was a much better car to drive than any KF laser I've driven, and I've driven the 1.6 carb and the 1.8 injection.
Civic motors did have a fair bit of difference to the Concerto I believe though.

Valvebouncer likes this

My old Concerto was a D16Z2 (unique to that model), went well. Need revs to be happy, but was a much better car to drive than any KF laser I've driven, and I've driven the 1.6 carb and the 1.8 injection.
Civic motors did have a fair bit of difference to the Concerto I believe though.

Yeah the Mazda B6 8-valve (KE Laser) was a torquier engine than the B6 16-valve (KF).

Funny how at the time, both Mazda and Honda each made a SOHC 16-valve engine.

Yeah the Mazda B6 8-valve (KE Laser) was a torquier engine than the B6 16-valve (KF).

Funny how at the time, both Mazda and Honda each made a SOHC 16-valve engine.

The Ford/Mazda SOHC 16V is quite interesting under the rocker cover - it's got individual lobes and rockers for each intake valve but one lobe for two exhaust valves - the exhaust rocker arms are a ' Y ' shape. Can't say I'd seen that until I took the rocker cover off the SOHC 1.8 Laser we had for a while.

Honda just had all individual rocker arms/lobes - very tightly squeezed in - and tappets rather than hydraulic lifters. At least Honda give you cold tappet clearances as opposed to hot like older Mazda motors I've seen.

gerg likes this

I can't remember if the Mazda B had hyd or mech tappets but the G6 in my Courier has hyd lifters on rockers, with that goofy 12-valve head similar to the F2 (626/Telstar) donk. Twin inlet rockers but single exhaust. The G6 is closely related to the F motor.

One thing I've noticed about jap engines is that even with mechanical valvetrains, they rarely need adjusting. I think they've got the metallurgy so well sorted that valve seat and cam/follower wear are fairly well matched so as to cancel each other out. I work on Isuzu diesels and they're an OHC mechanical setup. We have one that's done 460,000 km and despite the recommended 60,000 interval, it's always been spot-on when checked, like the rest of them.

Honda’s will need their tappers adjusted every 40,000km there will be need for adjustment too. They work loose no matter how tight you do the locking but up. The harder you rev them the quicker they come loose or actually just back off a bit, not really come loose.
You can adjust the Honda tappers hot, just take 1 thou off the cold specs.

FYI polson, the engine in that prelude you have will have forged pistons from factory. If you listen closely on a cold start up you can hear a really slight rattle/swish sound from the skirts. Now hurry up and bolt a b16a vtec head on it!!

gerg likes this

Honda’s will need their tappers adjusted every 40,000km there will be need for adjustment too. They work loose no matter how tight you do the locking but up. The harder you rev them the quicker they come loose or actually just back off a bit, not really come loose.
You can adjust the Honda tappers hot, just take 1 thou off the cold specs.

FYI polson, the engine in that prelude you have will have forged pistons from factory. If you listen closely on a cold start up you can hear a really slight rattle/swish sound from the skirts. Now hurry up and bolt a b16a vtec head on it!!

Bloody auto correct!
Tappers=tappets

i could use that engine pipe i think, looks almost the right shape for the gemini twin outlet manifold i am considering using.(off to jollys website see if any in local wreckers )

nice weather for a few months, is that the sudden motivation?

On 7 March 2018 at 2:39 AM, gerg said:

But the MX6 was all about torque, whereas Hondas have to zing to 20,000,000 rpm to reach the power band

VTEC just kicked in Yo

15 hours ago, Lord_fahrquhar said:

Love this era of Hondas.  They were on thier game, then went and chased lard arsed American sales.

Agreed.

Man, have they dropped the ball, lately.........  the new Civic etc, etc,.....  Jeez what an ugly design. Looks like a doof, doof-mobile.

12 hours ago, bear351c said:

Agreed.

Man, have they dropped the ball, lately.........  the new Civic etc, etc,.....  Jeez what an ugly design. Looks like a doof, doof-mobile.

seen it at night? looks like a space ship if it's the one with the curvy tail lights. 

i could use that engine pipe i think, looks almost the right shape for the gemini twin outlet manifold i am considering using.(off to jollys website see if any in local wreckers )
nice weather for a few months, is that the sudden motivation?

Let me know if you need any measurements or anything.

Weather, time, longer days all contributed

what size are the pipes (diameter)  gemini one has two 1.5" pipes

Damn Tapatalk and its lack of notifications. Didn't see this until just now. I'll measure them today