macman

1982 XD Falcon van

40 posts in this topic

Here's my XD Falcon panelvan. A Falcon panelvan was always on my list of cars I've always really fancied and the XD being my favourite, so when I found this one I pretty much fell in love and HAD to buy it.

I bought it at the beginning of 2012 and owned it for 4 years before selling it in early 2016. We had a lot going on at home, 5 rego's and nowhere to keep it so something had to give, but we (Mrs and I) always regretted selling it and quite often thought about the time we owned it...

Having sold it almost two years ago, I recently saw it advertised, bought it and have now brought it back home again.

First two photos are what it looked like when I first purchased it in 2012. Previous owner bought it in Victoria and drove it over to WA about a year previous, don't think he'd had it much longer than a year and hadn't done much to it other than remove the 5-post bullbar and dark tint in order to get it rego'd in WA. Previous owner before him had painted it DIY (OK from far but far from OK).

K5B5t5N.jpg

lsa0QOZ.jpg

When I first purchased it, it actually broke down on the way home thanks to some very creative wiring under the dashboard for the LPG system - the first repair job... Close second was to remove the smelly mouldy marine carpet out of the back cargo area.

Front suspension and steering needed an overhaul, new tyres to replace the old 265/50's which actually gave a really harsh ride. Sold the Hotwires and put on S-pack steel wheels, found a good pair of Carello spotlamps, S-pack front lip spoiler and just generally tidied it up.

It was really great fun taking away down south camping. Quite a few bacon and egg breakfasts cooked on a gas stove on the tailgate.

Anyway, it was looking pretty respectable when I sold it:

acCpEEG.jpg

qRdrDKb.jpg

1vp8J7P.jpg

7sWt7Za.jpg

QABt0Su.jpg

Valvebouncer, deankdx, dex and 7 others like this

Admittedly, I bought it back for less $$ than I'd sold it (from the same guy I sold it to) but the rego was in its grace period, no battery, smashed tail light and damaged rear LH 1/4 and the gearbox was out (no clutch).

How I found it:

95vlJ8a.jpg

The last two years have been reasonably harsh to it, it's been in the weather a lot I'd say, there's lots of paint fade which wasn't there before, tops of the door trims are cooked and just generally pretty dusty and dirty (it's done a lot of inland trips to a mine and back). It has had a new petrol pump and fuel lines and did come with spare headlights and some other bits too, which I didn't really need but was grateful for regardless.

Had it taken home:

6OoSVw2.jpg

Damage to the rear 1/4. Spare tail light is just jammed in so I could drive it...

zCRfLev.jpg

Outback Jack and Valvebouncer like this

Not very often one is able to buy their old car back again. It really makes me happy to see people taking care of their panelvans, they're an Aussie icon but they're a dying breed now.

Welcome to Ozfalcon's Cult of the Ford Panelvan! ;)

Outback Jack likes this

Yeah you're right, it's an S-pack.

I put the Sundowner roof spoiler on it some time ago, was really lucky to find it, glad he left it on there. It's pretty sun faded so will also need repainting in the future (as with the roof too). Thankfully he also left the factory AM/FM push-button radio in there - although it's not connected up.

Just finishing repairing the damaged bumperette which still needs repainting before fitment. I just finished repainting the rear 1/4 (just with rattle cans as I don't have a gun or big enough compressor) but it'll be better than it was. I'm hoping it will come up OK with wet and dry and a light buff, hoping it's thick enough...

Done the blackouts on the sill and around the passenger window and 1/4 window in satin black, as close to factory as I can. Always looked a bit weird without the blackouts...

Front passenger door was full of bog and really should be replaced but it's not doing any harm so it'll stay for now and I'll give it some fish oil. I'll just keep an eye out for a good cheap door and replace it sometime in the future.

Popped the cargo windows back in last night. Some sliding windows are on the wish list for bit more ventilation in the back when camping.

Jeez that looks a lot like my brothers old panel van. Do you know where in Vic it came from?
He would've got rid of it around 2005

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

macman likes this

On 30/01/2018 at 5:55 PM, Beardo said:

Jeez that looks a lot like my brothers old panel van. Do you know where in Vic it came from?
He would've got rid of it around 2005

Originally sold from Courtney and Patterson Ford in Heidelberg back in 1982, but that's all I know. Where in VIC it was after that (and before WA) I'm not sure unfortunately. I was told previous owner had a 5-post bull bar on the front. And another giveaway is that the entire LH rear 1/4 has been unpicked and replaced at some stage (probably been accident damaged in the past), it's solid but a bit roughly done.

On 06/02/2018 at 5:35 PM, 2MONTS said:

on ya Dave, I was shocked to see it up for sale but glad you got it back

Thanks! It's good to have it back. But I've still got too many cars (XR sedan, XD van, XE ESP and AU sedan).

Originally sold from Courtney and Patterson Ford in Heidelberg back in 1982, but that's all I know. Where in VIC it was after that (and before WA) I'm not sure unfortunately. I was told previous owner had a 5-post bull bar on the front. And another giveaway is that the entire LH rear 1/4 has been unpicked and replaced at some stage (probably been accident damaged in the past), it's solid but a bit roughly done.
I may have a photo of it floating around somewhere. All i remember from it was it rust free and a very honest car with low kms. He bought it from an older fella here in Castlemaine for about 2 grand

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

macman and Outback Jack like this

I finished off my dodgy LHR 1/4 repairs, all painted one colour again, back on the road and looking half tidy.

I did end up just bogging the LH door back up again. Looks like the outer skin was a replacement on a very rotten original frame. I'll coat inside the door with fish oil and replace the door completely when the rust becomes a problem, the door is really toast but will do for now...

Also replaced all the rubber fuel hoses including the filler neck - they were all pretty old and split. Re-connected the tank breather lines and put an O-ring on the fuel sender unit. No surprises that sorted out the petrol smell...

Just returned from a 1,000km trip down South-West WA for my 30th B'day. Run happily (and safely) on petrol for the first time since I've owned it, so I might now actually remove the gas system. It's up for it's 10 year inspection/service which so far I've been quoted $450 - $600 for, not sure it's worth the money.

The weather down South was warm so we used the tent, gets pretty stuffy sleeping in the back of the panelvan and bright at night with no curtains... Some sort of insulation in the back is part of the future plans but I have finally got a pair of custom made sliding windows on order. Getting made by Windows West who have been hugely helpful and accomodating. The owner has done two sets for Falcon panelvans before. Black powder coated frames, grey tinted safety glass and with flyscreens. Can't wait to get them, but I have chosen to instal them myself. ETA is another week away.

rZ3T93j.jpg

it's back on the road Woo! that's the main thing.. 

can fix rust again any time. what's needed for the 10yr test? in Victoria it's only a tank retest of about $120 ish for APA style(4 separate valves) the multivalve(all in one) costs about $300 odd to test last i heard.  and that's it. 

interested in these side windows, i always wondered if anyone had fitted an XB electric window tailgate and sundowner style top section to a pano, would be interesting for ventilation with the front windows cracked and flyscreen frame put in maybe

macman likes this

23 hours ago, deankdx said:

it's back on the road Woo! that's the main thing.. 

can fix rust again any time. what's needed for the 10yr test? in Victoria it's only a tank retest of about $120 ish for APA style(4 separate valves) the multivalve(all in one) costs about $300 odd to test last i heard.  and that's it. 

interested in these side windows, i always wondered if anyone had fitted an XB electric window tailgate and sundowner style top section to a pano, would be interesting for ventilation with the front windows cracked and flyscreen frame put in maybe

That's what I love about this panelvan is that it's never been more than a weekend or two from being back on the road again, which is important as I don't need/want another full-blown project, just something to tinker with and improve on slowly while using regularly.

Supposedly "valves, checking the tank and new filler hose" but that's pretty vague. To be honest, I don't really know what's involved, don't know if they replace set items or just check and replace where necessary... It is very unclear. Oh and expensive, gas isn't that cheap and NOWHERE we went down South had gas, it seems like a waste of time having it for anything other than to increase range.

Can't wait to see the new sliding windows, it should be ideal for ventilation. We used to crack the front windows down or have the 1/4 windows open but it just lets mozzies in.

Dropped off some spare seat material to local detailers to have cleaned as best as possible. Hoping they come back usable. In which case, will drop the seats and spare material off at the local trimmers and have them re-done.

Before:

MZmeWgW.jpg

Outback Jack and deankdx like this

gas is also good for getting past a carby or fuel tank issue... last week My gemini carby got dirt in it and almost didn't work.. gas would have been fine if i could have flicked over(tempted to convert it to LPG for various reasons)

macman likes this

i reckon preen and napisan would get more of those stains out with a scrubbing brush.. 

wonder if it's worth chucking one in the wash to find out(bit risky, i'd hand wash)

this guy has a lot of great clips on all kinds of things.. 

i reckon preen and napisan would get more of those stains out with a scrubbing brush.. 
wonder if it's worth chucking one in the wash to find out(bit risky, i'd hand wash)

this guy has a lot of great clips on all kinds of things.. 

Looks like across between Sam Simmons and Chris Taylor (from the Chaser).

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

No progress on the seats but I have fitted the new sliding cargo area windows and I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out. Can't wait to "test them out" camping next time, hopefully a lot nicer in the back with the extra air flow and lack of bugs buzzing in.

MCTPia5.jpg

t2NfUNV.jpg

q8Q6K01.jpg

GspecZL, SLO247, thorne and 3 others like this