X-F250

NC Fairlane won't start

Hey fellas

I've had a problem with my NC. Been driving fine since I got it, although the dash lights flicker a little sometimes (probaby due for a new alternator). Last night, I parked in the driveway and locked up the car. When I went to leave for work this afternoon the car simply wouldn't start. Figuring the battery had run low I swapped it out for my spare, but there was no difference. Right now, the only things that seem to work are the interior lights, boot release and the smartlock light on the dash. When I turn the key over there's no dash lights, power windows, etc. Checked the engine earth and it seems fine.

Thanks in advance,

John

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

could be ign switch even. try it a heap of times, if it comes good, its likely the switch.

Cheers, Dean. No luck with it coming good but I swapped the ignition relay out for one I know works and it didn't help so it looks like I'll be looking at a new ignition switch.

Might just be battery, once smartlick goes under a certain voltage it wont unlock like most immobilizers.
Think its about 7V.
Cheap easy fix first?

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Thanks Jack, but it's definitely not the battery. I swapped the new battery out of my Brother's EA, NC still wouldn't start but the EA started fine with the battery out of the Fairlane.

Sometimes the body control module let's go, if you hit the dash just above the handbrake handle you can sometime shock them into working, if that works I suggest you start hunting for a new one

Sometimes the body control module let's go, if you hit the dash just above the handbrake handle you can sometime shock them into working, if that works I suggest you start hunting for a new one
Gave the dash a solid belting, still no luck. I'll have a talk with the old man about borrowing some bits off my brother's wrecked EB wags, getting tired of slumming it in his EA GL.

Yeah, I'm with Thom. punch dash panel in front of left knee. My NF had similar issues, (I think) it's the Smartlock controller in the box, that gets a dry solder joint.

Boxes are different colours in the NF range, depending on the options your car has, if you find that this is the problem. Mine was green, but, can get pink or purple as well, I reckon. 

No cranking at all..?  Car definitely in Park?  Bypass Neutral safety switch on trans.  Bypass starter motor solenoid.?  

If the windows are not working, it's a Smartlock relay...
Sometimes you can remove the oxidisation off the relay contacts by rapidly jiggling the Accessories and/or interior light fuse in and out.

Failing that, you'll have to remove the Smartlock module and do it the hard way.