Crustydog

Deciphering engine number

Thanks for the help guys. My xe wagon is a 1984 model so apparently I need a engineer's report as they stopped v8 Cleveland's in 1982 or 83. The only bonus is it's a matching numbers 6cyl, 4spd s pack wagon with books.

15 minutes ago, Paul F said:

Thanks for the help guys. My xe wagon is a 1984 model so apparently I need a engineer's report as they stopped v8 Cleveland's in 1982 or 83. The only bonus is it's a matching numbers 6cyl, 4spd s pack wagon with books.

i still reckon the 6cyl is a better engine in XD XE XF 

handling alone , let alone better on fuel.. they can be made to go MUCH better if needed, but if i had one again i'd keep it stock. *(unless it was a 3.3.. then it would need a 4.1 conversion)

6 minutes ago, deankdx said:

i still reckon the 6cyl is a better engine in XD XE XF 

handling alone , let alone better on fuel.. they can be made to go MUCH better if needed, but if i had one again i'd keep it stock. *(unless it was a 3.3.. then it would need a 4.1 conversion)

Thanks mate, it does run great & very reliable. I should probably keep it original anyway.

1 hour ago, bear351c said:

Meh... who needs to go round corners, and stop, and handle.

Pussies.  😁

i'm wondering if i'm even allowed to go buy fuel at the moment.. and the nearest fuel station is less than 1km away.

10 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Your in vic arnt you

yep, hard lockdown now, only allowed to go 5km radius from home if it's for medical, food,  or essential work .. something else maybe but we've had a woolworths delivery to avoid the shops, click and collect on chemist, postie stops by every second day practically..

i live not far from the border where the brandenberg gate is patrolled by the hawaii 5/0 ,when i take my ute for its daily run on the freeway signs are everywhere LAST EXIT before NSW,woooops better do a u turn and head back north son,so i click the shifter back into 2nd and floor it back to saftey zone,no zombies here😂

4 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

gate is patrolled by the hawaii 5/0

a mate of mine got lit up by the cops just yesterday parked in a small shopping center for the chemist, they treated him like a criminal parking across the back of his car  and boxed him in.. gave him the 3rd degree (was literally just going to the post office(doens't have a mail box at home) chemist and get some bread/milk etc. 

asked to open the bonnet, picked on his car for RWC issues(didn't give a canary though..) 

cops will be losing respect from the anti maskers conspiracies etc.. but normal people getting pulled up just going out for essentials getting lit up like they've robbed a bank seems a bit excessive. 

i cant belive i havent been lit up in the xf 400 v8 ute  with 2 bonnett scoops and loud twin exhaust and given the 3rd degree about the engine swap even tho i have the engine mod plate,its still bait around here,but even when the crossy was in there with air filter coming out of bonnet no interest either ,i guess when cops in your local area get to know your car and your not hooning they loose interest until the LSD cuts loose🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah good spotting there@FORD_MAN , the "D" is just the screw head like there is at the other end and the "0" is just a phantom marking that doesn't correlate to anything except maybe denoting that it's an Aussie casting using a US mould? The OP hasn't specified foundry marks (early ones still had Cf despite being cast at Geelong) but that's not relevant except for the fact that Aussie iron is heaps harder.

The only relevant numbers here are for the D2AE CA bit:

D2 = 1972 design
A= full-size passenger car
E = engineering

CA = Cleveland type

And engine number will tell you what it came out of locally (matches chassis number)

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Ok cool. So being a black block its cast in Oz with the better steel and not cast in the us? Sorry , confused. Are the d2ae blocks from the us? And they are cast differently  with a small dizzy hole and longer block? Thanks for your help with the screw (haha) and phantom o.... 

Ok cool. So being a black block its cast in Oz with the better steel and not cast in the us? Sorry , confused. Are the d2ae blocks from the us? And they are cast differently  with a small dizzy hole and longer block? Thanks for your help with the screw (haha) and phantom o.... 
The D2AE-CA marking just means it's a Cleveland, whether it not it's cast here or in the States. Pretty much after 1974, they were cast here. Are you sure it's a black block? What's the date code on the casting? That will be a separate number made up of 4 digits. First one is year, second is month (letter), 3rd and 4th are day of the month. So it should read 8E27 if it was a 27 May, 1978 casting.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk