Server maintenance Read more... ×
Crustydog

Deciphering engine number

I know this has been covered before and it has helped me to work some of it out but im not sure about the year. The engine  number starts off with - ALIJTP

From what i can make out its an American block from a f100 4x2

Any help would be appreciated cheers

If it's from a 1977 F100 it won't be a US-cast 351C, as they stopped making them in the States after 74. All US "cleveland" type engines cast after that were 400s or 351Ms.

Ford H/D commercials have a different kind of chassis number to a Falcon, so your engine number starting with "A" is correct for an F-series. The last digit on the engine/chassis number should tell you what engine it is (pre- or post- ADR36 V8). Going off what info you have, it should read something like:

ALIJTP------C

A = USA
L = Broadmeadows (Commercial) Ass'y Plant
1J = F100 4x2
T = 1977
P = April
(serial number)
C = emissions spec 351 V8

To confirm if it's an Aussie-cast block, it should have a "GF" (Geelong Foundry) in the top of the block next to the oil pressure sender. US-cast has "CF" (Cleveland Foundry) with the "C" wrapped around the "F".

The part number starting with D2 is no indication of country of origin as the Aussie casting has no significant changes from the US one: they are both "square" blocks as opposed to the earlier "D" blocks. (D0VE for example). The only differences I can think of are the casting methods and the hardness of the material ie: Aussie blocks used a harder iron.

The fact that it came from an F100 doesn't mean it has any mechanical significance over one that came from a Falcon, other than perhaps having double fan belt pulleys or whatever other heavy duty items the trucks might have had (dunno exactly).

My 302 clevo came from a 1975 XB ute and was US-cast (very close to the changeover date to Aussie production). Yours would definitely be a locally cast block.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gerg said:

If it's from a 1977 F100 it won't be a US-cast 351C, as they stopped making them in the States after 74. All US "cleveland" type engines cast after that were 400s or 351Ms.

Ford H/D commercials have a different kind of chassis number to a Falcon, so your engine number starting with "A" is correct for an F-series. The last digit on the engine/chassis number should tell you what engine it is (pre- or post- ADR36 V8). Going off what info you have, it should read something like:

ALIJTP------C

A = USA
1J = F100 4x2
T = 1977
P = April
(serial number)
C = emissions spec 351 V8

To confirm if it's an Aussie-cast block, it should have a "GF" (Geelong Foundry) in the top of the block next to the oil pressure sender. US-cast has "CF" (Cleveland Foundry) with the "C" wrapped around the "F".

The part number starting with D2 is no indication of country of origin as the Aussie casting has no significant changes from the US one: they are both "square" blocks as opposed to the earlier "D" blocks. (D0VE for example). The only differences I can think of are the casting methods and the hardness of the material ie: Aussie blocks used a harder iron.

The fact that it came from an F100 doesn't mean it has any mechanical significance over one that came from a Falcon, other than perhaps having double fan belt pulleys or whatever other heavy duty items the trucks might have had (dunno exactly).

My 302 clevo came from a 1975 XB ute and was US-cast (very close to the changeover date to Aussie production). Yours would definitely be a locally cast block.

Thats where it gets confusing. I have no idea what vehicle it originally came out of, i removed it from an xb sedan. But the engine number tells us its a US block from a 77 f100? Yet they stopped making them in the usa in 74. So how is a US block marked for 1977?

Thats where it gets confusing. I have no idea what vehicle it originally came out of, i removed it from an xb sedan. But the engine number tells us its a US block from a 77 f100? Yet they stopped making them in the usa in 74. So how is a US block marked for 1977?

Ok it's a bit hard to explain but during assembly, the engine number takes on whatever chassis it goes into, regardless of where the engine was made. In your case, it's a truck chassis assembled here from US-made parts. If it was cast in 77, it's a local block. Around that time, we were starting to export the blocks back to the US for NASCAR use, so they were well and truly used up over there.

Another example: My Cortina engine number started with "CG58" as that's what a Cortina chassis came with, despite the engine being a locally made 6.

C = Great Britain
G = Geelong assembly
58 = Cortina 6-cyl GL sedan

Any clevo will bolt straight into any vehicle that had a Clevo as an option. In my case, an XB ute engine ended up being rebuilt for someone's F100 which was never installed but sold to me to go into my XE wagon. See what I mean? A lot can happen in 40-odd years so it's no surprise that your block ended up in a Falcon.

Hi All. I'm hoping someone might be able to fill in some of the blanks for me on an engine I've just bought - it's a cleveland 351, 2 bolt mains with 2v Aussie heads.

The casting is D2AE-CA & 7B28  : So cast 28th Feb 1977

Engine No: AL4KTA51612K

A = USA
4K = ?
T = 1977
A = January
51612 = serial number
K = ?

Any help appreciated.

Here's a breakdown of your codes from Xfalcon (go down a few posts)

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1192-code-breaking-your-motor/page-7

The 4K means body configuration. Yours is an F100 4x4.

K on the end of the engine/chassis number just means V8.

So it's a locally made 351C out of an imported F-series CKD kit.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Hi I am having trouble Decoding my v8 Cleveland for all its info. I need to get it correct for regency park approval paper work before I fit it, can anyone please help. I keep getting stuck or I am just stupid. HA,HA. My Engine No is: JH63WT15958K & Cast No is: D2AE-CA, underneath that is 9B15. Thanks Paul

2 hours ago, Paul F said:

Hi I am having trouble Decoding my v8 Cleveland for all its info. I need to get it correct for regency park approval paper work before I fit it, can anyone please help. I keep getting stuck or I am just stupid. HA,HA. My Engine No is: JH63WT15958K & Cast No is: D2AE-CA, underneath that is 9B15. Thanks Paul

It's from an 08/79 Fairlane - JG63WT

15B9 = block casting date code = 15/02/79

46 minutes ago, gerg said:

JH = Brisbane build

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, gerg said:

JH = Brisbane build

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Have fun at Regency....

What project is it going in, I just handed in a Form for an engine swap, MR21 or something.?  If the car came out with Clevos should be simple.  If it's from interstate, then Vehicle Inspection Centre on Naweena st, car must be driven in, not on a car trailer. 

1 hour ago, bear351c said:

Have fun at Regency....

What project is it going in, I just handed in a Form for an engine swap, MR21 or something.?  If the car came out with Clevos should be simple.  If it's from interstate, then Vehicle Inspection Centre on Naweena st, car must be driven in, not on a car trailer. 

I have a xe s pack 6 cylinder wagon with SA rego, wanting to put a v8 Clevo in it. Have to apply to regency for regulations before I fit.

Don't think a lot has changed, but, I've done 3 or 4 engine swaps, and not needed to go to Regency. XE came out with Clevo's so should be a change of engine form, and pay the difference in rego from a 6 to an 8.