CHESTNUTXE

CROSSY CORTINA DIFFERENCE

Hey what is the difference between a std falcon crossflow and a cortina engine,is it the dipstick location ? i heard somewhere the sump and main caps are different as well ? can anyone shed some light on this and can it be put back to a falcon engine.

Sump design is reversed - drops down at the back rather than front. Pickup is different to suit.

Most blocks have two casts for dipstick, one drilled for Falcons if used in Falcon, other used for Cortina.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes correct, the blocks have two pads cast into them, Falcons only have the front one drilled, Cortinas have both drilled with the front one plugged by a ball bearing
And one of the main caps have a threaded hole for the oil pump pick up support, in cortina.
The main cap itself is the same but the bolts are special ones with 5/16" studs sticking out of the heads for the pickup. I remember this from having to remove the main cap bolts upside down with the engine on a hoist out in a paddock. I think it's #5 cap from memory (sorry it's been 20 years since i saw it)
ok so if i just put a falcon sump on it and used the falcon pick up it can be changed back yeah ?
I did this in reverse: a Falcon block into my Corty. Only differences are dipstick tube drillings.

I just used a banjo fitting on the sump plug as a dipstick tube. You should take the main bolts out and put the normal bolts back in just to keep all the Cortina bits together. That way, any engine can be converted with those bits.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I knew it was something like that with the pick up tube, but it's been 30 years since I owned a Corty.

but I'll disagree with you on the dipstick tube hole in the block.

ive got a XD sitting here at the moment with a ball bearing in the rear hole, and it's a numbers matching car.

I knew it was something like that with the pick up tube, but it's been 30 years since I owned a Corty.

but I'll disagree with you on the dipstick tube hole in the block.

ive got a XD sitting here at the moment with a ball bearing in the rear hole, and it's a numbers matching car.

Forgot to mention mine was an XF block, which obviously didn't need the rear drilling as by then they'd stopped making Cortys.

So you're saying that up to the end of the TF & XD, all blocks were drilled the same for both cars? Makes sense now (I stand corrected)

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

No cortina's dipstick is further back and iirc the est dizzy has a different shaft size to the earlier block, i recently fitted an early xf dizzy to my cortina with an msd 6al, works a treat compared to the old points piece of crap.

Nice one, he wanted 130 when I offered him 75, but I’m in no rush for engine parts yet, still got to finish panel work. Saying that if you want to swap the c2 head for a c1 let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk