Server maintenance Read more... ×
dex

Supercharger

OP Dex was referring to a roots type kit blower, with carbs & chrome and blower whine being favoured over outright hp or hp per dollar. Cool factor is the priority. 

Procharger, Vortech etc are all centrifugal blowers which are not only different in their characteristics by the way they deliver boost to positive displacement blowers (like roots or Whipple type). They also look totally different, they're basically a turbo with a gearbox and belt pulley on the back. They don't possess the "cool factor" of a the positive displacement blower in the same way that turbos don't  (if you regard that look as cool). 

I can see how a centrifugal blower would be appealing especially in kit form, their bolt on nature and linear power delivery making good gains in peak & midrange hp and easy to tune. They can make some huge hp numbers with big cube v8s especially, but still aren't as efficient as turbos, can have belt slip and aren't exactly cheap. 

I love the look of big shiny blowers with carbs on top, especially when they were all the rage back in the 80's and early 90's and i always wanted to do a mid 70's x series falcon with one on a 250 with fats on the arse and a trick paint job with graphics. But after seeing some of my better funded mates with torries and kingswoods being harrassed and defected by coppers over and over again (i always told them it was the dickheads in a holden not the blowers that attracted coppers) who had a gm style blower or tunnel ram hanging out of the bonnet i quickly decided it was pretty pointless on a road car and aside from the FUCK THATS AWESOME factor, they are pretty useless, hot, cranky and don't make anywhere near as much power as decent turbo or centrifugal blower, however they still do look the business on a show car or burnout car.

I've been thinking about something different for my cortina and while a blower would look cool i do want to drive the car but i still want that retro classic look and i reckon the draw through carb turbo kits look just as cool as a blower and are more practical as far as much old school tech can be, efi turbo would be the best option but ruins the character of older classics in my opinion.

I can think of too many cons to pony up for a roots blower so it'll just remain a cool dream for me, but i'll still get a chubby when i see one on an old school car.

9 hours ago, matt_lamb_160 said:

And about 40 posts and 10 days and no contribution from you in your own thread? The superchargers got a good run and some good examples have been shown.

I agree with Sly on the blow thru centrifugal setup if top end it the aim. They are smaller (easier to package) and can go blow thru LPG easily. Cost is still high. I was going to use a Rotrex on mine, but ended up turbo (haha).

If you want to go roots or twin screw style, I would look at PRO250s supercharged XF thread (it might have been on the other forum).

I also like this, still not sold on using this type of blower in a blow thru configuration though:

I love the look of big shiny blowers with carbs on top, especially when they were all the rage back in the 80's and early 90's and i always wanted to do a mid 70's x series falcon with one on a 250 with fats on the arse and a trick paint job with graphics. But after seeing some of my better funded mates with torries and kingswoods being harrassed and defected by coppers over and over again (i always told them it was the dickheads in a holden not the blowers that attracted coppers) who had a gm style blower or tunnel ram hanging out of the bonnet i quickly decided it was pretty pointless on a road car and aside from the FUCK THATS AWESOME factor, they are pretty useless, hot, cranky and don't make anywhere near as much power as decent turbo or centrifugal blower, however they still do look the business on a show car or burnout car.
I've been thinking about something different for my cortina and while a blower would look cool i do want to drive the car but i still want that retro classic look and i reckon the draw through carb turbo kits look just as cool as a blower and are more practical as far as much old school tech can be, efi turbo would be the best option but ruins the character of older classics in my opinion.
I can think of too many cons to pony up for a roots blower so it'll just remain a cool dream for me, but i'll still get a chubby when i see one on an old school car.

The Engine Masters episode pretty much put that argument to bed. Looks aside, running similar boost between rootes type and centrifugal and the latter won out by 60hp or so purely by less parasitic loss. You can easily intercool too unlike on a GM blower. Only advantage of the rootes is it comes on strong down low whereas the centrifugal builds with speed.

I remember my brother's VX Berlina with the factory blower. Great midrange but a little underwhelming up top, no quicker really than an AU XR6.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

which is funny because the Jag used the same M90 blower and made the Berlina look pedestrian and weighted more than the Berlina ... keep in mind that both the holden and ford camp protected the V8's as much as they could from their 6 cyl counter parts

13 hours ago, matt_lamb_160 said:

And about 40 posts and 10 days and no contribution from you in your own thread? The superchargers got a good run and some good examples have been shown.

I agree with Sly on the blow thru centrifugal setup if top end it the aim. They are smaller (easier to package) and can go blow thru LPG easily. Cost is still high. I was going to use a Rotrex on mine, but ended up turbo (haha).

If you want to go roots or twin screw style, I would look at PRO250s supercharged XF thread (it might have been on the other forum).

I also like this, still not sold on using this type of blower in a blow thru configuration though:

As i was interested to see if someone would pipe up that has done such a kit ,,,

With answers to the clear questions i asked . 

Tips , parts needed etc etc . 

and curiosity to see how long before turbo would be mentioned :P

Hey guys, I just came across this thread and joined up.    I have just built a supercharged crossflow for my vauxhall Gasser Drag car.    I’ve got a YouTube channel TasTuned which has a few details and also a Facebook page.    A few weeks ago I actually had a drag race with Rob Thorpe in SLY250 at Wilby.   He won!!    But the boost has now been upped and i plan to get it on the dyno soon to get her running perfect. 

BE4FF010-D27C-42B5-8626-E6BA80BC8D79.jpeg

45 minutes ago, TasTuned said:

Hey guys, I just came across this thread and joined up.    I have just built a supercharged crossflow for my vauxhall Gasser Drag car.    I’ve got a YouTube channel TasTuned which has a few details and also a Facebook page.    A few weeks ago I actually had a drag race with Rob Thorpe in SLY250 at Wilby.   He won!!    But the boost has now been upped and i plan to get it on the dyno soon to get her running perfect. 

video link to one of the youtube vids i'll watch later, 

build sounds interesting, SLY250 has spent a lot of time getting dialed in.. shakes up the V8 field with it even