Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Xf Efi problems

Didn't know that, Chris.  Tried to find one a couple of years ago for the ZL, but none were available. 
Same as this fella....?
25782964108_f6febdebb2_b.jpg  
Yeah, without the Ford logo obviously. If I remember tomorrow at work I'll see if they're still avaliable. Weren't cheap though.
Yes that’s the one mate. That controls the idle at all temperature? So it’s basically like a choke on cold start aswell? 
Yeah it's basically a choke for cold starts, also bumps the idle up when A/C is on, and ensures the engine stays running under decellaration.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Didn't know that, Chris.  Tried to find one a couple of years ago for the ZL, but none were available. 
Same as this fella....?
25782964108_f6febdebb2_b.jpg  
Definitely still available, we've got 10 in the Repco warehouses. Pricey though, $291 is retail.
Comes under the part name "Idle Speed Motor".

Update for all you.

Rocker went back on with all lifter rockers and pushrods torqued all installed,

i picked up a silver xf efi complete, 

Everything efi out of it and used the bits I needed to tidy up mine and have spares, 

swapped the isc unit and the maf airbox over and few of the vaccine hoses, 

also swapped tailshafts as mine was a huge round one on the end I’m pretty sure it’s out of el? For the one without the big dome around it hard to explain. 

At the start up it wasn’t running right, with all the new stuff until about 5 minutes in when it tuned itself I reckon and it’s amazing!! No stalling no leaks, there is still a slight ticking which is fare as the live may be worn. I’m going to put thicker oil aswell. 

mths car is running no tailpipe at the moment as the tailpipe I have is the stock and my extractors back is 2.5inch so it’s loud...

next. 

Clean up the wiring. Am I able to connect the wires all together so I don’t have that many on the terminal? And tips on cleaning it up?

once I’m happy with it and everything is up to my standards and running as good as a daily it’ll go in for the rust in the boot seal and the bit in the rear mud guard cut out and respray, anyone recommend someone for the job, not looking for a show car finish just a going over as a neat car. 

Cheers everyone who helped appreciate it and there will be more to come! 

Glad you got her running good mate. As for rust repair, check out the repairs Rod “2redrovers” has been doing on this forum. Thread title is “my cars and whatever’s in the shop” or something like that. Outstanding quality of work, not just a cheap patch up job that’s for sure

Alright guys! Saturday I’m doing a service on it! What oil do you recommend!! Plug brand and type. And leads! Also as it’s a 85 model, should I be running 91-95 with additive? Cheers

No need for fuel additive as it's alloy head which come with hardened valve seats. Plus the heads are cast by Honda - who were using unleaded fuel long before Ford Aus.

I run Penrite Classic Light in mine - a 20W-60 specially designed for use in infrequently driven cars. If yours is a daily driver I'd go Penrite HPR30 (still 20W-60).

Both my xflows run Champion plugs. One has Repco plug leads (made by Bosch) and the other has Champion leads.

Cheers mate interesting, I just thought the 85 pre needed additive as it was leaded. 

With the oil is that more of a protective oil? Just looking more for something that is good on the engine for its age, 

I remember when I first took all my plugs out to see what was going wrong with the car when I first started having problems and the very back one was so thick with oil and deadset sludge all on the threads it was so thick! I’ll try get a photo one day up of it! Never seen anythin like it! 

it won't need an additive, Alloy heads already are fine for unleaded fuel. 

91 is crap, i don't even use it in the lawnmower.. you should try a full tank of each and see if you get better economy and you will probably feel the difference of the 95. i suspect you'll get better fuel economy from 95.. 

i ran Penrite HPR30 in mine, but the penrite app i have lists HPR15 so will depend how worn it is(Shell had an oil for older engines that used to shut up noisy lifters a bit more, was 25/50 i think) 

as for oil and plugs, i used NGK ZGR6B11 in carby models(on Lpgas), i assume it's same for EFi?

Chis(Mr Polson) above works for Repco, and runs an efi crossflow also so he'd be worth taking advice from in a car that is standard.. if it was reconditioned, or extra sludgy then you'd consider asking an engine reconditioner what they'd suggest, but a worn out rattly crossflow doesn't need life support.. they are pretty hard to kill unless thrashed hard(even then the auto will probably die first )

I ran my ZL on 95, pinged it's head off on 91. That was a 'leaded' engine. She loved 98 octane. 

Penrite has always done me well, as I dont street race, (anymore :rolleyes:)  and get good quality leads, Bosch etc.. make sure you have a good distributor cap and rotor too. 

With the oil is that more of a protective oil? Just looking more for something that is good on the engine for its age, 

Yes and no. Penrite say it's really good for less used cars as the oil stays on the internal surfaces a lot longer, reducing corrosion, and metal on metal friction on start up after longer non running intervals.

If it's a car driven more than once a week I'd go HPR30, the crossflow in my ute loved it before I started using the Classic Light.

You might even get away with HPR15 (which is a Full Synthetic 15W-60) depending on the internal condition of the motor. Last time I had a 15W oil in my ute it rattled on cold starts though

Hi all, is there a way to get the leades a different colour? Wanna get them but do I have to order them if to be a different colour? Cheers! Or anyone know a brand that does them different colour? 

Yea mate I know the Bosch ones, but wanting them in a red colour way, no brand does it expect eagle, just wanting to tidy everything up as my engine bay looks very crap, and all old components, ahaha today I cleaned out both washer bottles! Took abit though. Little things count for me at the moment! 

Personally the only problem I have had with my lifter was actually to do with the Rocker. Some bright spark ground the rocker down. New set of rockers and it was all good.

You wont find an ISC, nobody makes them. Can pull yours to bits, and clean it, and try and put it back together, or get a second hand one.
Try and find a wrecked ZL Fairlane with EFI, same engine.....  
Hey Bear try P.E.C. mate.
They have just about every sensor- controller you'll need.
If I can't find something electrical- electronic I go there.
From memory an XG one was $120-130.... so can't be much more than that.
Will be a lot cheaper than that repco clown price. Hahaha... what a joke.

Good to see ya getting ya crossy going mate.
Listen to Dean.... he's onto it.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk