Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Xf Efi problems

Far out if I knew this earlier would have left them 2 in for now! Hopefully tomorrow I can drop them in through the big hole, push it across so I can see it through the first whole then magnet the top of it and push down if that makes sense. I’ll ive it a crack tomorrow hopefully! Don’t want to take the head off as that’s defiantly not on my level :unsure:

you can definitely get them in with the head on.. just need to be good at inventing things..
i ground down the tip of a coat hanger from memory that fitted in the lifter top hole, bent the wire so it hooked in and guided it into position and dropped it in..

need to be good at the game "operation" 

FQSFG48FB0B260G.SMALL.gif

I spent a day and a half trying to get them in with the head on. Came very close many times, definitely believe it's possible if you can be patient enough.

Ended up frustrated, went and bought a head gasket, think it was about 30 minutes to remove head, install lifters, reinstall head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah the hardest part of doing the head gasket is getting the remains of the old gasket off.
Was easy in my case as the motor was 10,000kms old from a full rebuild

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mine was an original ford gasket and well stuck, finally got it all nice and clean then someone suggested a good coat of hylomar. Brilliant I thought, till the bloody head bolt broke on final torque down so I had the pleasure of repeating the process all over again 🤬

Far out after a long time got them all in with the head in!! Pretty happy some of the new ones went in fine some of the other ones where fuckin tight and had to push and twist... hit but there finally in Ye wow, I cut a piece of coat hanger straight and had the magnet guide it into spot then push coat hanger down so it will keep the lifter in place then got the lifter puller and attached it trough the top and clamped it on was a massive headache but pretty happy that I got it done by myself! Cheers all for the help! Next step bolting everything up! And on my last lifter to put in... the puller broke just in time that it was all finished though. That’ll be the next step! Have a pic of what I looked like in the engine bay on imgur https://imgur.com/gallery/a0p3M

That front one was the pain of them all. The back ones alright as you can still see through the larger whole! The front one is pitch black and you have to guide it very gently then try and use the shitty lifter pullers which would slip off to get it halfway in then I got a socket extension to lightly tap the of the way in but when it was in it had great movement up and down! Finally getting somewhere now! Just going to make sure when I go back out that they are all seated prepped let them I go to torquing them down. Someone said it was 33nm on the rocker bolts I’m pretty sure correct me if I’m wrong! I’ll keep you all posted! 

Cheers mate, next step will be the rocker arms and pushrods! Then how should I go about turning the car over? I had some feedback before but didn’t get a 100% way to make sure everything is going fine with the rocker cover off? Do I go by turning it over by hand near the fan belt area? Sorry don’t know the correct term for that. Or is there another way? Won’t to not skip any steps want to do everything possible so I don’t need to take it off again for a stupid mistake as I’ve had way to many! 

Anyway away way from the car, where are you guys based? Do you have any cruises/day outs? 

Emilio 

Socket and bar on the crankshaft.  Bottom pulley, between rad and engine, inside will be a bolt. Turn clockwise, towards passenger seat when standing in front of the car. May work the opposite direction, but, bolt might come undone.

We're spread out everywhere, but the majority seems to be in Melbourne/Victoria. A few in Bris-Vegas & NQL, a couple in Sydney, some in SA and also Tassie, and even a few that aren't from East Island bro

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Cheers Bear351

Thats mad didn’t think there could be all about the same thing on one forum! Half the ones these days are all clowns! 

Ill keep you updated hopefully Saturday have the time to get it all settled in and started up! 

Hi all! Have put all the lifter pushrods and rockers back in! Have torqued them down to 34-36 nm. Question all of them are torqued but 2 of the lifters right next to each other don’t spring back all the other ones I can push down and there’s abit of movement is this normal? When installing the push rod I did test to see if they retract and they did just when tightening down 2 have gone hard, I haven’t tried cranking the engine with a socket yet, any inputs? Cheers 

But it is the 2 right next to each other exhaust and intake side ones, everything is all torqued down and ready for me to crank it over by hand which will be tomorrow just want to be sure it’s okay before I go ahead. Are they meant to be like a starting stroke or something like that so that’s why there hard them two? Cheers Emilio 

Not sure mate, anyway to tell? I was thinking that, should I just try hand cranking it? If I loosen the rocker it’ll spring back just under full tension 2 are already rock hard. Cheers for info 

4 hours ago, Emilio said:

Not sure mate, anyway to tell? I was thinking that, should I just try hand cranking it? If I loosen the rocker it’ll spring back just under full tension 2 are already rock hard. Cheers for info 

can you upload any pics,  i've been out all day and busy and brain fried when i get home. 
but you might just have a situation where those valves are open or opening(say an inlet on one cyl and an exhaust next to it..if i had enough brain power i would go through the firing order and see if this could be side by side...)

if you turn the engine over with the bolt on the pulley it wont impact anything else but those valves will close should be easy to do up in My opinion.. Check with @gerg if this would be correct before just trying it. photos make a lot of sense when we the terminology or explanation is a bit hard to make sense of

Hey mate, cheers

alright if your looking at the head front on it’s the 4th and 5th rocker up that is hard. It was easy to do up with the torque bar but just doesn’t spring back when tensioned like the others, I haven’t tried cranking with the socket as I don’t want anything to happen and want to follow the correct steps, I can’t really show you in a photo as it will just look all the same as there bolted down.