PapouGhia

Xf Efi problems

I don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I think dex might have been suggesting that the motor should be turned over so that when pulling the rockers down that it’s not fighting valve spring tension. That’s just the way I understood what he was saying as previous conversation was that the motor shouldn’t be turned over too much without oil being properly primed up

I've never worried about tightening down rocker bolts when the valve happens to be open. I just put plenty of grease on the thread so it doesn't chew out, and go slowly with the rattle gun. The bolts are grade 8 so can take a beating.

Best scenario would be to use 5/16" studs unc one end, unf the other (short of going 7/16" stud conversion)

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Ando81 said:

I don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I think dex might have been suggesting that the motor should be turned over so that when pulling the rockers down that it’s not fighting valve spring tension. That’s just the way I understood what he was saying as previous conversation was that the motor shouldn’t be turned over too much without oil being properly primed up emoji1303.png

Thats exactly the direction i was going with the question , 

have heard of pushrods being bent trying to fight against valve spring tension . 

Ive always done rockers up by winding over to get the cam lobe away from the lifter on each available cylinder 

3 hours ago, Ando81 said:

I don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I think dex might have been suggesting that the motor should be turned over so that when pulling the rockers down that it’s not fighting valve spring tension. That’s just the way I understood what he was saying as previous conversation was that the motor shouldn’t be turned over too much without oil being properly primed up emoji1303.png

Thats exactly the direction i was going with the question , 

have heard of pushrods being bent trying to fight against valve spring tension . 

Ive always done rockers up by winding over to get the cam lobe away from the lifter on each available cylinder 

If pushing a valve down with the rocker is enough to bend a pushrod, wouldn't you just bend all of them the first time you cranked the engine?

Sounds more like another problem like the cam timing being out and tightening a valve down on top of a piston.

Cheers all for the feedback, I’m going to let them sit in a container of oil overnight, hopefully by Saturday I’ll have some time to install them back in and get everything back together. And fingers crossed it works as I’m nearly at the stage of cracking it, 

also what do you all use as a sealant for the rocker? Some say use a gasket some say don’t? Use the gasket glue from the gun ect... anyone around the Melbourne,Mount Waverley area to assist with this process on Friday or Sat night?

Cheers Emilio 

I've never used a paper gasket on my EFI xflows and they don't leak.

Up until recently I've just used a light smear of grey or black "Sika" gasket RTV.

Earlier this year though I bought a Speco rubber rocker cover gasket and installed that. You will probably need longer bolts to be able to clamp it down if you went that way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just got all the rockers and pushrods and lifters out, some where easy some where difficult, didn’t take more than 25 mins though, was very helpful I had an extendable magnet that could pick them up once pulled fully out,looked at all of the lifters all are same size and one is like slight slightly shorter, not sure if it’s just my eyes though,

When reinstalling the lifters, they will have to go in on an angle as I can’t get them straight in on every second rocker if that makes sense. 

I have uploaded photos on imgr if you would like to see. And is there a way I can share them in comments so I don’t have to send link?  https://imgur.com/user/dimaaa3125

Cheers Emilio 

Yes All in order mate,going tomorrow to get some assembly lube, the new lifters are in a bucket right now pruning up hopefully tomorrow I can go putting all together! Will keep you guys posted if you like, new to this forum but loving the experienced help. 

Cheers, hopefully I can get this sorted, one of the lifters was shorter though, the rest where all about the same,ahh it’s still being a pain trying to upload a photo not just the link! Tomorrow I’ll be installing the lifters, pushrods and rockers on Saturday. Hard to get time off work

If one lifter is shorter your cam is junk you will need a new one and a new set of lifters, you will find that the lobe the shorter lifter came from is worn down too and there is no way you could put it back together without a new cam and lifters without it being noisey and running rough

It’s more temperamental at the moment guys till I get the funds to do the whole rebuild.ill keep you guys posted how it goes, hopefully can get in all together tonight had a early finish!!! 

That's not a good Idea, the dead cam lobe will wipe out the brand new lifter immediately and you will end up with metal all throughout your engine potentially destroying the whole thing

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten"

"the poor man pays twice"

Never a truer word spoken, in each instance.

Here's a good, well-priced, decent quality cam for you (it's the "stage 1")

http://www.precisionintl.com/BrandSearch.aspx?Brand=Dynotec&Make=22&Model=&Engine=446

How am I meant to get the first and last lifter in!!? You don’t have enough space to get it in with the magnet or the puller through the top! Is there a specific way to get it in? Or just keep trying! Getting so close guys! Thanks for all the feedback as well hope I can come out for a cruise once it at least steady build 

Head off for front and back lifter.

Well that's the easiest way anyway.
From memory you may be able to put them down the larger cavities and try and get them into the correct holes, but when I done mine years ago (XF wagon, EFI, wiped a cam lobe), I just gave up and took the head off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk